Sears Diehard Platinum 31M issues

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I don't even use the negative SAE post, just the threaded stud.
Per tech support at Odyssey, that is not a good idea. The threaded stud is not designed to handle high current loads. They told me to not even charge the battery from those studs.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
My Sears Platinum in my E350 is 13 years and 14days old today and fired right up. I’m sure the solar panel and Morning Star controller help with long life but dang is this thing going to leave me stranded or do they last forever?

I’ve got a Diehard Platinum group 65 that I bought in Oct 2011, making it almost 12 years old. Not as impressive as you guys, but it’s in a summer trail rig. It’s never been on a charger or battery tender, not even once. I drive the rig a handful of times each summer, and just disconnect the battery when the vehicle is in storage, roughly Nov - Apr each year. It still performs flawlessly, even after months of slumbering.

I keep wondering the same thing - when do I decide I’ve got my money’s worth and just replace it so it doesn’t leave me stranded somewhere? In fact, that’s exactly what I did on the Tacoma - about 12 years on a Diehard Platinum group 31, and I finally just replaced it last summer because we were going on a 2 week, 3000 mile trip, and I didn’t want to risk it. I did notice the new battery gave me faster cranking, but the Platinum was still completely functional when I replaced it.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I did some light load testing and the battery did not self recover from at first 12.3 volts and then 12.16 volts but it still cranked slow and started the V10. I’ll guess it was still 1/2 good. That was enough for best case scenario but not really enough for a remote locations if lights on or winching. After researching X2 Power is the same design and manufacture as the Sears and Odyssey so I bought one online and picked it up local. $347 out the door after online discount and core.

Attachments

• IMG_4119.jpeg
    IMG_4119.jpeg
    383.9 KB · Views: 5

jgaz

Adventurer
Off track as well but good to see you Mike!

13 years on any battery in AZ. is impressive to say the least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior