Second hand FG

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Ladies and gentmen need sum help on what to look for and look out for when buying a second FG in oz, Kel & i are looking at a few FG649 dual cabs when around 100kms on the clock. And let us know if anyone is selling one. Thanks for your time. Pete and Kel

engineer

Adventurer
From memory PK, don't buy ANYTHING from Fraser Island, look for the leaks from the join in the roof, check where the transfer case selector cables run from the cab past the front cross member because they can rub right through, make sure they have done the wheel bearings within the last 40K, stick a tyre lever or something at least .8m long in the rear shackles and give it a good go and watch how much movement there is, my front shakle rubbers lasted 1.5 tours of Cape York so check them as well, have a look at the very top join in the air intake as they can get clogged with dust and rust out, Check radiator fins as they are costly to replace, check the Turbo heat guards (might be hard on a dual cab) as they are prone to cracking, if you can check for water ingress in all running gear like transfer gearbox F&R diffs, open the water filler for the windscreen washer and fold it all the way to the floor and check if they've ever cleaned the filter in the evap for the AC which is just a case of detaching a wiring plug and pulling the long black filter out, check the tie bar that runs across the front axle housing and make sure it s straight as they are prone to damage.
Check that first pete & Kel, post pics if you need advice on any truck,
Chock

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Peter,

I'll certainly keep an eye out. I've been looking for one for a friend of mine for months but I think he's settled on one now.

Always keep checking www.truckhub.com.au and occasionally evilbay will have one come up . Auctions too. FGcrazy got his from a NSW auction. Ex-NSW Corrective Services with low kays. That's the important thing. Awesome truck for the money. Don't discount an older 637 either. I'd much rather have a low kay 637 than a 649 with 500k on the clock. A good 637 will normally be ultra reliable.

Everything Chocko just said is gold. Couldn't add anything to that except maybe check the rear cab mounts. Some times the bodywork will crack around the rubber mounts of a crewcab.

Anyway, since Peter is talking crewcabs I'll post these recent pics of the '02 637 that one of our guys has been putting together over the last few weekends. Still has some more body work and flared guards, lighting etc. to go. It's looking good, heh?

4643897173_0af7ae08a9.jpg

4644508892_d4aeb83481.jpg

Last edited:

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Thanks guys.
So not too much between fg637 or the fg649???
Cool truck, thats a qld truck from a farm equiment place in bris??
I love the bar work.
The trucks we are looking at most have under 100ks on them.
But mot too many around . Not a bad one in Georgetown QLD atm and i am off to have a look see at the one at Cousins on the wend but its got a tail gate loader on it.
And it has electric windows which Kel likes.

Peter

whatcharterboat

So not too much between fg637 or the fg649???

637 is 4.2 litre , mechanical injection, naturally aspirated, 24volt, slightly smaller rear diff and tailshaft (??), no electric window option either, most had the twin headlights but the '02 above didn't. Same body panel and doors as the 649.

649 is 3.9 litre, electronically controlled injection (not CRD), turbo and intercooled, electric windows option, 12volt with the same massive batteries just wired in parallel instead of series, and some of the last ones got the alloy gearbox. Otherwise very similar.

I know there is a thread on Fuso model designations but I haven't got a clue where they get them from. It is confusing. Maybe they've got one of those machines that blows Lotto balls in the air.

Cool truck, thats a qld truck from a farm equiment place in bris??

Yeah , from Yatala maybe. The pic on ebay showed a plough in the back.

4480864869_b72b6415ac_o.jpg

Last edited:

PKDreamers

Adventurer
You guys do all the bar work up there?
Is the roof bar work going to have a rack on it?

John anytime i would like to see more pics of the young guys truck.

Peter

whatcharterboat

You guys do all the bar work up there?

Hi Peter. Yep. Our boss bought us an "air over hydraulic" race-car tube bender and a tube notcher last year. Makes it easy with the right gear.

Is the roof bar work going to have a rack on it?

Well he welded tabs on the top of the roof bars so you could easily bolt a basket up there if need be.

John anytime i would like to see more pics of the young guys truck.

Yeah. No worries. I'll post some more in a few weeks. Hey Peter you going to the Brisbane Caravan / Motorhome show ??

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Thanks John.
Not going to the camping show but would love to see your guys stuff there
, we are off camping (northern nsw) taking the old troopy out for her last trip with us before she goes,just her sold it to a mate.
We where going to go to the camping show at Coffs but now off to Sydney on that weekend,

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Ok up date just took two fg649 for a test drive one 2003 77ks on the clock and another 2006 fg649 92ks on the clock.THey both go well drive nice .
The question i have at 100ks per hour what rpm should they be doing???
Both had with 7.5016 lt tyres on them.

Mark have you seen the fg649 at zupps? That is one of the trucks i drove

Thank again for all your help guys

engineer

Adventurer
Auto!!!! Haven't seen those down under......
is the shifter located beside the driver seat or is it some push button job on the dash?

DontPanic42

Adventurer
The shifter is beside and slightly forward of driver. I expect it is in the same place as the manual. When you get my age and the knees are shot, you finally give up the clutch.

DzlToy

Explorer
2010 Automatic FE 145 (stock) cruises at 2500 rpm at 70 mph and about 2200 rpm at 65 mph, based on a recent test drive. Maybe they have changed gearing or tire size recently. Unfortunately I dont know the gearing that was in the truck I drove. Tires were 30" tall maybe....

DontPanic42

Adventurer
The rear ratio for my 2004 FG639 is 5.714. Tyres are about 30 in. OD on 16 in wheels. I have seen larger wheels on newer FE's. I redline on the tach at about 110 kph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998