Several questions about Ram 2500/3500 Cummins...

Overdrive

Adventurer
-my assumption is that the payload for a stock single axle quad cab 3500 is about 3000 pounds. Is that correct?
Truck weighs ~7400, GVW is 9900, so payload would be ~2500.

This is with the NV5600...heavier than the auto. And I can't remember if that weight was with the fiberglass tonneau cover on or not. So your payload may be a couple hundred higher.

805gregg

Adventurer
Personally I would stay away from DRW. I have had poor experiences with DWR in Snow and gravel / fire roads. I know you cant beat them for payload...but for off the beaten track travel, I dont know. That is just my $.02

Plus offroad you pick up rocks between the rear tires and get flats.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Wow guys I am really impressed by the comments so far.
It looks like everyone really like their Dodge Cummins. Almost makes me wonder why they are not more popular as an Overland base vehicle.

So they only roadblock for me now would be to resign myself to sell my pristine low mileage trouble free 4Runner...

I will keep my eyes open for a 2006 with low mileage.
2007 actually was the last year for a 5.9. '03-'07 2500 all have the AAM 11.50". rear axle. The G-56 manual is indeed a great tranny. The dual mass flywheel clutch is the weak link. Southbend Clutch makes a bulletproof conversion for it. Carli Suspension or Thuren Fabrication have the necessary enhancements to transform the onroad and offroad load carrying capacity and handling. I owned a '98.5 CTD before this one and 3rd gens. rule.

Last edited:

angusdevil

Adventurer
2007 actually was the last year for a 5.9. '03-'07 2500 all have the AAM 11.25" rear axle. The G-56 manual is indeed a great tranny. The dual mass flywheel clutch is the weak link. Southbend Clutch makes a bulletproof conversion for it. Carli Suspension or Thuren Fabrication have the necessary enhancements to transform the onroad and offroad load carrying capacity and handling. I owned a '98.5 CTD before this one and 3rd gens. rule.

Well said!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman