Sell Montero Sport for Montero?

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Just browsing craigslist and came across an 01 Montero Limited with a new timing belt/tune up for $4,500 (asking) 115k miles that looks very clean and it got my wheels turning. I am considering applying for a personal line of credit (shouldn't be a problem) since I don't have that cash on hand at the moment, buying the montero and then turning around and selling my Sport for the same price or slightly more/less. I bought my sport outright and it's a great vehicle with 120k miles (doing 2nd timing belt in Dec.) and I have every service record since it was new but it would be nice to gain a 5spd auto, plusher interior, heated seats, better offroad, more storage etc. with probably a 1 mpg penalty.

Thoughts? What would you do?

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Finally got ahold of the seller.....couldn't get much detail out of them and they were a little off putting plus it was really hard to get ahold of them so I'm not really willing to make the drive to check it out. If anyone happens to be in Denver and wants to look for me that would be awesome!

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Saw that one too....guess I might as well call on it and test drive it as a comparison to my sport. Probably work them on price a bit and make it worth while.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
^ looking at that one tomorrow.....what do you guys think is a good price? Needs ignition coil, has tear in front drivers leather, needs abs sensor, probably needs a timing belt. No maintenance records available....

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
^ looking at that one tomorrow.....what do you guys think is a good price? Needs ignition coil, has tear in front drivers leather, needs abs sensor, probably needs a timing belt. No maintenance records available....

I would hit them low at $3500 and justify it by bringing an estimated cost for the repairs with a printout from a shop.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Gosh, Ft. Collins to Denver is SO FAR...:Wow1:

Teasing. My last time through that neck of the woods was a multi-leg trip from Doulglas, WY to Denver Airport, then off to McCook, NE. Was a long day of driving at the end of this past March, followed an F2 tornado through to the McCook area. Lots of rain and lightning shows in the aftermath. :removeredX:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Ha I know it's not far but I'm not sure if I could even get ahold of the guy again, just trusting the gut on that one.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Well I drove that white one.....

definitely has an ignition issue as it stumbles on the highway
some sort of engine leak...probably valve cover surprisingly not the cam seals though
5spd tranny is much nicer than my 4spd (wish it had come in the sport)
4wd works properly
antilock brake light is on as well as the service engine soon
interior kinda stinky but probably salvageable
brand new tires, no rust, only a couple of minor dings
expo white haha
clean carfax but no mention of timing belt service

Overall surprised how well the 3rd gen rides....it's much smoother than my sport and has a better steering system

Gah not sure if I should pull the trigger, keep looking, or keep my sport and modify it a wee bit

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998