Shock boots, or no shock boots?

musicmaan

Observer
I'm just about to mount some Bilstein 5125 shocks on my Tacoma. They come with the rubber shock boots. I'm curious if most people use them or go without?

irish_11

Explorer
I have mine on my Tacoma, it can get a little muddy or dusty up here so I have them on to stay dry. The ones I have on my 4runner didn't come with any, so I don't have any on them

java

Expedition Leader
i think they trap mud/dust and scar the shaft more than the few rocks that will get kicked up that they are designed to protect against.
if they can be sealed REALLY well to keep stuff out then you can run them if you want. i never have.

but they would be pretty darn easy to cut off later if you decide you dont want them on.:elkgrin:

bjowett

Adventurer
I work on/build allot of dampers (mostly Ohlins, but some Fox, too), protection of the rod and seals greatly extends the life of the unit. Boots have earned a bad reputation over the years, and with good reason. When boots are zip tied on they don't let anything that has made its way in an easy way to get out. It's mostly water and silt/sand, which builds up in there, and wreacks havoc. A loose boot or metal/plastic tube shield is the proper way, as it lets stuff back out. If the boot is tight, I cut a slit in it so it can drape over the shock body and allow stuuf to escape. It also allows inspection and a quick spray out should it be required. IME

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I recently had to replace the shaft on a 7100 from rock damage. One tiny ding was was that it took for it to have a major oil leak. With a 51XX series you won't have that option, you'll need to replace the whole shock.

Since mono-tubes can (& should in most cases) be mounted body up the case for running with no boots looses a lot of traction. With the body up there isn't much of a ledge for debris to build up on, but the shock shaft is otherwise fairly exposed to flying debris. I suppose that if you are using the full stroke of the shock that the little ledge at the eyelet can build up enough debris to be a problem. I would suggest simply cutting the boot at the lowest accordion fold.

When the body must be mounted down (for whatever reason), then the no boots argument has merit. With the body down the shaft is up in a more protected location, so the boots aren't as necessary. And with the body down there is a significant ledge for debris to build up on if there is a boot to contain it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle