Security camera system?

ScottPC

Looking for recommendations for a security camera system that is motion activated, takes great pics day and night, video and/or stills, and provides an adjustable audible alert. I would love to see what's moving around at night so I might grab a more legit camera, but would love to be able to use these images too. Any suggestions?

Ed: I'm looking to mount these cameras to my vehicle, so when I'm camping I can be alerted during the night. I was thinking something along the lines of Tadi Brothers system: https://www.tadibrothers.com/produc...em-in-3d-for-surround-view-with-dvr-4-cameras or something like the Gost system which I believe EarthRoamer is using some variation:
https://www.gostglobal.com/gost-apparition-sm-gps/

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
For simplicity and functionality, its hard to be the Ring system. People don't like them because its owned by Amazon and there is the potential for them to look through your lens (so to speak), but frankly I don't care, I only have cameras around the exterior of the house. The software is good, the hardware is good, the simplicity is excellent, the ease of use is excellent, and there is an unexpected "community" aspect that ties together similar Ring device users in your geographic neighborhood. So if some one posts, "Hey, this dude just stole my package, be on alert", you get that alert, along with the video footage. In my neigherbood, the police also monitor this community forum and have been known to act proactively on alerts like this.

Are they the best? No way, not at this price point. Are they secure? No less secure than your phone I suppose. Do they work? Yes, really well. Also, easy to buy at Costco or BestBuy or direct through Amazon

ScottPC

For simplicity and functionality, its hard to be the Ring system. People don't like them because its owned by Amazon and there is the potential for them to look through your lens (so to speak), but frankly I don't care, I only have cameras around the exterior of the house. The software is good, the hardware is good, the simplicity is excellent, the ease of use is excellent, and there is an unexpected "community" aspect that ties together similar Ring device users in your geographic neighborhood. So if some one posts, "Hey, this dude just stole my package, be on alert", you get that alert, along with the video footage. In my neigherbood, the police also monitor this community forum and have been known to act proactively on alerts like this.

Are they the best? No way, not at this price point. Are they secure? No less secure than your phone I suppose. Do they work? Yes, really well. Also, easy to buy at Costco or BestBuy or direct through Amazon
Do they make a 12v version and have you heard of anyone putting them on a vehicle? I'll look into them a little more.

1000arms

Looking for recommendations for a security camera system that is motion activated, takes great pics day and night, video and/or stills, and provides an adjustable audible alert. I would love to see what's moving around at night so I might grab a more legit camera, but would love to be able to use these images too. Any suggestions?
Have you searched for "game cameras" or "trail cameras"?

ScottPC

Have you searched for "game cameras" or "trail cameras"?

I can revisit those. After initial glance they don't seem to attach easily to a vehicle but I'll take a closer look if I can't come up with an integrated system.

ScottPC

I guess I wasn't clear in that I'm wanting to mount the system to my vehicle and while I'm camping. I'll update the original post.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
The above system would work but it will not alert you. Most security systems need a wifi signal so you need something self contained.

VanWaLife

I charted my own course on this one...I wired my rig with AV cable and BNC terminations, installed a Everfocus EMV400S FHD DVR, currently running two cameras, can easily expand to four. The DVR is very configurable, with digital and analog alarm outputs. Not using mine for much other than simple recording at the moment, so I can speak to how well all the other features work. RVS has similar systems for more money. Great picture quality when stopped, so-so when moving. Night vision is great as long as you're using cameras with IR LED's. The DVR works with WIFI or a sim card for remote access and alarm reporting, although I haven't used these features yet. I don't believe you would need connectivity to configure an alarm output (say to a blinky light or bell) upon motion activation. No monthly fees, but an expensive system up front.

ScottPC

Check this site out
The ReoLink has pretty much what I was looking for! There are a few things to work through still as their cameras appear a little clunky so mounting may be tricky. Also the recorder looks like takes a 48 Vdc input, I'm working with 12 Vdc system. Thanks!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The Ring system is battery operated and linked to your smart phone. It's neither 12v or 120v. It's not hardwired.
Well, it can be. You get the option to use batteries or hardware, or both for full backup redundancy. Not every Ring device offers this, but the cameras and doorbells do

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan