Severe weather or other safety alerts to your InReach, Zoleo, etc.

WanderingBison

The website info seems a bit sparse in the "how it works" section, but I think I might give it a try because I like the idea.

I have now heard this twice today, so we will make some improvements.

That said, we are trying to keep a balance by providing a high level, simple explanation of what we provide from a marketing perspective, while also protecting some of the work we have done over the last two years in the development of this solution.

But I hear you! We will add some of the technical details in the coming weeks to address your feedback.

I'm happy to roll up my sleeves and get into the technical details with you if you have any questions.

Ask away.

J.S.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

williaty

Our initial push is for Garmin and Zoleo devices, but we have designed our solution to provide the service to many other devices, including the ACR Bivy Stick.

Garmin is the dominant player, so supporting the inReach devices was a no-brainer. We have been working closely with the Zoleo team for nearly two years, and there are some benefits today (with the potential for more to come) to the Zoleo system that makes it a perfect fit for our service.

That said, we are confident we can support several other platforms (Bivy, Somewear, Solara, etc.) but have not tested with those devices.

We will send you a screening questionnaire in the next day or two where you can tell us you are using a Bivy Stick.

If you are willing to spend some time with us, we can likely get you up and running pretty quickly using the Bivy Stick. It will also allow us to work out the last few details before we offer the service more broadly to Bivy Stick users.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or want to discuss this further. I will also keep an eye out for your Early Access application

J.S.

I've answered your screening email. I've done a lot of testing work for the automotive aftermarket before, as well as a few software projects. I'm more familiar than I want to be with how to file and actually useful bug report, so I'd love to help you roll out support for the Bivy.

WanderingBison

I've answered your screening email. I've done a lot of testing work for the automotive aftermarket before, as well as a few software projects. I'm more familiar than I want to be with how to file and actually useful bug report, so I'd love to help you roll out support for the Bivy.

Fantastic!

Very happy to get you on-board and it sounds like you’re perfect to help us (and other Bivy users) get things rolling.

We’ll be in touch shortly!

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WanderingBison

Man, the system is getting a workout today here in Western Washington. Lots of flood alerts and warnings going out due to the 10 gallons of rain that have fallen in the past few hours.

I was in that area over the weekend, did a few hundred mile drive loop, and hike. With the InReach Mini on tracking, did not miss a beat. It works for sure.

I love getting this feedback! Thank you.

It's exciting to see all the alerts going out, and it's certainly been busy in the PNW! I just have to remind myself that as exciting as it is, this is severe weather, and it can have severe consequences. Hopefully, we can help you stay safe!

I've been in the southwest Washington area for the last several days, and it's incredible to see the creeks and rivers swell as they have. And I suspect that things will get worse over the next two or three days until the rain and snow melt slows down and the temperatures get more seasonal.

Keep your feedback coming, and don't be shy; the harsh and constructive feedback will help us make this better for you and this community.

J.S.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
J.S,
1st, thank you for doing all the work and putting this together, as well as allowing us to do some testing for you. I Imagine I will be recommending it when it goes live. As I see the value for the laypersons, but also those professionals who use these devices.

Possible feedback, but it would depend on how the alerts are set up and filtered on the back end.

• The easy ability to toggle Alerts on and off (Probably already on your dashboard) Edit: I see the " enable" on the device dashboard.
  • The possibility to toggle specific alerts as on or off specific to the activity/customize. A few examples
Maybe I am on a raft trip in a canyon, so Flash Flood/Rain pertinent. But I may not need high wind warnings.

Or I am working in Greenland, and I know it will be windy all the time.) So anything out of the normal would be more concerning.

I am working Medical on a wildland fire, So I wouldn’t need the fire alerts since I am working there.

Weather Specific: Wind, Rain, Snow, Etc.

Natural Disasters Specific: Tornado, Flood, Fire,Hurricane,etc

Does that make sense, would anyone else find value in it?

It may be I am the outlier, since work puts me in places where things are outside the norm.

WanderingBison

J.S,
1st, thank you for doing all the work and putting this together, as well as allowing us to do some testing for you. I Imagine I will be recommending it when it goes live. As I see the value for the laypersons, but also those professionals who use these devices.

Possible feedback, but it would depend on how the alerts are set up and filtered on the back end.

• The easy ability to toggle Alerts on and off (Probably already on your dashboard) Edit: I see the " enable" on the device dashboard.
  • The possibility to toggle specific alerts as on or off specific to the activity/customize. A few examples
Maybe I am on a raft trip in a canyon, so Flash Flood/Rain pertinent. But I may not need high wind warnings.

Or I am working in Greenland, and I know it will be windy all the time.) So anything out of the normal would be more concerning.

I am working Medical on a wildland fire, So I wouldn’t need the fire alerts since I am working there.

Weather Specific: Wind, Rain, Snow, Etc.

Natural Disasters Specific: Tornado, Flood, Fire,Hurricane,etc

Does that make sense, would anyone else find value in it?

It may be I am the outlier, since work puts me in places where things are outside the norm.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback!

I make every effort to be as transparent as possible about our service with our early user community, but I will only share some of what we have in mind, so we don't create expectations we won't meet at all or won't meet for some time. There are also some good competitive reasons to protect some of our plans. With that, let me share my thoughts on your feedback.
I'm happy to hear that you see value in the service we provide for recreational users and professionals - I see the same value. We plan on bringing the service to various communities, with some features specifically designed for professionals.

We already have many improvements on our roadmap for the next several months that will allow our users to opt in and out of various alerts based on their needs. I am glad you noticed the ability to enable or disable a device that is currently on our dashboard. We have some thoughts on how to improve this further, but we want to let our early users share with us what they want and what would work for them.

Over the next few months, as we continue to improve our primary service, we will engage with our users regularly to actively ask them for their thoughts on one area or another of our solution. I look forward to our continued conversation with you here but also behind the scenes.

Your perspective on expected conditions, either because of where you are (Greenland) or why you are there (wildfire theatre), raises some interesting considerations.

I will likely follow up with you in January to discuss your professional needs and how we can support them.

You might be interested in learning that the threshold for a watch or warning reflects an area's "normal" conditions. I can't speak for Greenland, but that's true in Canada and the U.S. For instance, winds that would trigger a Wind Watch or Warning inland might not be high enough for a Watch or Warning in coastal areas.

Your feedback makes excellent sense, and while your use cases might be more demanding, they aren’t inconsistent with adventurers or professionals in remote areas.

Thanks for your feedback!

PS - We would still be happy to welcome more Early Access users.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Update on my user experience.
Alerts were definitely working :)
Communication from Adiona has been great. The email updates answered most of the questions that were bouncing around in my mind. Specifically the seemingly duplicate alerts which weren't actually duplicates.

We were camping in Morro Bay in California and getting the High Surf, and Coastal Flooding alerts. At first I didn't think much of it, but turned out there was some fairly serious flooding that happened near our location. It did prompt me to move inland for our next leg of our trip sooner than later so for me - It's working!

Thanks J.S. for all the hard work and having me aboard for the early user testing.

WanderingBison

Update on my user experience.
Alerts were definitely working :)
Communication from Adiona has been great. The email updates answered most of the questions that were bouncing around in my mind. Specifically the seemingly duplicate alerts which weren't actually duplicates.

We were camping in Morro Bay in California and getting the High Surf, and Coastal Flooding alerts. At first I didn't think much of it, but turned out there was some fairly serious flooding that happened near our location. It did prompt me to move inland for our next leg of our trip sooner than later so for me - It's working!

Thanks J.S. for all the hard work and having me aboard for the early user testing.

It is great to get such positive feedback, even as we know we still have a lot of work to do before our solution is where we want it to be, where we know it can be.

As you know, we keep an eye on the alerts we issue to ensure our users get the potentially life-saving alerts and ensure the safeguards and redundancies we have implemented are working correctly. When we noticed the news reports of the monster wave events sweeping people and rigs away, we were happy to know you had received the alerts.

To hear that the alerts helped you make informed decisions, even altering your plans in response, reinforces the value we believe there is in Adiona Alerts. It's why we exist!

At one point, one day that week, we were monitoring the highest number of active alerts at any one time since we launched. We were monitoring nearly 900 active safety alerts, ranging from Blizzard Warnings in Alaska and some parts of Canada to Small Craft Advisories on the coast of southern Florida and Hawaii, not to mention a "few" Rainfall and Flood warnings on the west coast of Canada and the U.S.

We can't wait to see where your travels take you next and how we can give you some added peace of mind along the way.

J.S.

williaty

It is great to get such positive feedback, even as we know we still have a lot of work to do before our solution is where we want it to be, where we know it can be.

As you know, we keep an eye on the alerts we issue to ensure our users get the potentially life-saving alerts and ensure the safeguards and redundancies we have implemented are working correctly. When we noticed the news reports of the monster wave events sweeping people and rigs away, we were happy to know you had received the alerts.

To hear that the alerts helped you make informed decisions, even altering your plans in response, reinforces the value we believe there is in Adiona Alerts. It's why we exist!

At one point, one day that week, we were monitoring the highest number of active alerts at any one time since we launched. We were monitoring nearly 900 active safety alerts, ranging from Blizzard Warnings in Alaska and some parts of Canada to Small Craft Advisories on the coast of southern Florida and Hawaii, not to mention a "few" Rainfall and Flood warnings on the west coast of Canada and the U.S.

We can't wait to see where your travels take you next and how we can give you some added peace of mind along the way.

J.S.
I filled out the intake survey a while ago. Any thoughts on when you might want to roll out Bivy testing?

WanderingBison

I filled out the intake survey a while ago. Any thoughts on when you might want to roll out Bivy testing?

Hey Williaty,

We have not forgotten you!

We have had a couple of conversations with the Bivy team, are reviewing the API (the computer communication protocol) to allow our service to get the location data from Bivy and will have a much better idea of how much work it will require sometime over the next week.

We are a small (and mighty) team that is juggling what you would expect any tech start-up to be, so adding support for your device is a balance between supporting the current users and devices and growing our service while prioritizing which provide to implement next based on the number of users who have expressed interest.

I will reach out to you by the end of next week with an update to give you a sense of the timeline.

Thanks for your patience!

J.S.

williaty

Hey Williaty,

We have not forgotten you!

We have had a couple of conversations with the Bivy team, are reviewing the API (the computer communication protocol) to allow our service to get the location data from Bivy and will have a much better idea of how much work it will require sometime over the next week.

We are a small (and mighty) team that is juggling what you would expect any tech start-up to be, so adding support for your device is a balance between supporting the current users and devices and growing our service while prioritizing which provide to implement next based on the number of users who have expressed interest.

I will reach out to you by the end of next week with an update to give you a sense of the timeline.

Thanks for your patience!

J.S.
Coolio. Like I said, I've worked with other software startups in the same place in their timeline as you, so I'm well aware it's always a juggling act. I also know that gently asking for features that matter to me to be supported on a regular basis has often been the only reason the final product supported me and others with the same hardware, so I'll keep bugging you!

WanderingBison

Coolio. Like I said, I've worked with other software startups in the same place in their timeline as you, so I'm well aware it's always a juggling act. I also know that gently asking for features that matter to me to be supported on a regular basis has often been the only reason the final product supported me and others with the same hardware, so I'll keep bugging you!

You do know ! You bet, keep bugging us, and feel free to get other Bivy users on-board ;)

We might even call it Project Williaty

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Still works well, sent me alerts about tides when I was on the coast a few weekends back. And I dont think I got any duplicates. I may try and sent it with my brother in Morocco, Mongolia. ( for a moto trip) and see how it works there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior