Seeking Jeep LJ Cosmetic Surgery Advice

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
The starlet: a stock 2005 Jeep Rubicon LJ.

The problem: stock transfer case skid hits going up or down small ledges.

The options:

1. Do nothing: Take the hits gently and let the stock plough do its job.
  2. Cosmetic surgery: Replace the transfer case skid with a low profile tummy tuck skid, possibly involving a small body lift and motor mount lift to make space.
  3. Suspension lift: Avoid the problem by lifting the gut far enough off the surface that it doesn't drag.

Usually I would favor doing nothing but since this is the special edition "Sahara" hollywood movie version of the Rubicon I'm a little vain, even with all the chrome removed. :)

OK, Oscar nominators, have your say...

Cheers,
Graham

rroadkilll

Needs a LIFE!
I would do a 1.25 BL and a 1"MML and look for a tummy tuck...

You will need a new drive shaft and an SYE if you do this...

a cheap way is to do a 2"BB by RE

computeruser

Explorer
Your challenge is identical to mine. To date, I've done nothing, though I should.

My thinking: Small suspension lift should be easiest, and would be a way to stiffen up the back end for load carrying. Stock rides great with 0-100lbs in the back, but starts wallowing when you put more weight in the back. It also starts squatting, dragging the gas tank skid, banging the hitch on the ground, etc.

1"BL+1"MML+Belly-up skid would be pretty cool, but does nothing for load carrying/handling ability, and likely requires exhaust tweaking, too.

frumpy

Explorer
Option 4, 2" budget boost and some 33s

I would do a 1.25 BL and a 1"MML and look for a tummy tuck...

You will need a new drive shaft and an SYE if you do this...

a cheap way is to do a 2"BB by RE
should be fine with the drive shafts and no SYE as he has no lift

Desert Dan

Explorer
Tyres? go with 265, 285 or 255
Lift? OME or Rubicon Express or Nth Degree (AEV)
With the LJ drive line issues are less than a regular TJ
Tummy Tuck

ddog45

Adventurer
I have the same year and make do a tummy tuck from Rokmen and upper contol arms . Oh and the body lift and motor lift are cheap do that at the same time. Feel free to get in touch with me if you need more info.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
OME lift, Nth Degree (AEV now) tummy tuck, 32" to 33" tires. No vibes, great articulation, enabling clearance, preserved center of gravity, significantly increased capability.

Ol Yeller

I would go with a tummy tuck and engine skid combo. Yeah you'll have to do a MML and BL, but it'll will help a bunch on dragging you guts over stuff. I like you, take a long slow approch to modding my Jeep since there were only so many of the LJ's made in 04-06 (see below). I went with a mild lift/setup. I did DPG's Ultimate kit: OME ZJ front coils, LJ rear coils, OME long travel shocks, JKS CA's (8), JKS adjustable trackbars F&R, Off Road Only dual rate Swayloc, 33 Engineering X-fer/Eng skids. My Jeep is heavy and I netted 3" of lift out of the suspension. You will not need to make any changes to your drive shafts. I've ran almost 17K miles on this set up and have yet to have any driveshaft issues. If you were to go over 4" of lift, then you'll probably need to address them. Out of the 3 Jeeps I've had, this one has been the best riding Jeep and had the least problems.

Jeep numbers:
2004 - 11,822 Unlimited
2005 - 7,450 Unlimited
2005 - 5,854 Unlimited Rubicon
2006 - 14,624 Unlimited
2006 - 6,742 Unlimited Rubicon

dp7197

Adventurer
I went with a mild lift/setup. I did DPG's Ultimate kit: OME ZJ front coils, LJ rear coils, OME long travel shocks, JKS CA's (8), JKS adjustable trackbars F&R, Off Road Only dual rate Swayloc, 33 Engineering X-fer/Eng skids. My Jeep is heavy and I netted 3" of lift out of the suspension. You will not need to make any changes to your drive shafts. I've ran almost 17K miles on this set up and have yet to have any driveshaft issues. If you were to go over 4" of lift, then you'll probably need to address them. Out of the 3 Jeeps I've had, this one has been the best riding Jeep and had the least problems.

I did the same OME lift on my 05 Rubi Unlimited and have been very pleased with the lift and ride. I am running 33X9.50 BFG ATs on some canyon wheels until BFG comes out with the 255/80R17s KM2s and AEV comes out with their new wheel.........

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
If keeping the Jeep as factory as you can is a goal then installing a tummy tuck is the way to go. Personally I went with the AEV/Nth degree unit and am very happy with it. It has more clearance than any other skid of it's type and weighs only 20 pounds more than the factory skid. It is not as strong as the Rokmen and Kilby offerings, but I am not a rock crawler so clearance was more important than strength in my case. The AEV skid can be installed without a body lift, but it requires that the underside of the tub be dented for clearance and even then it only barely fits. I highly recommend a 1.25" body lift be installed at the same time. I used the JKS model. A motor mount lift is not necessary but it will reduce your final drive line angle and may allow you to use the factory drive shaft. I do not have a MML and used a shaft from Tom Woods drive line. Using a BL but no MML does require that you relocate the fan shroud to prevent contact with the fan blade. No modifications to the factory exhaust are necessary. The most tedious part of the install is relocating the locker pumps. This is not difficult by any measure it just takes some patience. I am happy to discuss more of the details if you would like. Just send me a PM.

I also have to agree with Computeruser, the factory springs do not have a high enough spring rate for a full load of overland gear. A small lift such as Old Man EMU (using the ZJ/LJ spring combo) works well to eliminate this problem. It also allows the use of 255/85R16 tires, a perfect match for the LJ platform in my opinion. The resulting look has a very balanced, factory like appearance instead of the long and low stance when on the stock tires. The handling with the OME lift is better than the soft OEM springs in my experience. I think stiffer springs create a much more confident road feel with less body sway.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Another vote for the AEV/Nth tummy tucker. Its one of the best mods you can do to a TJ/LJ. It fixes one of the tragic flaws of the platform. Also get the oil pan and auto transmission skidplate ( if you have an auto ).

The only other thing I would fix is the fuel tank. They hang down like a big ugly diaper! On the LJ its tucked back in there...but it's still a problem.

RedRocker

Adventurer
Here's an OME lift and 1.25 body lift, TT is next.

Rubi-2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan