Series 3 "barn find", Savannah GA

Wander

Expedition Leader
I agree, looks like a very late IIa. Your looking at a new chassis so about $2K right off but the bulk of the rest is aluminum and can bolt onto the new frame. Drivetrain is the other big ?? and the other area of possible high expense. If you could get it for $500 or less and are up for it then go for it!

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
That appears to be a late IIa. The firewall is a key indicator as is the metal grill. Frame rot is common, galvanized chassis are available new!

dcarr1971

Adventurer
That appears to be a late IIa. The firewall is a key indicator as is the metal grill. Frame rot is common, galvanized chassis are available new!

If you could get it for the right price (i.e.- Almost nothing) and everything else isn't too bad, then swapping the frame might be worthwhile. (At least as long as you don't try to figure in the value of your time.) I'm sure most of the rest of you guys know better than I, but I've heard that once you've got a rolling chassis, the Series trucks are relatively simple to disassemble and reassemble on the new frame. (That is, 'simple' compared to something like my D2.)

I love the later IIa's, III's, and even the 101's. I just wish I had the time and $$$ to take on another project.

Hopefully someone will pick this up to either restore or part it out so that other Series trucks can continue to live. I'd hate for it to sit in that trailer park until someone realizes it's built of aluminium and decides to turn it in for scrap...

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Looking at the photos again, I'm struck by how many Series Rovers people have found/bought lately that still have the chaff guard. When I was buying and selling them in the 70's and 80's it was fairly unusual for them to still be in place.

LtFuzz

Explorer
I have no plans to try to pick this one up -- just posting it for anyone else in the area who may be interested.

d110pickup

SE Expedition Society
The state of Florida had a few Series trucks that were used for road side mowing and they were yellow. Do you have a photo of the rear crossmember? If it was one of theirs it will have a PTO or a sign that a PTO was installed.
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78