Shock Absorbers for Canter

gait

Explorer
I have a 2005 FG648E. Driven 30,000km from Malaysia, China, Mongolia, to UK. Standard suspension. Only a couple of bottom leaves on one front spring broken - repair in Hungary! Front shock absorbers weak, one rear shock absorber leaking oil. Time for new ones.

I can't find the thread here where shock absorbers were discussed.

General question. What would be good shock absorbers to fit which are likely to be available in UK?

1Engine

Observer
I replace the shocks on my NPS with units that fit on a kenworth with air bag suspension.

I ended up in a truck spring supplier & discussed the situation of my truck before the decision was made

FG Surfari

Adventurer
Bilstein 5100 series shocks

I have a 2005 FG648E. Driven 30,000km from Malaysia, China, Mongolia, to UK. Standard suspension. Only a couple of bottom leaves on one front spring broken - repair in Hungary! Front shock absorbers weak, one rear shock absorber leaking oil. Time for new ones.

I can't find the thread here where shock absorbers were discussed.

General question. What would be good shock absorbers to fit which are likely to be available in UK?

I am running Bilstein 5100 series shocks on my 2004 Fuso FG.
There is a thread here somewhere from a couple of months ,with the part numbers.
Best money spent on the truck to date. :smiley_drive:

gait

Explorer
thanks, it was the Bilstein thread I remembered but couldn't find. Found it now. Part numbers should make buying a tad easier!

gait

Explorer
the part numbers for those Bilsteins have changed.
F4-BE5-6243-H5 >>>> FRONT >>> 24-185523
F4-BE5-6244-H5 >>>> REAR >>> 24-185530

Rears would have had to come from US, 12 weeks delivery! Quicker and cheaper off internet of course.

Unfortunately I couldn't reconcile the measurements from the specs with what I could measure on my truck (standard Aus suspension for 2005 FG649E).

ATW to the rescue. There's a set of shock absorbers that came off a truck that's been modified on their way to me. Thanks to Mark.

We'll figure out how to change to parabolic springs while on the road early next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears