Shock failure experience

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
After my last trip out as usual, I filled up the SMB with fresh diesel so while stored there is as little space for any moisture condensation.

A few days later while walking past the SMB I noticed a large puddle of diesel collecting on the ground. At first I just through it might be a fill hose loose but upon closer inspection here is what I found:

IMG_1202.jpg

It appears that the Bilstein shock stem broke away from it's upper mount and has been hammering one of the corner seams of my oversized fuel tank. The top weld seam must now have a small crack and is allowing fuel to escape.

I've never had a shock mount stem shear off like this.

IMG_1208.jpg

What I thought was going to be an easy fix of tightening a hose clamp has now turned into a major job requireing the removal of the tank for repair.

Anyone else had any experience with this type of problem?

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Gvan

Observer
For the fuel tank repair you could, since its at the top clean it up and use epoxy or some other type of metal repair, that way you don't have to take it out, plus it is really full now.

As for the shock it looks like it broke where it was welded to the treads. I wonder if they are not long enough (too short when fully extended) for your application.
Before you replace the shocks check carefully for the size you need do not just replace them with the same number.

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Outcome on shock.....

I'll look into the epoxy idea, Thanks.

I took the SMB back to Deavers who where the ones who installed the better leaf springs and Bilstein shocks. They took care of everything labor and parts FREE. It is so good to do business with someone who stands by their work. :ylsmoke::):)

Thanks Jeff at Deavers,

Fred
Explorer 1 & 2

superjunkman

I was flying down the road leaving Scorpion Bay in Baja and hit a pot hole thus exploding a shock some years ago. It turns out Mortiqador is Spanish for shock. They fixed it for me in Ciudad Constitution.

John E Davies

Adventurer
FWIW I woudn't use epoxy for a permanent repair on something as critical as a fuel tank. Even if it's a PITA to remove, I am sure you would feel better 500 miles from home, in the middle of the desert, knowing that crack was fixed correctly..... rather than worrying that the epoxy might pop off and the crack could widen.

Peace of mind is important!

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears