Shooting Platform

H2O_Doc

Adventurer
Do any of you use a shooting platform (photos not critters) on your rigs? I saw one the other day and it looked useful (unable to ask the owner about it however). My one concern would be making something stable enough for an 800mm lens. If you have examples or thoughts, please advise.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
800 mm is a heavy lens and I have no direct experience with something of that size. But have you tried the simple route first? Something like this:

http://www.rue.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_5&products_id=7

e463.JPG

It can be draped over the window sill and then just raise/lower your window until it's at the right height.

Pete

H2O_Doc

Adventurer
Need to get high

I'd like a platform on top of the truck to get a little hight while shooting....gotta get above the reeds.

Thanks,

Paul

H2O_Doc

Adventurer
Currently, I have a '93 Toyota PU but am looking to get either a Tacoma (crew cab) or Xterra (2007 or 2008 for whichever I get). Its really more for the future vehicle than the current. That choice is a whole other matter of distress (I just cant make up my mind).

Paul
www.wagnerphotographic.com

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
That was probably my Jeep. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

47b7d604b3127cceba43e5d9b68b00000035108EatWzFu0cO

47b7d604b3127cceba43fa73778600000026108EatWzFu0cO

Photog

Explorer
Gear,
Yep. It was yours, that I remembered reading about. I added a link to your build page.

Your new rig is coming along nicely.

Is your new rack stable enough for lounging?

Photog

Explorer
H2O Doc,
If you build a stout roof rack, you may still want some type of stabilizers for your vehicle. Your vehicle suspension may allow too much movement, to use an 800mm lens successfully. What vehicle are you working with?

H2O_Doc

Adventurer
I plan to be working with a late model (2007 or 2008) Tacoma or Xterra. My current Toyota is old enough and small enough that I can justify replacement (though its been quite good to me).

Thanks,

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Photog wrote "is your new rack stable enough for lounging?"

Should be great if I every get the top sheet done. My fabricator's wife took a big spill on her dirt bike and has been layed up for months now.

Stabilizers would be nice if you are planning on taking pictures with a big lense. Both of my Jeeps have lifted suspensions which are greatly affected by the wind or someone else on the rack at the same time.

Photog

Explorer
H2O_Doc said:
I plan to be working with a late model (2007 or 2008) Tacoma or Xterra. My current Toyota is old enough and small enough that I can justify replacement (though its been quite good to me).

Thanks,

The Tacoma and Xterra have leaf springs in the rear. You might want to make an adjustable set of blocks, to place between frame and spring/axle. At least the rear won't allow movement, while you are up top. Max tire pressure too.

Not sure what to do with the front. Maybe something from the bumper to the ground (depending on your bumper of choice).

Edit: Here is a link to show how it was done on a Land Cruiser.

Last edited:

H2O_Doc

Adventurer
Wow, thats what I need.

I think the reality is that I might be able to use a 400mm, but not an 800mm on the platform. Of course, for landscapes it will be fine. Having said that, I shoot very few landscapes but might be able to evolve....

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Paul
www.wagnerphotographic.com

Lynn

Expedition Leader
A bit over-the-top for what you want, but I've got to give kudos to Rob Grayfor his live-aboard shooting platforms.

15721.jpg

Above picture is Wothahellizat1. He has spent the last year or so tearing it down and building a little smaller rig, Wothahellizat2.

I've really enjoyed following his build threads.

Like I said, a little over-the-top for what you are looking for. But I bet it's stable! :) :)

norseman

This is one of my solutions as fitted to my Unimog 1450L DoKa. A fully rotating hatch that runs on a ball bearing race (continuous 360º traversing), the internal diameter of the hatch is 24 inches so big enough for most guys to fit in comfortably. Not shown in the photograph is the camera mount which bolts on opposite the hatch cover.

Construction is mostly aluminum but weight is still around 50kg and the rotation is super smooth. I have to say these are not cheap as there is a lot of engineering in them, they are waterproof and the hatch itself is countersprung so easy to raise and lower, plus it locks open in various positions. If anyone is interested I can sell you one (PM me)

It will easily support the heaviest camera and lens combo you can find (other than astro scope cameras) or afford. I use a Canon EOS 1Ds Mk2 with a 600mm f4 with no problem.

best regards from David Gudmunsen

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior