Series brake issue

salve7

Adventurer
I have a binding, right front brake and was wondering if anyone can diagnose the problem. The brake is binding after a bit requiring me to reverse for a few feet to release it. I am not familiar with drum brakes but am assuming it is whatever returns the shoes to their original position after braking. I am wondering where to start. Thanks for the help.
Jay

Sirocco

Explorer
I am not overly familiar with series brakes systems but I think what you may require is to champher (sp?) the leading edge of the brake shoes. A google search should bring up a number of UK based series specific forums who can help/be searched.

G

brushogger

Explorer
Sometimes on older vehicles the lining of the flex lin can collapse acting as a on way valve restrictiong the return of fluid to the master cylinder. I ran into this on a scout and a landcruiser. Both were pretty old and repalcing the flex lines fixed the problem.

brushogger

Explorer
Sometimes on older vehicles the lining of the flex lin can collapse acting as a on way valve restrictiong the return of fluid to the master cylinder. I ran into this on a scout and a landcruiser. Both were pretty old and repalcing the flex lines fixed the problem.

Wow, I fat fingered that one. I meant the lining of the flex line can collapse acting as a one way valve.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Reading your symptoms again, if reversing clears up the problem I'd say it's very likely the return springs, or shoes, or both, are installed wrong.
I was thinking that maybe the pistons in the wheel cylinder might be corroded and not retracting, but reversing wouldn't correct that.

crusader

Adventurer
If you're sure it's brakes then I'd go with the return springs and shoe configuration too.

If you're not positive it's brake related, then I'd check the wheel bearings for a bearing cage failure while I was at it.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"brakes then I'd go with the return springs and shoe configuration too"

Open drum strip and clean all parts and inspect both the pistons and shoes for wear and replace as necessary, while your in there do the seals on the cylinder and remove the rust etc.

I had something similar on an old Diahatsu and it was that the friction material had come loose from the shoe its self...

kd_walmsley

Observer
Jay,

I have scans of the Haynes service manual if you need the section on brakes. I am going out of town on Friday so best to let me know before then.

Best of Luck,

Kevin

salve7

Adventurer
Thanks for all of the replies! I was hoping I would have time to inspect the brake yesterday but the weather didn't cooperate. I just picked up the haynes manual so hopefully I will get it sorted out before the weekend. Thanks for the starting points and I will prob have more questions once I open it up. I do believe it is def the brake as the wheel doesn't lock without pressing on it.

Wander

Expedition Leader
Can you tell which wheel is hanging up? If not check also the park brake (if your using it). I had a brake hang up when I went to pick up my IIa. I forced it forward and drove it a little and it's not happened again. It had rained a lot the week before and I think some water got into the drum or??? I haven't opened up the brakes to check them yet, working on getting seats that fit in first.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
When you're looking at the manual comparing to your brakes, don't let it through you. They have it illustrated with the wheel cylinders at 9 & 3, rather than at 12 & 6 the way they are.

salve7

Adventurer
Ok I was able to take the thing apart this morning but there is nothing obvious like I was hoping (ie. a dead rat bogging it up!). I am thinking that maybe it just needs a good cleaning which I will try first but any other suggestions are welcome after reviewing the pics. As far as cleaning them goes are there any tricks? I plan on using brake cleaner and maybe taking some sand paper to the drum and shoes. I talked to the PO and he was under the impression that it was oil on one of the shoes and while I didn't see any oil there was alot of stringy brake dust. Thanks again for the help!

Attachments

• bottom_rfbrake.jpg
    bottom_rfbrake.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 10
  • rfbrake.jpg
    rfbrake.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 11
  • top_rfbrake.jpg
    top_rfbrake.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 8

crusader

Adventurer
Nothing looks too obviously wrong in the photos. After really humid nights or rainy nights, my 109's brakes tend to do strange things like grab and squeak unitl I ride the brakes a little bit to get the coating of overnight rust off the inside surfaces of the drums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears