Selecting shocks for my independent air-bag suspension

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
As some of you may know, I've been making great strides on my trailer build(Mobile Base Camp Build).

I have arrived at the point in time where I must select shocks for this trailer.

The airbags provide for 9.5" of travel, and I would like a shock to match that. I have bumpstops to limit up travel and will be installing limit straps to limit down travel.

I originally thought I had struck gold by finding some 10" travel Fox 2.0 shocks for $25/ea that are fully serviceable. Unfortunately they turned out to be setup internally as steering stabilizers and would require significant modifications/replacement of parts to be useful as a shock absorber($$$).

I don't want to skimp out and buy some cheap shocks that will fail me in short order, but the budget for this trailer was long ago expended and I cannot justify $100/shock on a trailer.

What would you guys advise? Basic oil shock? Mono-tubes? Quadruple bypasses:)p)?

Woods

Explorer
Bump for a good question. I'm working on the same. I've considered some Harley motorcycle air coil overs. Anybody had any experience with them? I know that a Road King weighs in at about 750 lbs. Put a couple people on it and you're over 1,000 lbs. Most of the weight being over the back tire. I don't know how much the Harley shocks support or how much air pressure they can take, but I thought it may be a good option. Any other recommendations?

Also considering air bags. Are 2,600 lbs air bags the smallest that Firestone makes?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Bump for a good question. I'm working on the same. I've considered some Harley motorcycle air coil overs. Anybody had any experience with them? I know that a Road King weighs in at about 750 lbs. Put a couple people on it and you're over 1,000 lbs. Most of the weight being over the back tire. I don't know how much the Harley shocks support or how much air pressure they can take, but I thought it may be a good option. Any other recommendations?

Also considering air bags. Are 2,600 lbs air bags the smallest that Firestone makes?

That is some great thinking, I will be looking into this soon as well.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
just go for basic oil

air bag suspension is very active- its the nature of the bags

i used some n2 bilstiens i had spare of a disco but i think oil would have worked better

liftedlimo

Adventurer
On my limo, I built 4 link suspension at both ends and used triple convoluted airbags to keep it aloft for a total of 32 inches of airbag suspension travel. I spent along time trying to find an off the shelf shock that matched up to my intended driving spring rate as convoluted bag's spring rates change dramatically when air pressure is added or subtracted. After consulting a few shock tuners they said just buy an adjustable shock and try it out. If it doesn't work for you come in and we will change the stack for you.

As for bottoming out and such, dont use the shocks as your bump stops or your limiting strap. Spend the extra 35 bucks and buy good bump stops and limit straps for your axle. Your expensive shocks that are not designed to function as those items will thank you later. There super easy to install and take so much worry away and back to the real reason we go out into the wilderness.:elkgrin:

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
I ended up just going with Monroe Sensatracs due to size and cost. Im 1100 miles into the trailers maiden voyage and so far so good.

Woods

Explorer
I'm still considering air bags, but a question for you guys. How much real world travel do you get out of air bags. It seems to me that you don't get much. I'm not talking adjustability, but travel down the road. Sure for washboard, the highly active spring rate is great. But washboard is only one terrain that we wheel over. Using a 2,600 lbs air bag, I'd think you'll only get a couple inches of travel for road bumps. Maybe only one inch of compression and I'd think more droop???

I tried to make my way through both the Edelbrock and Monroe websites. Finding specs on how long the shocks are is tough. I am a dealer for EMPI and I can get their shocks. They are made for a VW bug, so I would think the valving is for lighter weights. They are 12" compressed.

Great tip on the limiting straps. I can also get those from EMPI. I'd already decided on the bump stops, but will now be doing limiting straps too.

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
For me, going with air bags was primarily about ride height(offroad clearance vs in camp working height) and secondarily about wheel travel. The other nice thing about air bags is the smooth ride. The trailer honestly soaks up harsh bumps on the interstate better than my truck.

Woods

Explorer
Yeah, air bags are definitely still being considered.

Found these, and am surprised that I can't find a single reference to them, here on the forum. GABRIEL HI JACKERS They support up to 1,100 lbs at 150 PSI. Five inches of travel, from 10.5" to 15.5". Bout $80 per pair.

liftedlimo

Adventurer
I think 5 inches of travel and 150psi of air is not enough travel, and 150psi is to much to be vehicle practical. 150psi air compressors are spendy, and take along time to charge up that much pressure. Plus you dont want to run your bags at the max psi. You need to look at the air bag's spring rate chart. It will have the spring rate, load capacity, and other info per PSI of the bag. You need to base your suspension around those numbers.

If you want quality look up Slam Specialty airbags. They are the thickest and best quality bags out there. Most models they make have 8 inches of travel and have internal bumpstops, dual 1/2" inlet/outlets. There top notch. Firestone bags are thin and are known to bust under stress full use like when they are at max psi and are compressed more then 30%(iirc). Slam bags are made to withstand 100% compression at max psi.

That being said my firestone airbags in my trucks air suspension have held up for years under abuse:)

Last edited:

deepmud

Adventurer
As some of you may know, I've been making great strides on my trailer build(Mobile Base Camp Build).

I have arrived at the point in time where I must select shocks for this trailer.

The airbags provide for 9.5" of travel, and I would like a shock to match that. I have bumpstops to limit up travel and will be installing limit straps to limit down travel.

I originally thought I had struck gold by finding some 10" travel Fox 2.0 shocks for $25/ea that are fully serviceable. Unfortunately they turned out to be setup internally as steering stabilizers and would require significant modifications/replacement of parts to be useful as a shock absorber($$$).

I don't want to skimp out and buy some cheap shocks that will fail me in short order, but the budget for this trailer was long ago expended and I cannot justify $100/shock on a trailer.

What would you guys advise? Basic oil shock? Mono-tubes? Quadruple bypasses:)p)?
I got Ford F350 shocks - front, 1990 I think - 10 inches travel, gas charged. Eyes on both ends, like 30 at Napa. Pretty severe damping as I recall. Had them on my Zuk before I found some shocks for a Chevy with 4" lift that had 14" travel.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. Low cost, adjusters work reasonably well I am told. They are a bit crude on the ride side, but as this is a trailer, they should work well. Tons of sizes too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998