seanpistol's 01 Tundra

seanpistol

Explorer
Hey guys- after spending a couple weeks in Europe I got the travel bug I haven't had in years. That in itself made me re-think dumping too much more money into my truck and saving my money for other adventures. In all honestly, it's very capable the way it is right now for the type of trails I like to hit and I just don't think throwing more money at it is necessary. I can't justify spending the money on gears to get another inch of ground clearance from a size larger tires. I have other means to get unstuck instead of mounting a winch- such as using my locker, lower air pressure in the tires, and then my hi-lift, traction mats, or a buddy with a tow strap. I do want to make a tranny and transfer case skid this spring to complete my armor, and have my eye out for another shell set up to camp and explore in. Still hoping to get to make a surf trip to Baja in the not too distant future. Other than that- I think I'm done with expensive mods besides cleaning up little things- but I do have some things I need to do. Plug the holes where I removed my flares, throw in a Diehard platinum marine battery, rig up some mudflaps, swap the 1" rear block for a 3-pack AAL, roll in a DIY bedliner, wire up the backup camera I have, and touch up paint. Ah, and I still have to weld my drivers side slider on by my welder is broken! :oops:

I want the Tundra to be my reliable do-it-all rig for a handful more years. For me that's putting an average 12k miles a year on it- commuting, towing snowmobiles, hauling my dog/groceries, playing off road, and camping as far away from people as I can get. It's done all those things for me so far without a hitch. I eventually want a new Subaru to go along with an OBS 7.3 Powerstroke and chopped up solid axle Toyota on a trailer. :ylsmoke:

Sixstringsteve- Thanks for the offer. I read through your Taco build on RME4x4, are you selling the 4runner now as well? I'm in Salt Lake- I'd love to link up at some point for a trail run.

Last edited:

seanpistol

Explorer
I've been looking for a full size spare for a while and haven't found much of anything but junk. Came across a 285 Duratrac with a ton of tread on it for cheap. Threw it on a Wheelers steelie with the same backspacing as the rest of my wheels. It hangs down pretty far in the stock spare location, but there is room to angle it down a bit. When it's not the season to have a snowmobile in the back of my truck I'll strap it down in the bed.

My bumper is also powdercoated and on- still need to mount the plate and rig up lights. It's zip tied on as of now.

And, the rig is fully stickered out- hoping people will think I'm sponsored

Last edited:

seanpistol

Explorer
Thank you, but nope to shackle points. The bumper is done. I think shackle points are unnecessary and I carry one of these-

rh1.jpg

Pulled some idiots out of the snow a week or so ago with my Wheelers snatch strap and the shackle receiver. Their front end was completely buried. No problem.

rickashay

Explorer
Damn I love sans flares. I think I'm in denial that the flares need to stay, then I see your truck and I think I need to pull mine off. Way more ************ without.

seanpistol

Explorer
Damn I love sans flares. I think I'm in denial that the flares need to stay, then I see your truck and I think I need to pull mine off. Way more ************ without.

I love sans flares, too... this body style has such good lines without em. But my lady keeps reminding me that I need to plug the ghetto holes... been busy! ha!

Still need to mount my license plate with the LED bolts I have... had to order the right tap off the internet since I couldn't find the right thread pitch locally.

seanpistol

Explorer
Well, got a few updates but not many photos to share for it.

Put my flares back on. I have too many defects in the body under the flares that they do an excellent job hiding. It looks so much better now that I'm not rocking the ghetto holes.

Got a Pendaliner bedliner. So nice to finally have one. I was surprised they're under $200 brand new. I had been planning on doing a DIY raptorliner, but the carbides on the snowmobile I have in the back of my truck for half the winter will chew up even the best Rinoliner. Old school was the way to go. Found someone with the caps for the bed rails and got those on. Truck looks significantly less ghetto.

Mounted my 60" hi-lift to one of the bed rails.

Built a platform in the back seat for my dog to be up on top and store things underneath. Super happy with this.

Cut off the zip ties and mounted my license plate with the LED bolts.

Ordered a set of HIDs from Rickashay.

And, just ordered a Brute Force Fab front bumper so I can stuff a winch in it. The guy Billy that runs the place seems like the man... I don't have a solid crew to wheel with here, so a winch is on the to-do list since we have lots of trees hugging out trails around here to pull off of when out solo.

I did the center hoop just like this one. Only the outer set of square fogs, and no light bar cutout because it eliminates the ability to add a winch. Pretty excited.

I'll post photos of the dog platform, the truck bed, and the flares back on sometime soon. Preparing to leave in the truck tomorrow for Portland and then up to Vancouver, BC. First time to Canada- just doing to touristy thing with my lady.

Last edited:

Greenyota

Observer
Well, got a few updates but not many photos to share for it.

Put my flares back on. I have too many defects in the body under the flares that they do an excellent job hiding. It looks so much better now that I'm not rocking the ghetto holes.

Got a Pendaliner bedliner. So nice to finally have one. I was surprised they're under $200 brand new. I had been planning on doing a DIY raptorliner, but the carbides on the snowmobile I have in the back of my truck for half the winter will chew up even the best Rinoliner. Old school was the way to go. Found someone with the caps for the bed rails and got those on. Truck looks significantly less ghetto.

Mounted my 60" hi-lift to one of the bed rails.

Built a platform in the back seat for my dog to be up on top and store things underneath. Super happy with this.

Cut off the zip ties and mounted my license plate with the LED bolts.

Ordered a set of HIDs from Rickashay.

And, just ordered a Brute Force Fab front bumper so I can stuff a winch in it. The guy Billy that runs the place seems like the man... I don't have a solid crew to wheel with here, so a winch is on the to-do list since we have lots of trees hugging out trails around here to pull off of when out solo.

I did the center hoop just like this one. Only the outer set of square fogs, and no light bar cutout because it eliminates the ability to add a winch. Pretty excited.

I'll post photos of the dog platform, the truck bed, and the flares back on sometime soon. Preparing to leave in the truck tomorrow for Portland and then up to Vancouver, BC. First time to Canada- just doing to touristy thing with my lady.

That's exactly the Bumper I want, hopefully I can pick one up mid summer.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Glad you got a hold of billy. Those bumpers are nice!! Sorry I haven't got you the headlight hoop pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

seanpistol

Explorer
Glad you got a hold of billy. Those bumpers are nice!! Sorry I haven't got you the headlight hoop pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He sent me the photos of them mocked up on your truck- I like them on Tacomas but they looked off on the Tundra- he said it's because of the way the hood opens with the grille attached.

seanpistol

Explorer
Just drove 2200 miles to Vancouver, BC and back- sightseeing all along the way. Truck ran like a top as always, and has 136,500 miles on it now.Here's a photo of the dog platform I built. Works very well to store things under it and the hound is happy up top. I made it out of wood as a template to change easily- I want to make it out of metal this summer to make it more slim.

The snow has unfortunately almost completely melted out of the mountains and my snowmobile is parked in the garage until next year. I took the spare out from under the truck where it hangs down quite a bit lower than my bumper and tossed it in the bed to play with where I may want to mount it. You can see my bedliner, hi-lift, and toolbox out of the way that I talked about in a previous post but had no photos to show for-

I was debating building my own mount, but after some research I think I'm going to buy this setup from tiregate - http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/1310-tiregate-bed-mount-tire-holder/

I like how if you pull the spare out, the d-ring lays flat and you have full use of the bed. You don't have to unbolt the entire mount. I'm thinking about winter time when I want the spare underneath the truck. The hoop on the Y-bar is nice to keep the tire locked up with a cable going to the D-ring.

Also just replaced the window trim on both sides. The rubber was peeling off the outside and the felt against the window was worn out and starting to screech when you rolled the windows up and down.

My Brute Force Fab bumper is still a couple weeks out, so I'm shopping for a winch before it gets here. I'd love advice from anyone with an opinion that reads this. My only real requirements are that I want a warranty, synthetic rope and 9500-10000 lbs. Here are links to the units I've looked at-

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-...aspx?t_c=18&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pn=S/B98495

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-...aspx?t_c=18&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pn=S/B98510

(currently has $80 mail-in rebate) http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-...aspx?t_c=18&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pn=WAR87840

Superwinch seems to only offer a 2 year warranty, when Smittybilt and Warn have the limited lifetime/3 year electrical, but... http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-...px?t_c=18&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pn=SWI1595201

Same deal with Rugged Ridge- http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-...x?t_c=18&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pn=RUG15100.11

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears