seanpistol's 01 Tundra

seanpistol

Explorer
I noticed Scotty over at www.addictedoffroad.com has a new plate bumper made up for taco's debuting Dec 1st. Think we could get enough tundra owners to clamor for a tundra version? I personally think it is the best looking bumper Scotty has produced to date. He also has his regular tundra tube bumper for under $600 which is a nice option too.

This would be awesome... I have pondered purchasing his tube bumper, but I would add plate to it... this is pretty much what I'm looking for.

seanpistol

Explorer
I sent an email to see if he'd have interest in making that bumper for a 1 gen tundra, haven't heard anything back yet but i said i'd buy one in a heartbeat. maybe all of us interested should go ahead and send them an email so he can see that he'd actually sell a few

stclair

Adventurer
I sent an email to see if he'd have interest in making that bumper for a 1 gen tundra, haven't heard anything back yet but i said i'd buy one in a heartbeat. maybe all of us interested should go ahead and send them an email so he can see that he'd actually sell a few

Done. Might try the same for CBI. I've been after them for a while about bumpers, front and rear. If they knew people would buy them, maybe there could be a few more options for us.

seanpistol

Explorer
Cool, I emailed CBI as well, I like their stuff.

I went to Sheppard AFB in Texas for 6 months earlier this year and contacted a few companies about using my truck as a template while I was gone. I was trying to get the message across that us 1-gen Tundra guys need a clean high and tight high-clearance off road bumper because everything available is sticks out too far, hangs too low, weighs too much, and for the most part is just flat out ugly and overpriced. The only one that seemed to bite was Expedition One here in Utah. They said they'd keep my truck and design something to sell to the 1st gen guys and I'd actually get to keep the bumper in return. Last minute they decided there was no 1 gen Tundra market and offered to fit one of their bumpers off a Dodge 1500 for $900. Ha! No thanks. Demello and All-Pro also said there was no 1-gen Tundra market, but one of them said they'd custom make one starting at $1800 or something crazy. I can't remember who else I contacted at that time. I contacted a couple local fabricators because I know what I want and they all gave me the runaround and ultimately said they had bigger and better things to do than make a bumper.

I do like the Addicted Bumper, but it needs plate along with the tube to protect the radiator from sticks, road salt, rocks, etc. I would want some buckets to keep driving fog lights (preferably the round ones off the 03+ Tundras). It also needs some plate on top as a step in my opinion. The ARB Sahara bar is probably the fugliest bumper that ARB makes. Everything else is just huge, like Iron Bull, Aluminess, etc. Why can't anyone make something like that new Addicted Offroad bumper on that red solid axle Taco?

535018_10151707801174961_438610679_n.jpg

Jamacee

Observer
Sean, I feel ya brother. I texted Scotty at AOR and he replied "Not gonna happen for Tundras sorry".

Now keep in mind Scotty hasn't even released that taco bumper yet. He just started taking pre-orders for Dec 1 debut date.

I think if someone spearheaded a grassroots movement on all the tundra pages and brought enough traffic that Scotty 'might' do it.

IMHO that is BY FAR the best bumper I have seen on anything to date.

Caveat: I do know that he will put plate on his tube bumpers and work with you on fabrication.

My 2 cents.

seanpistol

Explorer
Well I haven't done much lately- been working a lot and trailering the snowmobile up to the mountains the last few weekends. I just got the flashing 4hi dash light and the truck isn't going into 4wd, so it's time to dig into the actuator and figure out why.

I have been thinking about building boxes/a sleeping platform to keep the shell organized, and came across a good find on craigslist today.

We got seats.

We got storage.

We got nap time.

And we got places to hold a beer.

A buddy and I have been saving and starting to plan a Baja summer surf trip- thinking an awning may be next.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Keep up trying to get us a front bumper. If it looks like you have someone interested let us know how to contact them and we will all let them know our interest. Maybe if we all work together we can get someone to make us a nice one.

uscg2008

Explorer
Dude such a sweet find on craigslist!

I just replaced my actuator after a couple months of it not working. It's nice having 4wd again.
This is what mine looked like.
066a3980db5606cd137d3105b23ea4dd_zpsff8e8433.jpg

It had about an ounce of water in it. Took about a hr or so to do the replacement. Just remember to start soaking ur diff bolts in some kind of break free a couple days before you wand to drop the diff.

seanpistol

Explorer
Keep up trying to get us a front bumper. If it looks like you have someone interested let us know how to contact them and we will all let them know our interest. Maybe if we all work together we can get someone to make us a nice one.

That's what I been trying to do for a while now- CBI said they'd make a custom one for $1400, maybe if someone got their truck in there they could make more than one and do em cheaper. I unfortunately don't think we'll ever see anything for our trucks for $600, like the AOR Taco bumper. :(

seanpistol

Explorer
Dude such a sweet find on craigslist!

I just replaced my actuator after a couple months of it not working. It's nice having 4wd again.
This is what mine looked like.
066a3980db5606cd137d3105b23ea4dd_zpsff8e8433.jpg

It had about an ounce of water in it. Took about a hr or so to do the replacement. Just remember to start soaking ur diff bolts in some kind of break free a couple days before you wand to drop the diff.

Sounds like yours was the actuator on the front diff and not the T-case? I'm not sure how mine would have water in it- it sat for about 6 months this summer, but when I got back 4wd was working fine until the first time I trailered my snowmobile in 2 feet of snow... in the morning i got flashing 4hi and 4 lo lights and was able to get it in and out of 4wd with about a half hour of messing with it both times. Now it's stuck in 2wd and 4hi is flashing, good thing we have a break from bad roads.

rickashay

Explorer
I can't believe no one will bite on the 1st Gen Tundras.... I think the market is just starting to really take off due to the relative age of the Tundras and the cost coming down to that of 1st Gen Tacomas. Keep up the good work, I'm sure something will come about. I "heard" that All-Pro had some Tundra stuff coming out but I'm not sure what exactly it was...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior