Service/Utility Bodies

eyemgh

I'm thinking this, maybe 1 less step. Really, how to seal it? Think Ambulance, Snap On Tool Van, Amazon, Old Dutch. Done every day.
Just scale down this. The step in on the inside, the door seal is just bigger.

View attachment 698637

A longer wheelbase, yes in front, short wheelbase, behind the axle. Either way soo much better than this.
Just add the step inside. I love this unit but why carry a step stool. Just build in the step.

View attachment 698638

This is just so impractical. A $100K unit and a $30 hardware store ladder that does not even fit.... If you know how a ladder should fit. A step would fit either side of the axle here.

I grew up camping in the 1970s. Access was always the number one consideration. No one would buy something as poorly thought out as this back then.

View attachment 698639

Low step in and high ground clearance are pretty incompatible. I think scissors steps are probably the best answer, short of a super complex suspension system that lowers like Liquid Spring.

You could have a colab with a flatbed maker and put the steps where one of the lower boxes would be. Lots of bucks though, and you could never separate the camper from the bed.

Last edited:

Paul B.

Adventurer
We built a utility bed with permanent camper 4 years ago. '93 F-350 4 door 4x4 long bed, found an apropos utility bed from a '73 Ford. You need the one with no trays or boxes that access from the top. Also the older ones have piano style door hinges, I liked that much better. '88 FWC Keystone fit in by fairly simple modification to the utility bed. Bolted the camper to the frame. We run it down into the Saline Valley 3 - 5 times a year without any issues. Set up is perfect, recovery gear, tools, "garage" stuff in the exterior boxes. Food, dishes, clothes, bedding inside the camper.

Zuber

I'm thinking this, maybe 1 less step. Really, how to seal it? Think Ambulance, Snap On Tool Van, Amazon, Old Dutch. Done every day.
Just scale down this. The step in on the inside, the door seal is just bigger.

View attachment 698637

A longer wheelbase, yes in front, short wheelbase, behind the axle. Either way soo much better than this.
Just add the step inside. I love this unit but why carry a step stool. Just build in the step.

View attachment 698638

This is just so impractical. A $100K unit and a $30 hardware store ladder that does not even fit.... If you know how a ladder should fit. A step would fit either side of the axle here.

I grew up camping in the 1970s. Access was always the number one consideration. No one would buy something as poorly thought out as this back then.

View attachment 698639

Yeah, that was my build. Only had the camper on 1/5 of the time, otherwise it was used as a flat bed truck. The ladder was a design late in the build, but it worked great. It's hooking onto tie down points that are at ten locations around the bed. So, you could reach the sides, windows and the top if down. The ladder hung on a rack at the back and was very light, maybe 20 lbs. This build was intended to be as light as possible. The bed and tool boxes only gained about 300 lbs over the stock bed. Camper was 850 lbs before the interior build. Interior maybe added another 300 lbs. I could carry four big guys and tow a 7000 lb trailer with 8 motorcycles. 4 dual sports and 4 trials.

billiebob

Everything is a compromise but why not blend where we are today with where we were yesterday.

So much thought in this tiny Caravan from 60 years ago. Steps that almost meet building code...
plus look at the commode... and flip up semi privacy/shelf.
Not to mention the pullman seating.

On the steps, just engineer the numbers to work, draw it out before building, think before getting stuck with a $30 step stool.
Today, do one step up inside, 2 or 3 risers that flip down. ALL 9" rise..... the deck could be 36" above grade.
You'd get a set of fixed steps.

Anyone in construction knows ladders are one of the biggest source of accidents.
Top consideration with steps. Make ALL the risers EQUAL.
We live with consistent equal rise/run all day.
Why think you don't need that camping and .... drinking.

This one fails on the rise/run equality thing but gives a good example of how to eliminate the freaking ladders.
1637352968d4a055fbBedford212.jpeg

We should be beyond this.

27610148507_d71abf2f6e_k.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78