shock recommendations

wcdu

Observer
I am considering replacing the shocks on my 2005 GMC 2500 HD Duramax 4x4crew cab. It has 81,000+ miles on it and has been awesome for my usage. It has a 45 gal fuel tank, air bags in the rear, box hitch front & rear for a winch on a adaptor and a serious brush guard. I use a retractable tonneau cover with a luggage rack over the front of the bed behind the cab. I seldom tow it anymore but I do have a 30' fifth wheel. Mostly I tow my Jumping Jack with a Polaris Ranger or ATV's. I think I need to replace the shocks. No handling issues, just think it is time. I have used Monroes and Bilstiens on other vehicles. The tires are on the stock aluminum wheels but are slightly oversize from the stock or OEM. No lifts. Last but not least, I guess I have to admit most of my driving is on the highway getting me to cool places more than any hard off roading.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Steve

TRACTION

Adventurer
I have Bilstein 5100s on my Dodge 2500 and have been quite pleased with them for both around town and towing.

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
I'm wondering what kind of experiences people have had with Rancho 9000xl's. I like the idea of adjustable dampening when my loads change to correspond with my airbags for preload adjustment.

Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack your thread...:)

-Chris

strider3700

Adventurer
I've never used the rancho's but I know a lot of people hate the automatic control system for them. They always seem to leak.

Stan the Man

Adventurer
I'm wondering what kind of experiences people have had with Rancho 9000xl's. I like the idea of adjustable dampening when my loads change to correspond with my airbags for preload adjustment.

Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack your thread...:)

-Chris

They suck, if you spend the money on a quality monotube shock with proper valving you won't need adjustability. Basically its Rancho's way of hoping "you" can fix their laziness. My friend has them and they ride like Superlift's $5 scratch/dents.

chasespeed

Explorer
Another vote on the 5100s...

Dont waste your money on the others....

Anything better, is going to be a custom shock.

Chase

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
My stock answer would be Bilsteins or a similar mono-tube design, but since you're towing with the truck they may not be the right choice. I'd suggest making the performance per dollar comparison with something like the Monroe Gas Magnums (assuming those are still in production).
They're no serious off roading damper, but I was impressed with what they did for the driving dynamics of my Econoline.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Bils damping is superior, but A) I'm not sure that the difference would be all that noticeable in this application, and B) Bilstein 5100s do tend to fall a bit short when large masses are involved. The Gas Magnums are designed for the application.

Nick02

once again, Bilsteins "Ya Know The Germans Always Make Good Stuff!"
I've used OEM, rancho's, Doetsch tech, and monroe's (they all seem to last 5k-15k for me) and nothing can even touch the bilstein's in terms of quality and performance!

I've never used them but my next set (very soon) will be the Bilstein 5100s...to replace the Rancho 9000xls I have now. Very dissatisfied with them. They replaced the Monroe Gas Magnums I used to run, which I liked very much. I'll try the Bils based on the tremendous feedback and support on this site. :sombrero:

Nick02

I've never used them but my next set (very soon) will be the Bilstein 5100s...to replace the Rancho 9000xls I have now. Very dissatisfied with them. They replaced the Monroe Gas Magnums I used to run, which I liked very much. I'll try the Bils based on the tremendous feedback and support on this site. :sombrero:
the doetsch went so different from the rancho's or monroe's, just a larger shaft, lasted 15K.
COMPARSON SHOT!
8327_1178527416194_1018380139_30445990_1659523_n.jpg

8327_1178527456195_1018380139_30445991_6712442_n.jpg

Everything is supper beefed up on the bilstein! (they love to stay extended, making installation FUN:))
I got mine here, I shopped around and found they had the best price(but I wish rockauto carried bilsteins), and free shipping! took 6 days to receive my set.
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/
Also Enter "istayed" to get 5% off :victory:

Stan the Man

Adventurer
My stock answer would be Bilsteins or a similar mono-tube design, but since you're towing with the truck they may not be the right choice. I'd suggest making the performance per dollar comparison with something like the Monroe Gas Magnums (assuming those are still in production).
They're no serious off roading damper, but I was impressed with what they did for the driving dynamics of my Econoline.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Bils damping is superior, but A) I'm not sure that the difference would be all that noticeable in this application, and B) Bilstein 5100s do tend to fall a bit short when large masses are involved. The Gas Magnums are designed for the application.

What are you worried about with the shocks? Incorrect valving to start with or heating/fading issues?

If you call Bilstein they can special valve something for your needs. I don't see the need of a 2.5" shock or a resi, since road driving creates very little shock travel, which means there's not much heat being generated (so you won't need a resi).

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
In heavy load/axle applications the 5100's 14mm shaft OD is starting to be too small for the necessary valving. With a heavy axle & wheel/tire assembly the shock gets worked pretty hard. I've faded my non reservoir 7100's with a SRW (OE Alcoa wheels too) 14bff. It takes some doing, but I can do it without punishing the truck.

The Gas Magnums that I had on the Econoline did everything that I asked of that tow rig and more. I'm proposing them as a lower cost option that is likely to fill the need, not necessarily as a superior damper.

Alternatively I would suggest looking into the Bilsteins offered for motorhomes. They'll be built and valved for the loads and dynamics involved in towing. I'll guess that the rear shocks for a Class A front engined chassis will be very similar in mounting dimensions to a 1ton truck's mounting dims, particularly if you can find a chassis application made by the truck's mfg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman