Short Bed Unimog Small Pop Up Camper

SpeedAddict502

Observer
I was wondering if anyone around here has any ideas for a short bed camper with cabover and pop up for my Unimog. I have a Doka and normal 3250mm wheelbase, so the bed is quite short, around 6.5ft.

I am thinking about trying to fit a flatbed truck camper, but not sure if the cabover height would work. Anyone have any ideas for some other options?

Thanks!EFFECTS.jpg

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
I had a chat with Alaskan about making a cabover to suit which they were happy to do. My thoughts were to make a seperate Storage Sandwich (TM) within which to put fluids, spare tyre maybe, and access from each side, to jack up the camper to a suitable height to get cabover clearance when flexed.
Nice truck :)

Last edited:

SpeedAddict502

Observer
I had a chat with Alaskan about making a cabover to suit which they were happy to do. My thoughts were to make a seperate Storage Sandwich (TM) within which to put fluids, spare tyre maybe, and access from each side, to jack up the camper to a suitable height to get cabover clearance when flexed.
Nice truck :)

Yah I have seen their flatbed model. I just dont think I can get over the interior of those, really looking for a no wood design.

7 foot flat bed pod with 2 foot slant back. Height of pod even with the cab with a poptop.
Kevin

Yah I did think about that too, but who to make it??

CragMog

The problem is always the spare tire. We incorporated it into the camper, but it takes up a lot of valuable storage space under the double bed.

With a cab over, even a custom build with an extended floorplan with departure angle, you would need to retain your floorplan for kitchen, dinette and toilet. We use an Evershower which stores under the toilet. Your water capacity depends on how you will use your truck. For boondocking for a week, for two, you need 50 gallons, plus you need 10 gallons for grey water. An overcab poptop with north-south bed and storage down one side of the bed would be ideal.

We avoided the "classic yacht" interior look and stuck with white, either gelcoat or 2 pack paint. The primary reason is ability to clean. If you've ever picked up some Aussie red dust you will know all about that.

One other thing to consider is the strength of build. Your Unimog will go anywhere, will the camper? We built very strong walls, bump rails and poptop mechanism. I've already tested the bump rails once while driving through a forest. It was user error, but hitting the top front edge of the roof could have been catastrophic, but for the quality of the build. If you are just hopping between RV parks then ignore all of the above. Pretty well any commercially available product will do the job and for a lot less money than custom.

nathane

The spare on my u1550 is mounted on the front bumper. Gets it nicely out of the way and doubles up as a cow catcher!

Sitec

Adventurer
I see a cab mounted pod for sleeping. Make it overhang over the bonnet. This would give you a decent bed area and some clothes storage. Move the access hatch to above the rear seating area to do this. I'd then have a separate pod on the rear that is the same height as the top of the sleeping pod (for aesthetics). This would have a corner compost toilet and seperate corner shower at the rear... with a bit of thought they could be just behind the rear tyres and lower than the living without looking too low and motorhome like! Access to the rear body would be from the rear up a central stairs between the toilet and shower. This would lead into a simple kitchen/living area, with a reasonable cut through to the cab. Spare wheels would mount on the back wall and swing out to access the entrance door. This swing out system would also be on a sliding hinge allowing both spares to be accessed/swapped at ground level. I think that's how I'd tackle it. Can sketch it if you need.... Tidy truck too! :)

SpeedAddict502

Observer
Interesting, so the only way to get to the one on the cab is through the cab right? I was thinking pop top just because of how high the vehicle already is.

Sitec

Adventurer
Interesting, so the only way to get to the one on the cab is through the cab right? I was thinking pop top just because of how high the vehicle already is.

Yes. Access only through the cab as when off road the movement between the two pods would be huge. Add to that, its easy to heat and cool a smaller area. The cab pod only has to be tall enough to sit up on a double Queen or King mattress. 1.2m perhaps? Pop tops are great in hot countries... but not so much fun in cold climates with condensation etc... How high is the top of the cab at the moment? 3.5m overall height seems to be the golden figure.. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman