Serious Question about getting a JKU

bdp1978

Adventurer
We have both a 1/2 ton Quad Cab Ram and a Wrangler Unlimited. We pack 2 adults, a 7yr old (Booster), a newborn (full car seat obviously), and an Australian Shephard in them. The Jeep is actually used as the "Family Truckster" more often than the truck - mainly due to the kids stuff already being in there. We find ourselves taking the truck though when we are going to be driving longer distances. There is so much more room in the truck. The Jeep fills up very fast, and the backseat is tight with a booster and car seat. The dog isnt too thrilled with the newborn taking up his lounging space! Of course neither is the 7yr old now that I think about it...:sombrero:

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
Holy crap! A $300 booster seat? Ouch.

It does seem a bit steep; until, you factor in that the kids will be in it everyday until they are 7 or 8 years old. For my 5 year old, that works out to about 30 cents a day and for my 3 year old that works out to 20 cents a day. That ain't even cutting into my Reese's fund too much.

geo

I just bought a 2013 unlimited and have three kids (1.5 years, 5 year old twins). I have a rear facing car seat and two boosters with backs and everyone fits fine. When the car sear flips to front facing, it will be tight but by then I will just take the backs off the boosters and it will all fit. Anything that uses the latch system are supposed to be placed on the outside seats locations, but there are 3 tether hooks on the seat backs. I can see the comfort level diminish when the kids get a lot bigger, but for now it works well.

I got rid of my 2008 JKU for an 07 Sierra crew cab and I have missed driving a jeep ever since. I am lucky though, I was able to keep the truck. I can see being able to get all of our gear in the back for weekend trips, but I will defer to the truck for longer camping trips.

Good luck!

onetraveller

Adventurer
You can buy the Jeep and add or rent a utility trailer or Adv trailer for those occasions when you need more space; camping, beach toys, etc. I can't advocate the use of the aftermarket third row seat. The vehicle has not been crash tested in that configuration, so you would be taking the chance that they are safe in the event of an incident.

I have owned pick ups, large SUVs, etc. I found that most of the time, I was just paying to haul around empty space and steel. A 4x8 utility trailer will haul more than most pickups for a fraction of the cost, with minimal maintenance and insurance requirements. If you don't need the trucks towing abilities (the JKU is limited to 3,500 lbs), a Jeep and trailer is far more versatile.

Buy what sings to you. Life is too short.

Mike

Token

Explorer
Holy crap! A $300 booster seat? Ouch.

Yeah, I just don't see what all the hoopla is with the car seats.. I grew up sitting on the fold down armrest in the front seat of of my grandmother's Plymouth. If it was a long trip, you were likely to find my sleeping on the rear deck up in the back window.. Let me tell you there ain't nothing like being woke up and being thrown through the air into the back floor board when she decided to brake check the guy following to close.. Man.. Those were the days..

TxJprs

Observer
Don't skimp on the car seats. Worth every penny for quality that will last and help protect precious cargo. That said, I've got a couple Britax Parkway SGL's in back of my 2012 JKUR and its tight. I normally don't let anyone in the middle because its tight and not comfortable (from what they've told me). It might be ok for three small people, but I'd hate to be back there with any combination of two others or car seats for any length of time. Kids are kids though and probably won't mind nearly as much (most of the time anyway). Mine love to ride in the Jeep.

JTJKU

The tops on the newer Jeeps are pretty dang good at keeping the wet stuff out.. I hear occasionally about a leak, but it's no worse than the GM Sunroof leaking issues that have been around for years.. There's a kit you can get to hold the doors open for you..I can't recall who makes it right now, but I've seen a couple installed and they work great. If the doors are hard to close they need to be aligned better.. The alignment jacks up just a bit when the things are wheeled with the doors off.. You can kinda fix the rear seat issue by putting about 4 fender washers under the 7 feet holding the back seat in place and it will lift under the legs a bit and recline the seat back about an inch.. Not much but it's a help.. I've been talking with a friend of mine that has some manufacturing contacts and I've about got him convinced that some HARD plastic spacers (think bushing material) that were the size of the feet, the right thickness and predrilled could be packaged with a set of longer bolts for not much cost and sell the things for $30 a set and they'd go like hotcakes..

I am certainly interested!

just eric

Adventurer
What is the rear facing seat?

Have you used the Diono in the rear facing configuration? Does it recline enough to let the kiddos sleep? They look pretty vertical in the photos.

geo

What is the rear facing seat?

Have you used the Diono in the rear facing configuration? Does it recline enough to let the kiddos sleep? They look pretty vertical in the photos.

Not even sure anymore, we have had it for so long. It's an Evenflow, no idea on the model without checking the manual. We have not used the Diono's rear facing, and now that I think about it, I am not sure they are even able to go rear facing. Must be a different model, but very similar design from the photos. Best thing to do is go and try out different brands and see what works best for you. One thing I have learned after 3kids and 6 different car seats - when you ask for opinions, every parent thinks theirs is the best!

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
Really want to see this in the JKU...

Here you go, two car seats on the 60 section of the rear seat:

with the 40 folded down:

with my 5'10" 240 lbs self on the 40 section:

I think three kids will work. The Dionos will work rear facing, as forward facing car seats, and as boosters. They are stoutly built and come in a few different fabrics. My little three year old mechanic insisted on the green flower one.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78