Series III daily driver/short trips?

Wander

Expedition Leader
I had two cars when I was in college, a Volvo Wagon that was my reliable road trip drive-any-where important vehicle, and a '73 Series III '88 Wagon as my around-town car. Burlington VT is just as cold if not colder than Jackson. I would definitely do it... This sounds awful too but I definitely got laid at least once or twice because of the cool old rover too

So the 240 wagon wasn't a babe magnet?? (I used to have a 93 so I can relate):coffeedrink:

Elliot Press

Observer
I own a Subaru and a SIII. I tend to drive them both as much as each other. I love driving my SIII but naturally the Forester is silky smooth handling compared.

James86004

Expedition Leader
My SIII was my daily driver for years when I lived in Flagstaff. The heater worked well even on 0 degree F days. The windscreen defrost was a different story, although a rag took care of that. The lack of a rear defogger and a rear wiper were annoying on snow days, but you can get both of those off a Defender if you need to. I think I read that a rear wiper from a 1st generation Isuzu Trooper works well, too.

roversnow.jpg

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
We need to start posting pics to inspire riverguide.. I'm going to hop on the other computer later tonight and start posting.. The Volvo sorta was a babe magnet too, believe it or not too. I swear it was the coolest meanest Volvo wagon you could imagine. Big meaty snows, slight lift in the rear with the iPD overload springs, big old ski rack, but fast and plush with nice old genuine European leather school seats and even a tall guy like me could sleep in it.. :) Killer stereo that would chronically be playing Herbie Hancock and the likes, constantly rallying the back way to Mad River Glen no matter the weather, going 55 on the 35 Vermont back roads, sometimes plowing through snow drifts that would fly over the hood.. Only actually going off the road maybe one or two times ever all those years.. Man I loved that car I suppose.. :)

I'm making myself to sound like more of a scumbag than I am but I swear this was all true.. The only other car I'd recommend would maybe be a FJ60 with a light lift. 14 people can fit into one of those.. :) Complete with tunes cranking "Everyone Loves The Sunshine" by Roy Ayers cranking, and everyone singing.. Not too hard to quickly figure out the words for that song... :costumed-smiley-007

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I guess I've become a little soft in my old age. I commuted for years in my CJ-5 with a bikini top and soft doors, and I only had issues when it got in the single digits or lower. Block and inline heaters only worked so well on the 4.2L, and it took a long time to get warmed up. It also likes to swim a little in the ruts (short wheelbase, wider tires), which can get interesting on icy roads at moderate speed.

I've found that my AWD cars have been vastly superior in the conditions I regularly see. I bought a XJ Cherokee for $200 as a winter car one year, and never looked back. Even that beater rig was more suited to travel in the snow than my trail-oriented rig, and it allowed me to fix my trail rig at my leisure during the week- vastly improving the quality of my repairs and maintenance when compared to my marathon Sunday wrenching sessions.

Let's put this in perspective- are you talking about getting a well-maintained, partially/fully-restored Series III or a project truck? How mechanically inclined are you? How much experience do you have living in snow country? What kind of facilities (heated garage is nice) and tools do you have to work on a vehicle? A lot of questions like that will determine if it's a good idea.

I still say keep the Subaru and then buy the Rover as finances permit. That would give you a reliable backup in case it doesn't work out, and if it turns out you never drive the Subaru you can always sell it. Good Subarus sell like hotcakes in snow country, providing ample funds for the Rover project. And yes, it will be a project.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Rover.JPG

This was a nice, sunny spring day back in '02. The owner brought his Series out on the trail, and I kinda drooled over it a bit. I don't think some of the other guys in the group "got it", but by then I was already over the whole hardcore thing and really kinda thought it was the coolest thing I'd seen in a long time. He had a stove and all sorts of camping improvements built into the back, and today I kinda kick myself for not taking more pictures and climbing all over it while I had the chance. I never thought I'd end up getting one, though. 6 years later, and I'm in way over my head.

As I recall, he was dragging himself quite a bit with the 8274. The 2.25L and open diffs were having trouble pushing through the slush, despite some pretty good driving on his part. I should probably try to track him down to see if he still has the Rover...

