Series Rover Capstan Winch on eBay

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I saw that too. I'd love to put a capstan winch on the Series III someday, but right now I have more immediate priorities. I'll be interested to see how much it goes for.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I'm right with you. Just getting a rolling chassis is my goal right now, and those parts are starting to add up. Who knew bearings and seals cost so much? I guess I'm just used to do only the wheel bearings and seals, not gutting the whole axle and starting over.

For that price (current bid), I would just go with a quality electric winch and be done with it. I bet you could find an 8274 for that.

Still, on the right vehicle it would be a great piece of gear.

Yorker

Adventurer
He had one for a 90/110 on his website for a LONG time, also a hydraulic PTO:
http://k4rovers.com/pb/wp_2e3ae207.html?0.9906282796432584

http://k4rovers.com/pb/wp_0801a457.html?0.1395258896467521

also this:
img1312641f5b17ce1b67.JPG

Genuine Land Rover "MK II" Hydraulic winch. Free spool handle is missing, bracket is broken. Otherwise complete. Includes: PTO, resevoir, control valve and hoses. Everything needed install in your Series LR. Extremely rare item. $800 CND plus actual shipping

Yorker

Adventurer
If you need a PTO for a series there is a good deal here:
http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/topic/4355

Hey all,

I have a tranny mounted PTO for sale, bought it a few years ago and never used it. It bolts to the back of the tranny, has a selector lever that mounts on top in the usual place on the transmission, and has a forward and rear facing output shaft. There is a pulley on the rear shaft. Condition is pretty nice. Price is $200. Shipping via UPS is about $25.00 and it will be well packaged. Unit can be picked up in Cheyenne if you live close enough. I can answer questions here or privately, and will e-mail pics to interested parties. Ruthrfrd@hotmail.com

Hank Rutherford
Cheyenne, Wyoming

Then you could run the PTO winch of your choice. One of the Canadians pictured in my other post used one of them with a Tulsa winch from a tow truck- that is one cool setup!

flipstah

Leaks.
BUMP from the dead!

If I'm interested in putting a capstan winch, can I still use the crank-start method?

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Yes, you can hand crank start with the capstan, you just have to shorten the crank handle.

I sold two of those for $150 each back in the 80's. Sort of wish I'd hung on to them.
It would be fine just as a winch (doesn't have to be just for a restoration) for many people. I think most don't realize that the Range Rovers that crossed the Darien Gap were fitted with these winches. While not a high capacity winch, you get the full capacity regardless of how much rope you're using.

Last edited:

flipstah

Leaks.
Can you even buy these winches still? I've looked around and they seem to be incomplete (Land Rover Winches only sell complete Fairey's).

They're also quite pricey (>=$950).

evilfij

Explorer
Scrap the OD and run a Koenig PTO winch or, if you must keep the OD, run a Koenig crank driven PTO winch.

I never figured out how to use a capstan without two people and it seemed like an accessory and used for pulling things other than a stuck truck more than a real winch for recovery.

junkyddog11

Oil Soaked Filter
You can solo recover but some sitiuations can be a bit hairy and a safety strap is very much recommended. Other than that they are a tremendously usefull gardening tool / light logging tool.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I never figured out how to use a capstan without two people and it seemed like an accessory and used for pulling things other than a stuck truck more than a real winch for recovery.

x2. Never seen one in use. Also you'd have to carry around a bunch of rope. All of this assuming your engine is running.

Or you could find a vintage Warn 8274. Have the period look yet very good capability for cheaper and easier with still available parts.

Also you'd probably be looking at a 12si delco alternator conversion anyway. If you can get a minimum of 60~80 amps from a replacement alternator, then it can feed that beast without any issue.

tacr2man

Adventurer
They are simplicity itself to use , including solo , but you do need to use the correct rope . They can use any length of rope so if you have a 500ft length you can do a continuous pull of about 490 ft ! The only non standard mod that i made was a kill switch on the front of the l/h front fender, but never had cause to use it . They are not very fast as they usually just run off front of crank so depend on engine revs , whereas the pto winches can be driven at engine + gear speed . They are slightly better for recovering other things than self recovery HTSH

junkyddog11

Oil Soaked Filter
I thought about the kill switch also but in reality have never had an issue just letting go of the rope. You can winch with a dead motor through the starter dog, but it is really, really slow. Like evolution type slow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998