Shell vs RTT for camping with fullsize

vanatee2000

Observer
got a new ram 1500, crew cab, 6'4" bed, and currently have an RTT. Ive thought about a shell either by itself or with a decked system. Trying to decide if the shell is worth it for overland camping. I keep my fridge in the cab with my dog and can put whatever else in there like stoves and things.

kodiak-black

Observer
For me it's been a shell with a sleeping platform for the past 3 trucks. Never have owned a roof top tent, but having seen some friends have a miserable time trying to sleep in some very windy conditions reinforced my decision.

wgeyer88

I picked a shell over a RTT for a few reasons. Both have their pros and cons, but this is my personal preference.
1. I can stealth camp with the shell but not the RTT.
2. Much easier with dogs. They can jump in the back of the truck bed but not a RTT.
3. Ease of setting up/tearing down camp. There's nothing to "fold up" or put away with the shell. Bed is always ready.

Explorerinil

Observer
I had a shell on my last truck with a decked system, it worked great and was easily to sleep in. The major downside is your bed fills up with gear quickly to the point it’s touching the roof of the shell. Also, forget about hauling large items with the decked and a shell.

I don’t know the perfect option for me, I’m still searching for it. A RTT is not the best either, tons of downsides to that. I don’t want to climb up and down a ladder at 3 am when I got to pee and I don’t want to get blow around in the wind.

phsycle

Adventurer
I don’t like RTT’s.

If I were in your shoes, I’d get a high rise shell. Windoors. Roof tracks so you can store stuff up there if needed. I like the “gramps” look of the high rise shell as well.

dstefan

What about a cab-over pop-up shell? Eg, Vagabond Nomad, FWC M shell, AT Summit or Atlas, or Ovrlnd. Lots more room, not much more weight (350-400 lbs for the shell, not plus built ins). Main downside seems to be aerodynamics over the cab. Seems like best of both worlds, plus other advantages (sheltered place to stand up or hang for an extended period of bad weather).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears