Secret stash of 16" or 15" tires?

mapper

Explorer
I am somewhat underwhelmed at the available tire options (A/T) for 15" rims...and additionally for 16" rim options with an appropriate hub bore. I'd like to be sporting something along the lines of a 235 85 16. Alas the closest I can get is 33x10.5 which, as far as I can tell is available solely in a BFG All Terrain. I plan to drive this vehicle in snow and BFGs have never really impressed me much when it comes to snow/wintery conditions. I have no intentions of running a mud tire on this rig. Am I missing something?

Also, as far as I can tell my only real option for 16" rims with an appropriate hub bore are takeoffs from a Montero Sport or a Trooper? Do I have that right?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
There are tons of 15 and 16 inch wheels that will fit, most used 15 and 16 inch Toyota wheels will fit and are plentiful on ksl.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I recently enquired at Americas Tire about 37" tires. Most brands no longer make 37x12.5/15 tires. Most have migrated up to 17" rims. They said much of that has to do with brake systems getting bigger.

not sure about the size you are searching for.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Main reason for doing 37s in 17 inch rim is they have found to be the perfect amount of sidewall with 17 inch rim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mapper

Explorer
There are tons of 15 and 16 inch wheels that will fit, most used 15 and 16 inch Toyota wheels will fit and are plentiful on ksl.

My understanding is that the center bore on those Toyota wheels is too small. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that; as yes...16" on KSL are plentiful and my dilemma is easily solved.

Last edited:

mapper

Explorer
I recently enquired at Americas Tire about 37" tires. Most brands no longer make 37x12.5/15 tires. Most have migrated up to 17" rims. They said much of that has to do with brake systems getting bigger.

not sure about the size you are searching for.

Not looking to do that big in diameter or width but I can tell you that there are very limited choices in tall, skinny, All terrain style 15" tires. Heaps of choices for a 16" wheel.

Even 33" is bigger than I want. Like stated I'm looking for something like a 235 85 16. 32x9.5 would be perfect. Alas the only 32s I can find are 11.5 section width, which is more rubber on pavement than I'm after.

mapper

Explorer
Ideally I'm looking for something available in the Cooper At/3. Run those on my Astro and love the way they have blended an AT, road tire and winter tire with the silica based rubber. After running Nokian tires for years tires I've gotten picky about the rubber I'll throw down cash for.

My Montero had 235 75 15s put on by the previous owner. I was wondering why but once I started shopping tires it became clear...that is one size that is still abundantly available in 15"

Clem

Adventurer
I am somewhat underwhelmed at the available tire options (A/T) for 15" rims...and additionally for 16" rim options with an appropriate hub bore. I'd like to be sporting something along the lines of a 235 85 16. Alas the closest I can get is 33x10.5 which, as far as I can tell is available solely in a BFG All Terrain. I plan to drive this vehicle in snow and BFGs have never really impressed me much when it comes to snow/wintery conditions. I have no intentions of running a mud tire on this rig. Am I missing something?

Also, as far as I can tell my only real option for 16" rims with an appropriate hub bore are takeoffs from a Montero Sport or a Trooper? Do I have that right?

I believe you are correct with regard to the 33x10.5R15 AT only available in BFG KO. Toyo MT and BFG KM2 also come in that size (but you don't want MT).

Montero Sport 16 wheels will have the proper 108mm bore as well as Isuzu Trooper (as stated) & Rodeo, Honda Passport & Acura SLX. Many Toyota wheels will fit also (but not all). Most aftermarket Toyota and/or Chevy six lug wheels will fit as they are made to fit more than one application.

HTH,

Clem

mapper

Explorer

Yes, I get it. There are tons of wheels on ksl. My question was regarding what else may have an appropriate 108mm center bore so I can better constrain my searches and not drive around the valley or up to Logan only to find out the rim wont fit.

Also, you have a very different first page of KSL truck/SUV rims/tires than ever had.

Thanks!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I can almost always tell if the center bore is big enough if I can get a view of the center bore in relation to the individual lug holes. The material thickness between them is thin versus 106mm. If you compare this way you'll be able to quickly tell what size the center bore is just based on a picture.

mapper

Explorer
Thanks. I do appreciate the information. I've read through as many relevant threads as I could find before posting this and have seen the majority of comments before. I try to look at the bores in ads...however most ads I see also have center caps in place so one can't really get a good look at the relationship to the bolt holes.

Looks like my initial impressions were correct and this is just a difficult hub to find a 16" wheel for.

As a side note I did find that I can get a 32x11.5x15 Yokohama Geolander AT/S. 11.5" section is much more than I want but I do like the Geolanders better than the BFGs. Price is reasonable too. Sad reality seems to be that 15" tires are becoming rare...unless you want an MT.

I think my best bet will be seeking out Isuzu or Montero Sport wheels in the JY

mapper

Explorer
Interesting side note: when you attempt to shop for wheels at Tire rack or Discount Direct the return is nothing....but if you shop for Isuzu Trooper you'll get some options? Wondering if that is an offset issue or if a Trooper can get by with smaller bore?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Hmmm. According to this Isuzu runs at a 106mm center bore...but pathfinders run a 108??

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=121174&sid=68ce17571a20ce01b7bd234f8dc429ee

edit: I've searched but as far as I can tell Nissan wheels will not work.

Weird... not according to this page... http://www.wheel-size.com/size/isuzu/trooper/2002/#trim-35i-v6

Maybe check on a N. American Isuzu Trooper forum? it's possible (albeit unlikely) that the UK version uses different drivetrains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior