Shachagra- Family of 5 traveles Europe and Turkey, International 7500

howell_jd

Adventurer
Brilliant! I have enjoyed every aspect of this - and I look forward to "retirement" and projects galore as well. For the time being my own small family is much-enjoying our EarthRoamer. Exploring and travel is in my blood too. Thank you so much for your insights as well as your service!

Jonathan

shachagra

Adventurer
Killer RV Upgrades

True Entertainment did a show on RV Upgrades that included lots of stuff that would interest some in this group, bits on Shachagra, Earthroamer, the amphibious stainless steel RV and an awesome Albatross, flying RV. Here is part of the clip on our trip.

Reactions: B85

Entropy

Observer
Saw that show and thought it was pretty cool. The flying boat RV was really outside-of-the-box thinking for me - what a great idea! Was nice to see some more info on your build and trip as well.

DavidG

Adventurer
It really is a great build and I thoroughly enjoyed the thread. The cabin layout reminds me of the Wild Thornberry's Comvee! I always liked the idea of lower berths and you proved it both possible and practical.

pods8

Explorer
Out of curiosity what products did you end up using for fairing/filling out over the fiberglass exterior and the paint system over top of it? I see in the video is was rolled on, one part or two part system? How'd the finish turn out up close?

I'm looking ahead on my foamcore/fiberglass build and still up in the air on that stage. Might use epoxy/microballon slurry for the fairing but always looking for suggestions. On paint I've got no clue yet since there are so many systems be it basic oil & latex or two part epoxies or automotive systems, etc. Right now I'm thinking something light grey and not high gloss would be nice so limit attention to any imperfections...

shachagra

Adventurer
Out of curiosity what products did you end up using for fairing/filling out over the fiberglass exterior and the paint system over top of it? I see in the video is was rolled on, one part or two part system? How'd the finish turn out up close?

I'm looking ahead on my foamcore/fiberglass build and still up in the air on that stage. Might use epoxy/microballon slurry for the fairing but always looking for suggestions. On paint I've got no clue yet since there are so many systems be it basic oil & latex or two part epoxies or automotive systems, etc. Right now I'm thinking something light grey and not high gloss would be nice so limit attention to any imperfections...
We used West System microballoons, so easy to use, sand easily, very light weight and are amazingly strong. The big surprise of the finish was the paint, used Interlux Topsider one part paint with much more success than we thought we'd have. I planned to put a rough finish on her before the trip due to the short build time, and then do a "proper" job after, but I am so pleased with the paint I wouldn't change it even if someone else paid for it! On the trip we had a few scrapes (you should see the van we destroyed to get our minor scrape) and they painted out very easily. Not cheap, about 30$ a quart.
We had her in the driveway for the last week and it was so nice to go back and finish some of the jobs that no one will ever see or care about, but that retirement allows me to do. My Grandchildren may appreciate the effort someday.
Have you seen the method of applying microballoons with a toothed trowel, then sanding off the high points, then filling in the "valleys" with more fairing compound with a flat trowel? Works great. My boy faired and painted the entire truck with no previous experience using that method.

Last edited:

shachagra

Adventurer
It really is a great build and I thoroughly enjoyed the thread. The cabin layout reminds me of the Wild Thornberry's Comvee! I always liked the idea of lower berths and you proved it both possible and practical.

My daughter called the entire trip "The Wild Thornberries Remix"

pods8

Explorer
We used West System microballoons, so easy to use, sand easily, very light weight and are amazingly strong. The big surprise of the finish was the paint, used Interlux Topsider one part paint with much more success than we thought we'd have. I planned to put a rough finish on her before the trip due to the short build time, and then do a "proper" job after, but I am so pleased with the paint I wouldn't change it even if someone else paid for it! On the trip we had a few scrapes (you should see the van we destroyed to get our minor scrape) and they painted out very easily. Not cheap, about 30$ a quart.
We had her in the driveway for the last week and it was so nice to go back and finish some of the jobs that no one will ever see or care about, but that retirement allows me to do. My Grandchildren may appreciate the effort someday.
Have you seen the method of applying microballoons with a toothed trowel, then sanding off the high points, then filling in the "valleys" with more fairing compound with a flat trowel? Works great. My boy faired and painted the entire truck with no previous experience using that method.

Did you mean interlux "brightside" their 1 part polyurathane? I don't see one called topsider. Glad to hear that 1 part worked out well for you, I was leary on one part systems, sounds like that system can be sprayed with a basic HVLP gun (which I have) which is nice for quick coverage and fairly easy cleaning. Another system I was reading on was Benjamin Moore's Aliphatic Urathane but it sounds like that needs to be shot out of an airless sprayer (which I also have but cleaning would be a PITA). Still got time to stew...

Yeah I've read on the toothed micro balloon application for quicker fairing, glad to hear the micro slurry worked well for you since that is where I was leaning. I assume you did a straight epoxy coat over the faired balloons prior to the paint? Did you use the interlux primer for the brightside system as well?

shachagra

Adventurer
Did you mean interlux "brightside" their 1 part polyurathane? I don't see one called topsider. Glad to hear that 1 part worked out well for you, I was leary on one part systems, sounds like that system can be sprayed with a basic HVLP gun (which I have) which is nice for quick coverage and fairly easy cleaning. Another system I was reading on was Benjamin Moore's Aliphatic Urathane but it sounds like that needs to be shot out of an airless sprayer (which I also have but cleaning would be a PITA). Still got time to stew...

Yeah I've read on the toothed micro balloon application for quicker fairing, glad to hear the micro slurry worked well for you since that is where I was leaning. I assume you did a straight epoxy coat over the faired balloons prior to the paint? Did you use the interlux primer for the brightside system as well?
You're right, my bust, its called Brightside- I think Topsider is a shoe or something. Spraying the finish would work well, I have done lots of car painting and can't recall exactly why I didn't spray, but rolling it on and tipping with a good brush worked well. I didn't coat the fairing compound with epoxy- should have but epoxy is such a bear to sand and the Interlux primer worked well over the fairing compound. Its been two years and the finish is holding up very well. I coat with epoxy when there isn't much finish work to be done such as on the inside of storage compartments etc, or when there is a perfect finish to be had, and a flat easy to sand surface- such as cabinet doors.
I also used good old bondo for very small imperfections that I didn't want to mix a batch of fairing for, or if I needed it to harden quickly.

shachagra

Adventurer
What makes a good "expedition Vehicle"

A friend sent me the following link http://www.examiner.com/article/the-world-s-best-overland-expedition-vehicle
I was amazed to see Shachagra recognized as an "expedition vehicle." I have always thought she was a great family expedition vehicle, but with only 8 of 10 tires live, and no form of 3 point body attachment, I didn't think most would see her in that light. Possibly the author doesn't know what she lacks, or just needed something to fill a list, but after thinking about it, I feel self-sufficiency is just as important as the ability to rock crawl, maybe more so. If we conserved water we could easily go 1800 miles and 45+ days with no contact with or assistance from anyone. We spent many weeks parked on pristine, isolated beaches in Southern Turkey walking into villages just to meet people and get the luxury of fresh produce.

What do you guys think- What makes an "expedition vehicle" I have been impressed with the knowledge of the regulars on this forum and would love your feedback.

I may be converting a 4X4 E350 van with a friend and I think we can improve on what I've seen available. I drove a 1971 Chevy van converted by my dad throughout college and look forward to giving it a try myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman