Senate confirms REI’s Sally Jewell as Interior Secretary

C5dad

Observer
Wow, never imagined so many Jack Boot Statist Lovers on this site.
Sigh.
Good luck to you and yours, I guess.

As someone who works as an Environmental Engineer, that is really a short sighted comment. I am willing to give her a chance. Problem with part of population is that there is no compromise, regardless to how antiquated the regulation is - and that is on BOTH side of the aisle. If that makes me jack-booted, then that makes you ... (you fill in the blank!)

Again, there needs to be balance because that is what makes the USA great.

the Jack-booted thug welcomes comments from the un-washed masses!

C5dad

Observer
So I can pass on my Neanderthal thought process!

A friend who owns a ranch in NE Arizona was told by the Forrest Service that they could NOT have a fire, even if the rain was pouring down because they (the FS) held exclusive rights to control burning. Mind you, this was on private property! And yes, I was there at the time because we were having a BSA camp on his property. I was then told that most forest fires in the Southwest were cause by Boy Scouts. WOW, what an ignorant comment since Rodeo-Chedeski was caused by a FS worker!

The issue that I personally have observed and have seen to occur in the Southwest is that the FS/BLM closes areas without notice. They act like thugs in order to "preserve" the environment - regardless of those whom live there and who's property the closure occurs on. These FS folks are on rotation and move on after just about getting lynched for their idiotic behavior and their interpretation of a FS order/regs from DC. Why is the West considered a Fly-over region? Because there is too much open space and not enough bureaucrats per square mile to dictate the locals behavior.

The funny thing is - they do not live the regs!

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
The Fed is in the land management business because they say they are. Some people are OK with that and others are smart.

H2O_Doc

Adventurer

A friend who owns a ranch in NE Arizona was told by the Forrest Service that they could NOT have a fire, even if the rain was pouring down because they (the FS) held exclusive rights to control burning. Mind you, this was on private property! And yes, I was there at the time because we were having a BSA camp on his property. I was then told that most forest fires in the Southwest were cause by Boy Scouts. WOW, what an ignorant comment since Rodeo-Chedeski was caused by a FS worker!

The issue that I personally have observed and have seen to occur in the Southwest is that the FS/BLM closes areas without notice. They act like thugs in order to "preserve" the environment - regardless of those whom live there and who's property the closure occurs on. These FS folks are on rotation and move on after just about getting lynched for their idiotic behavior and their interpretation of a FS order/regs from DC. Why is the West considered a Fly-over region? Because there is too much open space and not enough bureaucrats per square mile to dictate the locals behavior.

Most Feds in regions are not on rotation. They typically live near or in the environs they are responsible for. Folks like to paint Feds as DC interlopers, but they often come from the locals. I seldom encounter far lefties among their ranks and they usually have a political outlook not too different to that of the average person in the region.

It helps to paint people as boogie men, or subversive bureaucrats, because one can summarily dismiss the lot and not tax themselves with intellectual thought or consideration of viewpoints different than one's own. That can be done, but it is neither accurate or helpful.

Last edited:

roverrocks

Expedition Leader

I agree with your spot on comment.

C5dad

Observer
I can only speak for my local area and a vast majority of FS/BLM are boogie men! My great uncle was a park superintendent at several large national parks for many years and discussed the problems that regional and national administrators foisted on him whilst not understanding how the local area works -one size fits all. Disagree? Feel free. How much land is federal in west vs lets say ANY eastern seaboard state?

Again, as someone who has first hand knowledge of practices, and oh yeah, I deal with the FS/BLM on a regular basis, I think I can provide a valid observation doc! Now, am I sooooo ignorant that I will state that all these folks are on rotation from other locations or that they are all bad folks. Methinks not. However, in the rural areas I work and vacation in, job rotation is not uncommon after 3 years or less! Especially when the employee cannot bother to become part of the community. Heck, even the transient highway work crews do better. I have only met three FS and BLM employees who grew up within a few hours of their area.

One last policy thing. Search On google or bing for Wallow Fire. Specifically look at the post fire pictures from space. To the west side of the fire, use your mighty powers of observation, really look at the terminus of the fire line, and you will notice that it is nearly strait. Lemme give you a hint. The western edge was against White Mountain and San Carlos Apache tribes land- hmmm, could that be a tribal boundary??? You see, the Apache believes in managing their Forrest in a healthy manner, through the practice of thinning. Whereas the practice along the Coronado Trail/Apache Sitgreaves Forrest was and still is to not manage. I will let you discover how many thousands of acres were burned due to a policy from DC, transmitted through the local office. Incidentally, this anti thinning policy cost my friend his retirement cabin with barn and other structures because he was not allowed to thin at the tree line!

Yup, boogie men don't exist except in our thick browed, sloping forehead skulls! Now leave me be while I struggle to understand how to open a band-aid wrapper to cover my skinned knuckles. ;-)

Last edited:

H2O_Doc

Adventurer
^ well, the good news is that you seem to believe in human evolution. I find there are so many skeptics these days.

zimm

Expedition Leader
How much land is federal in west vs lets say ANY eastern seaboard state?

we in the east paid for it, or stole it from the spanish fair and square. we paid for all the roads too.

its a good thing we maintain control, as westerners behave like poor slobs in a third world nation. you'd clear cut yellowstone to make toilet paper, or blow up el capitan if someone said jesus hid a penny under it.

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
we in the east paid for it, we paid for all the roads too.

its a good thing we maintain control, as westerners behave like poor slobs in a third world nation. you'd clear cut yellowstone to make toilet paper, or blow up el capitan if someone said jesus hid a penny under it.
ABSOLUTE total lies and total BS Zimm. You are way out of bounds. You are either a world class LIAR or you live so far out of reality that you could be certified as MENTALLY INCOMPETENT. Which is it???

Expedition Leader
... its a good thing we maintain control, as westerners behave like poor slobs in a third world nation. you'd clear cut yellowstone to make toilet paper, or blow up el capitan if someone said jesus hid a penny under it.

No way; it would have to be at least a quarter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears