Seattle to Anza Borrego and Back

laxtoy

Adventurer
For about 50 years now, my fiance's grandparents and their friends (affectionately known as "The Sixa-Packa Tribe, Coors Chapter") have been traipsing all over the U.S. and beyond. One of their annual trips has been to Anza Borrego Desert State Park, and Lynna, my fiance, has been going since the wee age of three. Before I made my first trip three years ago, I thought, 'what's the big deal, it's all a bunch of cactus and coyote?' Needless to say, after dragging my soggy Seattle butt down there, I saw why the hype. I know, it is talked about often on here as well as many other off-road forums, but I felt there was a lot of merit in sharing my experiences, if not just to get it documented for my own reference. It is a nice way for me to log my trip, one which Lynna and I plan to continue until we are no longer physically able, hell, if her grandparents can do it into their 80's, why can't we?

P1010059.jpg
[/IMG]

Hi! I'm happy because I am dry! First day, we are in Inspiration Wash

DSCN1449.jpg
[/IMG]

After we spend some time with the rest of our group, none of which are there for the same reasons I am :sombrero: we are off again exploring, this time to the South Coyote Canyon trail. We had a lovely lunch, and baked in the 90+ heat (man I love the desert!), we headed back down the trail.

DSCN1454.jpg
[/IMG]

Ready to cross back over the third water crossing

DSCN1485.jpg
[/IMG]

Yes, they are actually calling this a road on the gps. I'd like to see my buddy's Cellica make it up this!

DSCN1492.jpg
[/IMG]

Not a bad view from the top of the Calcite Mine Trail

DSCN1477.jpg
[/IMG]

Yes, if you were wondering, I did get out of the truck! Little mile jaunt to the Wind Caves off the Fish Creek/Sandstone Canyon trail.

P1010161.jpg
[/IMG]

Sandstone Canyon - wish we had more time on this day, had to head back earlier than I'd have liked to get back for the potluck.

P1010083.jpg
[/IMG]

Mel and Alice, Lynna's grandparents - two Borrego OG's

Last edited:

laxtoy

Adventurer
P1010129.jpg
[/IMG]

Hiking up to Palm Canyon

P1010199.jpg
[/IMG]

Lovely Mount Shasta - Well, all good things must come to an end. I told Lynna, get a good look at the sun, it may be a while before you see it again!

P1010206.jpg
[/IMG]

"Yes dear, we do have to go back. No dear, I don't think we can turn around."

DSCN1509.jpg
[/IMG]

Ah yes, Portland welcomes you! Believe it or not, this continued for about ten minutes, until there was about two inches of frozen rain on the ground, and seemed to start initialy the moment my girl got behind the wheel, ironic? After switching drivers, I proceeded to drive into clear skies again, about 4 miles from where we switched, and we didn't see any form of precipitation the rest of the way home. We did, however, wake to a little coating of snow on the ground, and i don't think either of us has been able to warm up fully yet.

Well, that was our trip in a nutshell, minus some time spent in San Diego with friends, but I really doubt any of you guys would want to see pictures of Lynna and her friends tickle fighting in their underwear. Good bye Borrego, until next year!

Last edited:

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Old timers love the truckhaven, borrego area it seems and so do I! I've been in that area a lot with a friend thats 83 and he wheels every day in his jeep. Very cool to see old "er" folks living it up.
Nice trip report too! Your Tacoma looks like my 4runners brother.
:sombrero:

laxtoy

Adventurer
yah, we may be relocating to san diego in a short while, when that happens, i'll be spending more time around there for sure. it's a hell of a compliment from you to say my taco looks like your runner, i need to throw some stuff on mine. getting married in may, so funds for that and a slow economy have put my buildup on hold. i've got wheels waiting for tires, and a welder waiting for steel, until then it's killing me to see what everybody else is up to.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
yah, we may be relocating to san diego in a short while, when that happens, i'll be spending more time around there for sure. it's a hell of a compliment from you to say my taco looks like your runner, i need to throw some stuff on mine. getting married in may, so funds for that and a slow economy have put my buildup on hold. i've got wheels waiting for tires, and a welder waiting for steel, until then it's killing me to see what everybody else is up to.

Haha, no worries. I'm not saying I'm NOT obsessed with doing more and more to my truck, but there is very little I can do now that I couldn't with less than you have. I can just do it a little bit easier these days.
Keep on truckin. :sombrero:

Keep an eye out for the Parking Meter, Phone Booth, Honda Monument, Tether Ball hill and others next time you head out to that area. All fun things to see in the middle of nowhere.

laxtoy

Adventurer
you would be wrong:sombrero:

hah! :xxrotflmaI checked with her, and it's a no go, i'll have to keep them in my personal collection. as for the last few days here in seattle, who could complain? been sunny, starting to warm up (within reason, there is still snow on the ground in some places), just what a lot of us needed.

Last edited:

mangus7175

Observer
Man...I need to go back to AB...I was there last November and did Fish Creek and Ocotillo on my stock 4X2 4Runner

DSC01119-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears