Seeking input on newer Ford F350's with the 6.2L or 7.3L Gas engines.

TGK

7.3L if buying new but I wouldn't be deterred by a lightly used late model (2017+) 6.2L either.
I'm not averse to buying pre-owned, but used trucks seem to be few and far between and the ones I do see appear to have premium prices. Late model units are showing asking prices close to or equivalent to new MSRP. Comes down to how long one is willing to wait for a truck. Of course, if willing to wait, one can get a rig specked out the way one wants. I'm in the process of getting quotes now.

eyemgh

We ordered a F350 with 4.30 knowing we'd upsize to 35s and maybe someday to 37s. We're 60 and may someday switch to a hardside. That was another reason for a 350. It may just be stickers between the 250 and 350, especially if you're upgrading the suspension, but in some places, the stickers matter.

As for Tremor, we opted out. It only comes Lariat and above, and more importantly, Crew Cab/SB only. It's a nice build, but we wanted the 148"WB. @BretEdge has a really nice Tremor setup though, albeit a smaller camper than you're looking at.

Have fun on the quest!

Reactions: TGK

TGK

We ordered a F350 with 4.30 knowing we'd upsize to 35s and maybe someday to 37s. We're 60 and may someday switch to a hardside. That was another reason for a 350. It may just be stickers between the 250 and 350, especially if you're upgrading the suspension, but in some places, the stickers matter.

As for Tremor, we opted out. It only comes Lariat and above, and more importantly, Crew Cab/SB only. It's a nice build, but we wanted the 148"WB. @BretEdge has a really nice Tremor setup though, albeit a smaller camper than you're looking at.

Have fun on the quest!
Thanks for the input. We are just north of 70. We did the popup truck camper (FWC on F250) gig for 21 years. Sold it 2 years ago and are now considering a hard side due to a tad more elbow room and amenities. Always the tradeoff dance though. If we pull the trigger on a truck/camper combo we likely won't go the Tremor route for a variety of reasons.

yfarm

Observer
Between late August and the end of November put 12k miles on my F250scab with 7.3, 10spd,4:30 on 35s. Mountain and FS roads southern Wyoming, towing utv trailer from Satatoga Wy down to Arrowhead west of Gunnison then on to Chama NM. At Chama went 3 hrs east on ranch roads in a blizzard towing the trailer up to 10,500 ft. Did it all without a hiccup, got around 12.5 mpg towing at 65mph. Never wanted for power in the mountains, going up to Leadville, over Monarch pass. Got back to the coastal bend of Tx and 2 weeks ago needed to move a 33ft Cat on triple axle trailer, about 12,500 lbs. No power issues but 4mpg at 50 mph, previously towed same model of boat with a Ram 2500 6.7, got 6-9 mpg at 60mph. Wouldn’t hestitate to buy again, changes would be xlt rather than xl and the 360 camera system. Terrible blind spot on the passenger side for small cars forward of the rear axle. I did order with the snow plow prep package for the heavier front springs and the camper special package with stiffer rear springs and the rear sway bar. Truck does oversteer a little on sloppy FS roads on curves at speed.

Last edited:

TGK

Between late August and the end of November put 12k miles on my F250scab with 7.3, 10spd,4:30 on 35s. Mountain and FS roads southern Wyoming, towing utv trailer from Satatoga Wy down to Arrowhead west of Gunnison then on to Chama NM. At Chama went 3 hrs east on ranch roads in a blizzard towing the trailer up to 10,500 ft. Did it all without a hiccup, got around 12.5 mpg towing at 65mph. Never wanted for power in the mountains, going up to Leadville, over Monarch pass. Got back to the coastal bend of Tx and 2 weeks ago needed to move a 33ft Cat on triple axle trailer, about 12,500 lbs. No power issues but 4mpg at 50 mph, previously towed same model of boat with a Ram 2500 6.7, got 6-9 mpg at 60mph. Wouldn’t hestitate to buy again, changes would be xlt rather than xl and the 360 camera system. Terrible blind spot on the passenger side for small cars forward of the rear axle. I did order with the snow plow prep package for the heavier front springs and the camper special package with stiffer rear springs and the rear sway bar. Truck does oversteer a little on sloppy FS roads on curves at speed.
Thanks. What was the weight of your trailer on the Wyoming to NM trip. Any additional weight in the truck bed.

yfarm

Observer
Truck bed had a fiberglass topper, 2 150 qt yetis as well as a 75, lots of gear,generator, 2 6 gal water jugs.
trailer and utv about 2500 lbs. coolers were full of elk and mule deer, dry ice coming back.

Last edited:
Reactions: TGK

phsycle

Adventurer
Just saw someone post their service truck with 600k on the 6.2L. These engines typically see rough lives too...

Don’t mention this to the Toyota boys. They’ll have an aneurysm.

I work with resi/commercial contractors. 2-300k on any of these HD engines is regular occurrence. I’m sure 500k happens more often than we know. Only difference is there is no fanfare and not posted on insta.

So going back to the question, I’d opt for the 7.3 but would not complain if I ended up with a 6.2, either. The new 10-speed is nice, though.

eyemgh

We lucked out when looking for a platform for the OEV Summit as the only F350 SC C&C in the province actually on the ground at a dealer was a farm-spec'd unit with the 7.3 and 4.30, dual alts, dual batts in XLT trim. All I can say is WOW, this engine/drive combo is a monster and I've never wanted more power for passing or hills.

I missed this, but it’s essentially just how we special ordered ours. in addition, we ordered the Premium package, because we wanted heated seats and a few other bells and whistles, block heater, FX4, camper package, upfitter switches, carpet delete and the winch, which I may sell.

hour

Observer
allot less electronics (No cam phasers).

Cripes I can't wait to get away from that BS. Had mine done on my '17 3.5L EB @ 35k after listening to it get worse and more annoying for 10,000 miles. Didn't want to hear "Dealer could not replicate". It honestly hasn't run that great since... and I know it's a problem that will come back eventually, outside of warranty. Friend has about 25k on his 2020 3.5L EB and it just started happening to him too. 7.3L here I come!

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Cripes I can't wait to get away from that BS. Had mine done on my '17 3.5L EB @ 35k after listening to it get worse and more annoying for 10,000 miles. Didn't want to hear "Dealer could not replicate". It honestly hasn't run that great since... and I know it's a problem that will come back eventually, outside of warranty. Friend has about 25k on his 2020 3.5L EB and it just started happening to him too. 7.3L here I come!
I would agree. When you really look into the 7.3, how and why it was designed, its pretty impressive. Medium duty engine design is pretty robust compared to light duty.

eyemgh

Seems to have settled at 23L/100km. We have the 150L rear tank and will carry another 40L in jerry cans for insurance if heading to the boonies.

That‘s a little over 10 MPG for sports fans following along at home. That’s not bad considering the size of your camper. ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78