Secure Rack or Holder for 20 lb LP Bottle

greentruck

Adventurer
Errant,
Nothing else, except the lunette lock is stored there between the A-frame, but it's down underneath and forward of where the cylinder rack is going.

The earlier concern raised about the tongue length would definitely apply if you want to mount twin tanks. Not enough clearance with those for mild off-roading with the stock length tongue.

With a single 20 lb tank, the potential interference issue should be limited to vertical issues, i.e. back of truck down/trailer tongue down could cause the top of the cylinder to contact the tailgate. I think I'll be OK here, but it's going to be close and I definitely want to know where that point is before it gets past "That'll just buff out.":)

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Mike,

Started off with just a round plate (1/8 aluminum) then added the sides.

Looking back, I wouldv'e just cut angles to match the sides...but I'm really just looking to get it done now.

I know you're looking for something already made...but I don't know if such an animal is out there for a 20#er

good luck

Pat

Attachments

• tank1.JPG
    tank1.JPG
    275.5 KB · Views: 46
  • tank2.JPG
    tank2.JPG
    361.9 KB · Views: 33

Token

Explorer
Stumbled across this little gem and ordered it last night..

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/4Bs-Bracket-TH-112-Tank-Holder/dp/B0037QFNYM/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2ZCDWAPWJ40KF&colid=1JFA3RKGCZ8EF"]Amazon.com: 4B's Bracket BU TH-112 Tank Holder: Industrial & Scientific[/ame]
21mqwk8gptL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

greentruck

Adventurer
Pat,
That looks slick, like the work on the rest of that project. Unfortunately, not personally possible to do right now. I suspect I'll have to drill some vent holes in the bottom of my bottle holder when it arrives, but the back of yours is plenty ventilated.

Token,
That looks interesting, but I still haven't figured out what size cylinder it fits. Not enough info and the only reason I even know it's a cylinder holder is because they chose to tag as that in Product Description. And no measurements that are really helpful.

I guess they're not exactly paying the big bucks to whoever wrote that item up. They have to classify things creatively if they expect people to search and find it on the 'Net. But if it does fit, it looks a heck of a lot more secure than a J-bracket, provided there's a plate for the cylinder to rest on below where it's mounted.

Errant

Explorer
I ordered a smaller one of those just the other day to mount my 20lb CO2 cylinder in the back of the Disco. I was just using rachet straps before and it made me nervous :eek:

greentruck

Adventurer
I ordered a smaller one of those just the other day to mount my 20lb CO2 cylinder in the back of the Disco. I was just using rachet straps before and it made me nervous :eek:

Yeah, even if it's not flammable or explosive, anything compressed poses a whole range of dangers you don't want to find out about other than in accident reports.

Token,
Thanks for the confirmation. I still haven't settled on how to make the final tiedown once I get a cylinder settled in it's new home. The cheezy $4.95 tank straps seen on the internet don't inspire a lot of confidence. I may be able to fab that part. I'd rather spend that money on decent materials than on something inadequate, even if somehow sanctioned by sale as a safety item.:coffeedrink:

Token

Explorer
But if it does fit, it looks a heck of a lot more secure than a J-bracket, provided there's a plate for the cylinder to rest on below where it's mounted.
I'll actually be mounting the tank inside my trailer on a back PS corner.. The location will make sense when it's all together.. The location is good due to the fact it's at the rear, near where the stove will be set up. It's on the fold out side of the tent and that zip off cover that makes it a PITA to get at anything on that side of the trailer when the tent is set up, so it leaves other spots open for things like the ice chest and other storage boxes that I'd be trying to get at more often.

10ft hose oughta about get the gas anywhere I'd want it.. Stove, tent heater, lantern.. If not, it won't be to difficult to move the tank to wherever it's needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior