Seeking Jeep LJ Cosmetic Surgery Advice

Ol Yeller

do a 1" body lift and then put on a Rokmen Belly skid. They make ************** stuff. On the other hand I am not a fan of body lifts. If you want to do it right, lift the suspension for the clearance that you need.

http://www.rokmen.com/products/skid_plates/tj_belly_skid/tj_belly_skid.html

While I've never been a big fan of body lifts, to properly do a tummy tuck, it's neccessary. I would never go more than the 1.25" JKS BL that I have on mine, but for me to have gained the same clearance with suspension alone as I did with the suspension/BL combo, I would've had to go another 2" on suspension lift. Six inches of suspension lift on a Jeep is taller than I wanted to go. The route I took gave me clearances needed, and kept a lower center of gravity. Jeff with Rokmen, was running a very similar setup with 35's and no problems. He added the JKS ACOS up front, 3/4" spring spacers in the back, trimmed the front bottom edge of the rear wheel wells about an inch and ran 37's on the same OME springs.

3551853324_3771a300be.jpg

3551852940_b6f00e7988.jpg

Last edited:

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I added a set of Old Man Emu springs and some .75" spacers to mine to help out. I've only had the transfer case skid hang me up once and that was while trying to climb a small rock wall. I don't really use the Jeep that hard that I think it will ever be a real issue.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the nip & tuck advice, folks!

I'm definitely keen on changing as little as possible; everything else about the vehicle is great. As I have a roof rack with RTT and kayaks I'm also keen to minimize raising the center of gravity.

A tummy tuck would significantly improve breakover angle and fix my current problem. It would be nice if the Nth/AEV kit could be done cleanly as a standalone mod but I'm not so keen on their tub bending instructions! A 1.25" body lift and 1" motor mount lift would make the operation way cleaner. I think this is plan A.

I'm going to stick with the current stock 245/75R16 (31") MTRs until I've learned some more about what I need. A body lift would make space for 265/75R16 (32") tires. I do like the idea of 255/85R16 but I'm not sure if I really need 33" tires and the associated new springs and shocks.

As far as springs go, I've noticed some sag when the Jeep is loaded. I was just thinking about putting in some air spring boosters in the back and calling it done.

From a beer money standpoint, doing nothing still really appeals!

Cheers,
Graham

Ol Yeller

As far as springs go, I've noticed some sag when the Jeep is loaded. I was just thinking about putting in some air spring boosters in the back and calling it done.

Cheers,
Graham

Maybe look into a set of Rancho 9000 series adjustable shocks. Cheaper and easier in the long run I would think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior