Serpentine Belt GenIII

Worshington

Observer
Hey There,

I was wondering how difficult it was to replace the serpentine belt on a 2002 Limited. I noticed that mine is beginning to show age. I am a noob DIY mechanic and have never replaced one before.

Cheers,

Jason

earljuic3

Adventurer
My 2002 Limited is 1 family owned with maintenance done at all the proper intervals. Just hit 120k and did my driveline and timing belts, like corsaoceano said at a minimum I would do the tensioner and idler. Check your fan bearing as well as mine was worn out and we had to replace it as well.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Hey There,

I was wondering how difficult it was to replace the serpentine belt on a 2002 Limited. I noticed that mine is beginning to show age. I am a noob DIY mechanic and have never replaced one before.

Cheers,

Jason

Grab your 1/2" driver and a med. sized allen wrench.
Offer the driver up to the square depression in the tensioner.
In a tightening motion, push the tensioner until you can push the allen wrench all the way through This secures it in place with no tension on the belt.
Take the old belt off and install the new one. Apply a bit of torque the the driver and remove the allen wrench.
Done.

plh

Explorer
Yea. I did the one on the '05 2 months ago. Easy job. Replaced the 2 of the guide pulleys and rebuilt the tensioner pulley (standard 6203 bearing about $10, get one that can handle high RPM). Order all the parts before ya start the job. Amazing how much quieter it is now.

Last edited:

montypower

Adventure Time!
Make sure you route the belt correctly. I've had multiple monteros with belt routed incorrectly. It will wear out the belt quickly. You'll want a 3ft 1/2 breaker bar. Once you've done it before it only takes minutes to do.

MascotRejct

Adventurer
Check the tensioner and idler pulleys for loose or worn bearings while you are in there. Always better to catch those before they cause problems or fail down the road.

Any hints on where to find the idler pulley? Mine should probably be changed sometime in the near future. The only one I can seem to find is the timing belt idler, which I now have two of because I didn't realize it was the same one that came with the timing belt kit...

plh

Explorer
MD368210 & MD374877 were for my '05 (check your VIN in ASA). Picked them up off Amazon in addition to the 6203 bearing (also Amazon)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears