Series IIA 109 Fuel Tank

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
As far as I can tell these aren't made any more, just Series III tanks. This is in a bizarre hybrid '67 or '68 that has autometer gauges so I'm not so sure that an actually IIA tank is needed as I know the Series III tank will at least "bolt up."

Thoughts? Also recommended place to get a IIA or III 109 tank for hopefully not too much? Used would work as well as long as it was clean and rust free and could be painted.

thanks,
Andre

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
The truck also has an engine transplant so it has been converted to negative earth, if this helps. It makes me realize the discrepancy and why there are two senders. The old tank was too far fried to be salvaged, really a bummer...

evilfij

Explorer
$280 from Roversnorth, $360 from atlantic british, not sure what BP gets for one.

Bear in mind the proline ones are supposedly not that great, but they are all that is available (everyone sells the same aftermarket one).

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
NA from Rovers North or on backorder, from British Pacific comes to about $400 before shipped, closer to $330 shipped from RN so a bummer that they are backordered. Both include sending units which I think I'll need as well. I think I need to pull the autometer fuel gauge and see what the OHMs are. Seeing if there are other options as well. Thanks guys, appreciated. The Rovers north is a Prolite, not sure what the others are but they look aftermarket but clean and OEM-ish I suppose? They mentioned something about a new mounting system that the tank includes.

Last edited:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
DAP used to have someone making replacement fuel tanks for them. I put an 88 tank in someone's rover for them years ago, and it seemed to be a decent replacement. They also had 109 tanks as I recall. No idea if they still carry them or not.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Some Land Rover 109's come with a front fuel tank only

$189 from British Pacific

Some Land Rover 109's come with a rear fuel tank only

$349 from British Pacific

Since Rovers North is out of rear fuel tanks, it could be their price is old and does not reflect current prices.

These days all the Series Land Rover fuel tanks are made by a company in Canada who does not sell directly to American Land Rover parts houses.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
If it helps this one is 1 tank only, all the way in the rear. Thanks guys, might just end up with the British Pacific one. Thanks as always, Andre

greenmeanie

Adventurer
If you can put up with used and maybe some effort to clean it up I'd start calling round the used parts guys. I know Ike at Pangolin was breaking a couple of 109s, then there is also Bill at Riverton Rovers over in Wyoming and Marc at Singingcamel. There's even Bill at GBR who sometimes has stuff and is comparitively local.

If you are needing one fast LRseries in the UK has the pattern SIII one for 85GBP = $136 which leaves quite a lot left over for shipping.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
DAP - Genuine rear 109 tank, $275, takes the later style sender. In stock as of 5 min ago.

They also still carry the 88/109 saddle tanks, which are made out of 12ga, or heavier, steel.

You might also want to check a local HVAC shop or sheet metal shop to see what they'd charge to make you a SS one using your old tank as a pattern.

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Thanks Tom... Bill doesn't have one so DAP it is. It has been a long time since I've actually owned a Rover (an awesome Series III 88 that I absolutely loved - I almost drove across the country in it! -- would have been a long trip) so I've sort of forgotten about all the suppliers. DAP - those guys rule. Tank & sender ordered! Shipping will be about $40-60 such is life...

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Bummer, I got a call back from DAP and the package is oversized and it's about $120 in shipping. Rovers North is on the house but I have to be patient. May be worth being patient for $120...

greenmeanie

Adventurer
Are you sure RN is on the house? The fine print for all their free shipping weekends states that it doesn't cover oversize items.

I recently had a lot of fun trying to get a set of T-posts. It was almost as cheap to fly a set in from the UK as it was to buy a set on the east coast and truck freight them over.

I finally got a cracking good deal from Bill Riter at Riverton Rovers and hooked up with a Rodeo clown through U-ship.com to haul them down here at reasonable cost.

Just shows, when all else fails, send in the clowns. We really need a supplier of body parts on the west side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman