Selling guns?

7wt

Expedition Leader
What is the current preferred method of selling guns?

Last edited:

wcdu

Observer
There is Gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com that are firearms specific. You can do craigs list but not ebay. For that matter you can put it up for sale on this list.

The key to this is what happens after you have found a purchaser. Keep in mind that every state is a bit different and some of the states back east are essentially communist when it comes to gun / people control. However for a locked breach shotgun, very non-threatening, what will essentialy happen is that you will have to find a Federal Firearms Licensing agent / dealer (FFL) and have them ship it to another FFL if in another state or, for that matter, shipped at all.

If in the same state, there are no Federal laws that require anything. For example, here in Colorado, I would hand you the price and you would hand me the gun. That's it.

If you need to ship (think UPS or FedEx) expect to have to pay a dealer at your end. It seems to average $35.00 & shipping. Long guns can go "slow boat" so figure less than $25.00. The buyer will have to pay a like amount to an FFL so in most transactions it is considered a wash and not listed as a cost but factored in the asking price.

The web sites listed above will give you a good idea what similar guns are selling for. I can tell you the market for sporting guns is not doing well. When obama was elected the buying public took their money to black rifles, handguns, and more ammo.

Tell me about it and I can tell you an approx value at least here in the Rocky mtn states. Tell me what you are asking for it. I already have enough of the 3 categories above ;>)

haven

Expedition Leader

7wt

Expedition Leader
haven,

No price was listed for the gun so it wasn't an advertisement. I had the picture there so that people could see what type of gun it was for the appropriate suggestion on where to advertise it. You wouldn't want to place an ad for a nice over/under with an outfit that specializes in zombie deterrents. As I saw it, I was following the rules.

Newtac and wcdu, thank you for your suggestions. I will look into those sites.

Moto, the gun has gotta go and I already regret it. But the situation that warrants it's sale will not change any time soon. I made a decision about five years ago to stop shooting any gun other than an air rifle due to some hearing damage caused by a bunch of shooting while I was younger. The sale will fund a very nice PCP air rifle so that I will able to continue to shoot....something. I even looked into getting the required paperwork to own a can but bringing one into the area I live in is not something I want to be responsible for.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Another place to check would be any local gun shops.(not a pawn shop, but regular gun store) Many of them will put your gun up as a consignment, with them getting a percentage of the sale or a set fee.

You tell them what you want for it, and they will try and sell it.

They can also look up the current value, and/or let you know what that style weapon is going for.

I've sold a couple this way, and have bought a few from consignment.

Quill

Adventurer
If there is a gun show in your area, you can walk around with a for sale sign. Around here we have what is called an area shopper that goes to almost everyone's household. You can put adds for guns in it. You can even sell them at a garage sale.

7wt

Expedition Leader
Well I ended up selling it and it went faster than I thought it would. I made up a flyer and took it to a private rod and gun club. After about fifteen minutes or so, I had a good offer. I ended up selling it to him a week later. Nice guy, I got a job referral from him and a sponsorship to join the club when I am ready. The guy I ended up selling it to is hip deep into the local political seen and said he would put in a good word for me when I am ready to apply for a job in the area. Cool, you can't beat that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78