Service intervals.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The Transit gets all my KMs and let's be honest in MB everything revolves around Winnipeg, and you don't go all that far.

COVID killed multiple road trips the Fiddy would have been used for. And the hot summers had air conditioning demand higher than I've ever seen it in 17 years. Hence almost living in the van. The truck had 99k in December 2019 and it's at 112k now...
The van was put in service end of September 2018 and is almost at 60k.
Just hit 205,000 kms in my '15.

alanymarce

We follow the manual - the manufacturers have put a lot more effort than we have into researching the optimal service programme.

Since the thread has attracted comments on annual mileage/kilometrage, ours depends on whether it's a "travel year" or not. In travel years we cover 50,000 km or so, in non-travel years it's more like 5000 km.

jbaucom

I follow the OLM for oil changes and the owners' manual severe service recommendations for everything else on my 2019 F150.

jbaucom

Back to the article posted. Guy had bought new. Something I've done from new is get the oil changed and any other required service done at the dealer during the 3 year warranty period.

Costs more but I consider it insurance and I get to know some of the staff. I might get a special promo or freebie inspection or a warranty claim/recall done at the same time. Plus having another older vehicle of the same make, I'll buy stuff at the parts dept. After a time I can get DIY oil and filters as cheap as elsewhere - and they're oe branded. Same potential anywhere I guess if you are a regular.

Depends on your service frequency, the dealer and how convenient it would be. I've made it works for me tho.
I've found GM & Ford dealers usually do oil changes and rotations as cheap, or cheaper, than about anyone but Walmart. I don't have much experience with import brands, but the experience I do have is that they are higher. The local Ford dealer charges $69.99 for an oil change and rotation. I don't think that's too bad considering my 5.0 takes 8.8 qts. However, the Subaru dealer charges over $90 for a 5 qt oil change and a rotation on our Ascent. Admittedly, the Subaru takes synthetic 0w20, but the truck holds almost twice as much. Either one is cheaper than the local quick lube joints.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I would never go past 5k. Manufactures are just playing games with cost of ownership, and its at the expense of the owner. We see so much wear related damage, its sad. Just ask a competent engine tech, he will give you the real answer. Cam Phasers, timing chain issues, tensioner issues, camshaft journals, turbos, all ruined because of the stupid oil life light. We see all day long engines coming in making noise, customer has been changing the oil 8-10k, and oil is not even on the dipstick.

Grassland

This is a reason I ask
The oil monitor and the standard service regiment is one thing, but if you can find out what they consider "normal use" I imagine a lot of us here do not meet the criteria of "normal use".
I just paid $74 after taxes for a full synthetic oil change with Motorcraft filter at the independent shop I use. Seems like cheap insurance. And I use KM not miles, so 8k km is my interval for oil.
I also check my fluids but not nearly often enough. Couple times a month maybe 3 times if it's not winter.
So far hasn't bit me in the but, but it could.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
This is a reason I ask
The oil monitor and the standard service regiment is one thing, but if you can find out what they consider "normal use" I imagine a lot of us here do not meet the criteria of "normal use".
I just paid $74 after taxes for a full synthetic oil change with Motorcraft filter at the independent shop I use. Seems like cheap insurance. And I use KM not miles, so 8k km is my interval for oil.
I also check my fluids but not nearly often enough. Couple times a month maybe 3 times if it's not winter.
So far hasn't bit me in the but, but it could.
That is a great price. They probably only charged you $12.00 labor knowing the parts cost.

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
I would never go past 5k. Manufactures are just playing games with cost of ownership, and its at the expense of the owner. We see so much wear related damage, its sad. Just ask a competent engine tech, he will give you the real answer. Cam Phasers, timing chain issues, tensioner issues, camshaft journals, turbos, all ruined because of the stupid oil life light. We see all day long engines coming in making noise, customer has been changing the oil 8-10k, and oil is not even on the dipstick.
How about Ford and their "lifetime" fluid on PTUs. I changed the fluid at 66K on a used '12 Escape I picked up recently as a cheap commuter beater for the wife. The gear oil was tar. That should be a 30K fluid change. PITA too since no drain plug.

billiebob

...... "Fosuo was quoted $19,000 plus taxes to replace the engine, something he said he can’t afford"

well if he couldn't afford oil changes he obviously is going to be stressed with a $19,000 new engine
hope he doesn't have a monthly loan payment too

billiebob

8,000 per year? That'll keep the kms low for you.

I'm putting on 2,000 + per month just back and forth to work. So not including any other running around...
I drive my TJR 1000km, 600 miles a week. Half of that towing a trailer. 50,000km on the TJR last year. Not that I mean to but I go way past an oil change every 5 weeks.

This is the old TJR, retired it last year with 400,000kms.
DSC_0166_2.jpg

And the new TJR I bought with 110,000kms October, 2020. It has 175,000kms today.
While I might go too far between oil changes, every spring ALL the fluids get changed. Rad, Diffs, Tranny, Transfer case. Just the brake fluid in original.
I do very few deep water crossings but it is amazing how often there is water in the diffs.
DSCN2978.jpg

Last edited:

FordGuy1

Adventurer
How about Ford and their "lifetime" fluid on PTUs. I changed the fluid at 66K on a used '12 Escape I picked up recently as a cheap commuter beater for the wife. The gear oil was tar. That should be a 30K fluid change. PITA too since no drain plug.
Lifetime fluid is a scam. Who's life? Ford warranty or the customers pocketbook. PTU's beat the heck out of fluid, its a Volvo unit. Its probably on the way out if it was that dirty.

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
Lifetime fluid is a scam. Who's life? Ford warranty or the customers pocketbook. PTU's beat the heck out of fluid, its a Volvo unit. Its probably on the way out if it was that dirty.
Yeah, it's on the watchlist, noisy but functions and it's not puking out the breather. I'll empty and refill in another 1k miles and see if that helps. If not, I'll get a new one and replace it when the weather gets warmer

Who thought it would be a good idea to surround the PTU, that has a quart of fluid in it with heat sources? brilliant! As you know, it's buried in there and gets hot.

Ford obviously didn't care. The vehicle goes out of warranty and then we clip them for a $2K repair!

nickw

Adventurer
Running oil LOW is different than oil degrading over time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online