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Here are picts of the old Rover that rattled all over Burlington Vermont.. The snow covered pic is how I bought it sitting for years and years from a gear out in transmission, or 'gearbox' as the Brits call it... Directions are written all over it in British English, designed to be 'serviced' by the owner. It fired right up of course and was sitting for so long the valves were stuck. I'd never replaced a transmission before but managed to do it and the clutch in about 4 hours or so right then and there in the guy's shop. You pull the entire interior floor panels and have to cherry pic it out from the inside. Typical vintage Rover in all of its quirks (key on the left, turn signals on the right).. Last pic shows "the view" ski parka and all :)

I also included the picture of the Volvo too, all glory in my eyes.. This was right after I pulled it out of our gnarly driveway in upstate New York. About the only time she ever let me down (at least in terms of getting stuck), coming out of a bar in Lake Placid called PJs..

But seriously, there is something about an old Rover that again is a great summer car, great ski town car, and a great around town car... I would even occasionally road trip in it but no one disagrees that is tough and painful... I even carry a permanent scar from when I burned myself drunk one night because I was sloppy and the starter solenoid failed and is close the exhaust manifold from starting it with a screw driver...

One thing I'd mention for anyone in Jackson is if you get bored or need some sense talked into you maybe cruise over to Dukes' place.. He's the one with the neat Land Cruisers in Wilson next to that great Mexican place (forget the name)... He might be a good assett for you as well. I never ever had to do anything majorly mechanical to that Rover that was beyond a simple newby other than the transmission swap, if that helps. The rest was all very simple little stuff even with as long as it had been sitting. They are literally as complex as a 1950s tractor...

hope it helps,
Andre

Attachments

• MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 32
  • sf2.jpg
    sf2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 35
  • beast.jpg
    beast.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 33
  • driving.jpg
    driving.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Make sure the 9th one that sits in the front center seat is petite & pretty as if you want to do anything other than drive in 1st gear your going to be getting intimate. If you plan on getting into 4wd she's pretty much going to be one of the couple that Dieselcruiserhead had fun with.

Thanks for the new sig line... It was time to replace Dostoevsky with a Shoumatoff. Hope you don't mind A, or should I say I hope the Mrs. dieselcruiserhead doesn't mind.

galen216

Adventurer
If you're worried about heating in the cold get a pick-up. A lot less space to heat.

RedRover1.jpg

If my commute was 2 miles I wouldn't hesitate one minute in making my Series truck daily commuter. When we were in Jackson last spring I kept wondering why I didn't see any Series trucks? Seems like the perfect place for one!

scc.jpg

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I think that has more to do with where the dealers were, kinda like International Scouts. You see a lot more old Rovers on the coasts, but not so much in other places unless they migrated there with their owners over the years.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Am I crazy?

Sanity is an interesting concept. Near as I can tell it is a consensus of opinions from a group of people. Since what is considered crazy depends upon what a group thinks, all you need to do is poll a group of people who's opinions coincide with the answer you want. You are asking a group of largely Land Rover owners. You know what the answer will be before you ask that question to this group. That means you want to do it and are just asking for validation of your choice.

If it is something you want to do, just do it. This group has validated your choice. If it is not something you want to do, poll a group of people who like to be warm, comfortable and live uninteresting lives. Get the Land Rover, a block heater, good Defender door seals, insulation and at least a Kodiak heater and live the life you want to live.

"How can life grant us the boon of living if we do not dare to live?" Amelia Earheart.

RBBailey

Observer
I use my stock (except for electronic ignition, an unleaded head, and parabolic springs) 1965 IIa about 2 or 3 times a week to work and back. The trip is about 20 miles total. It has never let me down. I just have to give myself about 10 minutes extra time to get there!

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I bought my Lightweight in '86 and used it as daily driver for the next 14 years including Vermont, Ohio and Wisconsin winters, sometimes with the canvas top (until I got the Disco because my then wife didn't want our kids riding in a Series).
Compared to it, any Land Rover after about 1962 would seem posh. ;)

On Series Rovers with full top, I've rigged a plastic sheet right behind the driving compartment in the winter to retain heat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman