Sell my on a frontier or tacoma.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Bed - Frontier is metal and Tacoma is plastic-- When we use the plastic mounts in the tacoma for our dirtbikes the straps feel like they are going to break the bed and mounts as they bend to much.
Bed Light on Frontier - not on Tacoma
Frame - Tacoma C-Channel (other than front under engine). Frontier is fully boxed - front to back. --idk how much this matters but its a nice piece of mind knowing its boxed

My 2 best friends have both trucks and these are my biggest concerns.

But i do like about the tacoma

crew cab is way roomier
sits higher from the factory
the tacoma engine bay has more room for mods but the frontier can fit dual batteries with some work.
Headlights and fog lights are bigger putting out more light

In the end I would choose the frontier any day just because the price and the complaints on tacoma are greater then the frontier complaints, but to each is to own.

Last edited:

Robotele

Move from 2001 Tacoma to 2011 Frontier

Scott,

Like you, I had cash and time to make this decision. The only reason I was looking to get a new truck was to upgrade from 4 cylinders to V6. At first, the decision was obviously Tacoma because I love my 2001; however, after a bunch of research, I was willing to add the Frontier as an option. My initial criteria was a used rig (4WD, V6, extended cab) under $20K with less than 30K miles--not to be had so I started thinking new.

On paper (see previous note from 4RExpo listing some comparisons), the Nissan stacks up far better than a Tacoma. 4RExpo did not include load and towing capacities, or braking, which have higher ratings on the Frontier and were a primary concern for me along with horsepower.

In the end, my decision came down to money and vanity and I bought the Frontier. The vanity point, to me, is that the Tacoma just looks a lot cooler and friends drive them as well. So I found myself trying to ignore the Frontier's greater horse power, towing & hauling capacity, arguably stronger frame, 44 Dana rear end, disc brakes all the way around (Tacoma only has front DBs), etc just because the Tacoma looked cooler. (The Frontier's bed, factory spray in liner, and utili-track system are superior as well. Plus I prefer the Frontier's extended cab layout for maximum storage and the front passenger seat folding into a table--very handy for ad hoc lunch table, work bench, operating table, rifle bench rest, etc.)

Once I got over appearance, it became questions of use and money. My whole drive for a different small truck was more engine, towing, and load capacity, so the Frontier won those points. Last was money, with my employer and factory rebates, the Frontier ended up being $7000 less than an identically trimmed out Tacoma--plus added Bluetooth, which I use and dig a lot more than I ever thought. $7K is a lot of build money, and the Frontier is a better "work" truck via specs. Less pretty but ultimately more truck where it counts for my needs. Vanity aside, the two items I prefer on the Tacoma are its higher frame height straight from the factory and the ample room for a second battery under the hood.

The Frontier is the beginning of my dream expedition RV, which will include a Ute bed, a Four Wheel Pop Up Finch camper, storage boxes under the camper wings, a 6.5' pull out storage tray under the bed, auxiliary gas and water tanks, modified exhaust, a suspension lift, heavy duty front and rear bumpers, winch, auxiliary battery, recovery gear, and more...why load capacity is important to me. The new Ute bed makes the Frontier look pretty bad-*** too. I'll post some pictures and notes on a build thread when I get time.

Aside: People might think "why not a Titan?”, I drive on a lot of unmaintained fire roads, creek beds, and other tight places--smaller is better for my needs. These mid-size trucks are almost too big, but the Ute bed becomes the biggest appendage on the older small trucks. The newer Tacoma and Frontier are the same width as the flat bed, so no excessive overhang exists on sides compared to these beds mounted on first generation trucks.

Good luck with your decision. I think you will enjoy either truck and might render a decision easier if you really define what is most important to you. Once I defined my priorities and got over my thoughts on appearance, this became a simple decision. I only have around 600 miles on the Frontier but am enjoying it immensely.

Last edited:

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Nissan in 1999 became French owned... the French aren't really good at building anything.... just sayin'

As an investment, Toyotas are far superior.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Yes vehicles are poor investments. That being said the frontier is probably a worse long term investment than the tacoma is. I dont know. Have to way the lower upfront cost vs. the lower resale value. Either way it would not be a daily driver so it would last me 15years. Still not sure what to do yet and have a few more months to decide. The price of the nissan is appealing but it just lacks something. I hate to label it as coolness but I think that may be what it lacks?

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Nissan in 1999 became French owned... the French aren't really good at building anything.... just sayin'

As an investment, Toyotas are far superior.
pfffffft from a jeep driver quoted for the record. More of a partnership with only ~40% shares going to Renault. The Renault-Nissan partnership makes it the third largest automotive group in the world. They also share research in their electric car technologies. Look at the Leaf 2011 world car of the year.

Yes vehicles are poor investments. That being said the frontier is probably a worse long term investment than the tacoma is. I dont know. Have to way the lower upfront cost vs. the lower resale value. Either way it would not be a daily driver so it would last me 15years. Still not sure what to do yet and have a few more months to decide. The price of the nissan is appealing but it just lacks something. I hate to label it as coolness but I think that may be what it lacks?
Then you should buy the Toyota. You’re on an expedition forum asking questions on a truck platform for overland use and you’re considering coolness. That is fine but I’ll think you will have better luck on Cardomain.
38058490015_medium.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3805849/2009-nissan-frontier-crew-cab-se
38683540001_medium.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/MakeModel/Toyota/Tacoma-Double-Cab/all/all/all/2009/2011/all/99501/

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
pfffffft from a jeep driver quoted for the record. More of a partnership with only ~40% shares going to Renault. The Renault-Nissan partnership makes it the third largest automotive group in the world. They also share research in their electric car technologies. Look at the Leaf 2011 world car of the year.

Then you should buy the Toyota. You’re on an expedition forum asking questions on a truck platform for overland use and you’re considering coolness. That is fine but I’ll think you will have better luck on Cardomain.
38058490015_medium.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3805849/2009-nissan-frontier-crew-cab-se
38683540001_medium.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/MakeModel/Toyota/Tacoma-Double-Cab/all/all/all/2009/2011/all/99501/

REALLY? I merely mentioned it as a factor. Im not after bling wheels, bro hats, or stupid comments. If you have nothing constructive to say then do not comment.

Looks to me like you made your decision. I suggest going with the Tacoma, since vehicle specs and price don't seem to be as much a factor as aesthetics or 15 year resell value.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I knew some crazy guy that had a Nissan Frontier... he swore that damn thing weighed about 8,000 lbs fully loaded... :sombrero:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I dont know the inside joke. If you had one please tell me about it. I have watched your build enough and the fact that you use your truck makes your opinion valid to me. Thanks.

I knew some crazy guy that had a Nissan Frontier... he swore that damn thing weighed about 8,000 lbs fully loaded... :sombrero:
Probably 8.5k with a habitat on it.

That's okay though, you like your trucks like you like your guns. Half plastic, light, snappy, and weak. I'll stick with my steel... :elkgrin:

Scott, the inside joke is when Doc and I get together we give each other absolute hell about each other's trucks. But in the end we both respect the others decision to go out and buy what we like. And that's what you need to do.

Have you test driven either? If not, you really need to go and drive both to make a decision.

One thing I hate about my frontier is the weight of the tailgate. Damned thing weighs a ton. When you test drive it make sure you open and close the tailgates.

Funny story about test driving-
A guy I worked with couldn't decide what new car he wanted, a Lexus or a BMW. He went to the BMW dealership and test drove one of their cars... Right into the parking lot of the Lexus dealership. He got in a Lexus and drove directly back to the BMW dealership...

Then he got into his Chevy and drove to the Mercedes dealership and bought his new car. :ylsmoke:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
That's okay though, you like your trucks like you like your guns. Half plastic, light, snappy, and weak. I'll stick with my steel... :elkgrin:

This from an AR guy? Hilarious! :elkgrin:

Scott, the inside joke is when Doc and I get together we give each other absolute hell about each other's trucks. But in the end we both respect the others decision to go out and buy what we like. And that's what you need to do.

True. Even if it means taking a GSXR on the WABDR.

And while I love my Taco, there are things on the Frontier that I like too, and being a world platform (Navarra/Frontier) has many positives. I always tell people the Frontier is tied with the Tacoma in my book.

Last edited:

colodak

Adventurer
personally, if you want a 4-dr cab, I'd go domestic with a Dodge Dakota. I'll take my 2000 Dakota over any if the similar sized choices any day of the week. Optional V8 power, interior space is greater than either, pricewise it will be at the top of the list, but depending on how spec'd, not by much. When I bought my Dakota, I looked at the Toyota, Nissan and Chevy. By comparison, the Dakota has the most interior space, then Toyota, the Nissan and Chevy are massively smaller in size. The rear doors on the Nissan and Chevy were not and still are not designed for adults to access, neither of the 3 choices do the doors open far enough for large objects to be loaded. The only downside is the unfortunate lack of aftermarket support for mods. That said, I have 120K on my Dakota, my dad has 117K on his '00, when his '02 was wrecked/totaled it had 125K (commercial use) and was rarely in the shop. Other than normal maintanence, my Dakota hasn't had a major problem, only recently has it started to act up, and that's the trans is having some issues. Sometime in the next year I'll get it rebuilt, about $2,800 to make both bullet prood or close to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12