Service body with RTT build

keane

Observer
I have been staring at trailers here for a few years now. And in the summer finally decided to start building my own. The plan as of now is to use a full size fiber glass service body from my old work truck. Going to modify an old travel trailer frame I have to fit under the service body. The suspension will be radius arms off a 78 bronco mounted to a 6000lbs axle with electric brakes. I have a decent assortment of coil springs, so 1 pair should work I hope. And on top of the service body I will be putting a Smittybuild 4 person RTT with annex. I have all the big parts to get started, so hopefully will get the frame out of the snow and into the shop to started working on it in February. Pictures will follow once parts are in the shop.

Jtranum

For a while I’ve been pondering the idea of building a trailer out of a service body to tow behind my ram 2500 since it would be the same width as the truck. I think it’s a great idea. Your plan seems like a good layout. Looking forward to how it turns out.

tlin

Adventurer
Not much to contribute other than encouragement. There's another fiberglass service-body-trailer-turned GREAT camp trailer in here - I'll try to find it soon. I'm also in the "been staring at trailers here for a few years now" category and the hard-to-find fiberglass SB's are interesting.

The platform makes a lot of sense to me, not ideal for all situations (family camping especially) but I'm sold on the idea. Anxious to follow your progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78