Short Bed vs. Long Bed

Joeprunc

Observer
I guess I'm a little late on my response. But personally for me I need a long box maybe 2-3 times a year. But with a 6.5' box I always seem to make it work for those few times. I live in farm land, everyone here has a full sized diesel with a long bed. Parking spaces, shopping centers, gas stations are all designed for larger trucks and those towing trailers, if I was only in rural areas I probably would have gotten an 8' bed. However I frequently visit LA (Torrance) for work, and I will have to tell you its a PITA to drive around a long big truck. I make it work but usually end up parking on the street a ways away from my destination.

Living in Santa Monica, how is your daily parking situation? I know parallel parking one of these hogs is painful, even in metered spots. When driving around in cities I am much happier with a short box. Where do you work, what is the parking there. (Our work parking lot was designed by an engineer, but didn't account for anyone with a larger than normal car). I cannot drive thru our U shapped parking lot with my truck if the lot is full. I know its stupid, but the simple truth. I've done some very light wheeling with my CC short bed, let me tell you making a U-turn on a fire road I feel like Austin Powers, and am thankful that I don't have an extra 18" plus longer wheel base to deal with. I'm not sure what types of trails you plan on hitting, but some trails I've been on with my Xcab Tacoma had a hard time making turns. Also plan on a lot of "Sierra Pin-Striping" if you are ever wheeling in the mountains with a full sized truck.

As far as camper options. Who is going to be camping with you, what time of the year (raining/snowing)? Putting an 8' camper on a 6.5' bed is not going to limit your approach or departure angle. But it is exposed in the back for taking damage from trees, Civics, and telephone poles.

I can easily load up three bikes in the back of my truck, who cares if the tail gate is down, I usually throw a gear back on it anyways and strap it down.

Again this is all my own opinion, so take it for what its worth.

But I do agree with the crew cab...so much nicer than a extended cab. Good luck!

I'll weigh in here I own a 2011 F250 excab short box with the 6.7 and love it it's a beast. I do wish I had waited on finding a long bed I wanted long bed but there just so dam hard to find I went short bed. I had an 04 F350 reg cab and and the 2011 250 has a much better turning radius. Now one thing you might want to pay closer attention to is if you will be getting offroad were high clearance is needed they have a tall tire on it (32-33") but will accept a 35 which I put on mine and quit frankly my 04 had a higher between the tires ground clearance (break over angle) than 11 does on 35's (285/75/18) and it ran a 32's (235/85/16). Oh and I have to say easist oil change ever on the 6.7 no tools needed, fuel filters just as easy just one or 2 wrenches. I know alot of the guys on here have a hardon for the cummins and if it wasn't in a dodge that would be fine, but for me personaly I wont own a dodge not because they make a bad product I just dont like the stuck up aditude of dodge motor company. But thats just me from my experances trying to make a deal with dealerships trying to buy a truck but the price was the price take it or leave it aditude that rubbed me wrong and have been a Ford guy ever since. They want to make a deal they want your business probably why they haven't been bailed out by the goverment twice.

SightPicture

Observer
When I originally went to look at a new truck I thought I wanted a CC. Well I found the truck I wanted optioned the way I wanted. Well it was out of my price range and I "settled" on my current ride. Blessing in disguise. My rig is a scab with 6.5 bed (the longer option). I am glad the CCSB was out of my price range because I now have a larger, more useful bed that I and the wife can lay down in with room to spare. Also the higher payload is nice. I'll probably not ever own a short bed. I honestly like the super cab config too. The only thing id change is the next one with be a 250 or 350.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
I guess I'm a little late on my response. But personally for me I need a long box maybe 2-3 times a year. But with a 6.5' box I always seem to make it work for those few times. I live in farm land, everyone here has a full sized diesel with a long bed. Parking spaces, shopping centers, gas stations are all designed for larger trucks and those towing trailers, if I was only in rural areas I probably would have gotten an 8' bed. However I frequently visit LA (Torrance) for work, and I will have to tell you its a PITA to drive around a long big truck. I make it work but usually end up parking on the street a ways away from my destination.

Living in Santa Monica, how is your daily parking situation? I know parallel parking one of these hogs is painful, even in metered spots. When driving around in cities I am much happier with a short box. Where do you work, what is the parking there. (Our work parking lot was designed by an engineer, but didn't account for anyone with a larger than normal car). I cannot drive thru our U shapped parking lot with my truck if the lot is full. I know its stupid, but the simple truth. I've done some very light wheeling with my CC short bed, let me tell you making a U-turn on a fire road I feel like Austin Powers, and am thankful that I don't have an extra 18" plus longer wheel base to deal with. I'm not sure what types of trails you plan on hitting, but some trails I've been on with my Xcab Tacoma had a hard time making turns. Also plan on a lot of "Sierra Pin-Striping" if you are ever wheeling in the mountains with a full sized truck.

As far as camper options. Who is going to be camping with you, what time of the year (raining/snowing)? Putting an 8' camper on a 6.5' bed is not going to limit your approach or departure angle. But it is exposed in the back for taking damage from trees, Civics, and telephone poles.

I can easily load up three bikes in the back of my truck, who cares if the tail gate is down, I usually throw a gear back on it anyways and strap it down.

Again this is all my own opinion, so take it for what its worth.

But I do agree with the crew cab...so much nicer than a extended cab. Good luck!
Thanks for the response.

I park overnight on the street, and the same for work (my current F350 is too tall to fit in our work parking garage). I've gotten used to having to walk a bit for parking.
I'll weigh in here I own a 2011 F250 excab short box with the 6.7 and love it it's a beast. I do wish I had waited on finding a long bed I wanted long bed but there just so dam hard to find I went short bed. I had an 04 F350 reg cab and and the 2011 250 has a much better turning radius. Now one thing you might want to pay closer attention to is if you will be getting offroad were high clearance is needed they have a tall tire on it (32-33") but will accept a 35 which I put on mine and quit frankly my 04 had a higher between the tires ground clearance (break over angle) than 11 does on 35's (285/75/18) and it ran a 32's (235/85/16). Oh and I have to say easist oil change ever on the 6.7 no tools needed, fuel filters just as easy just one or 2 wrenches. I know alot of the guys on here have a hardon for the cummins and if it wasn't in a dodge that would be fine, but for me personaly I wont own a dodge not because they make a bad product I just dont like the stuck up aditude of dodge motor company. But thats just me from my experances trying to make a deal with dealerships trying to buy a truck but the price was the price take it or leave it aditude that rubbed me wrong and have been a Ford guy ever since. They want to make a deal they want your business probably why they haven't been bailed out by the goverment twice.
I like the 6.7 PSD a lot.

I would like to find a Crew Cab version of my current truck (7.3/manual/4x4), but it doesn't make financial sense to get an old truck like that and get it converted to RHD to take back to Australia.

98dango

Expedition Leader
We have both at my house. 2003 chevy 1500 5spd long box that is used rough hauls every thing. I have a crew.cab short box that sees mountain time and tows out house

89breaker

Do what i did, convert a CC SB F250 into a drw. Best of both world and always have my 20+5 gooseneck for big loads.

Viggen

Just here...
As someone who lives in and deals with the Tennessee mountains, this made me chuckle. :D

Same here in Virginia. Showing a long bed going through the desert is not the same thing as trying to squeeze between trees. Im going to look at a 95 Ram regular cab, short bed tomorrow.

super04duty

Observer
I know this is an old thread, but, so far I have lived in SoCal for a year. First in actual, honest to God, DTLA, and now, Pasadena. It does take some extra effort sometimes, and longer walks in some lots. But I have never had a *real* problem parking my CCLB F350. The camper shell makes lane changes, especially on the 110 and 210 a little fun with blind spots, but when you drive a truck this big (I also have a 4" lift, and air horns) ppl tend to move out of your way.

Just always try to BACK into parking spots.. as its much easier to back into spots, and pull straight out, than it is to pull straight into spots and try backing out later. FWIW, my truck is a fully loaded '04, so I also have the backup sensors in the rear bumper, and as long as I don't have a trailer hitch in, which sticks out much farther, they are quite helpful with parallel parking.

MT6bt

Rock hound
"but when you drive a truck this big (I also have a 4" lift, and air horns) ppl tend to move out of your way."

amen to that! I love my quad cab long box. it's like the best of two worlds. originally I was a hater of long box trucks. they seemed just too long. then the day came when an opportunity I couldn't miss out on-a near mint babied 98 12 valve dodge. The two things I didn't like about it were the auto transmission and the long box.
Now, 30,000 miles later, I only despise the auto tranny, but the long box is something I am very pleased with.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
I didn't update this thread.

Late last year I purchased a used 2012 F250, crew cab short bed.
C5QBPBt.jpg

My friend has almost the exact same truck in long bed form (same year, color, and everything) and after driving it after I purchased mine, I am glad with the short bed decision. The only (big) pitfall I have is the tiny diesel tank. I've removed the emissions system, and am now working on routing the exhaust outside of the frame rail so I can put in a 2nd diesel tank inside the frame, but on the other side of the tail-shaft.

MT6bt

Rock hound
I'd have to agree with you on that one. if I needed a crew cab, it'd probably have to be a shortbox. the CCLB is just too long for my needs...

I didn't update this thread.

Late last year I purchased a used 2012 F250, crew cab short bed.
C5QBPBt.jpg

My friend has almost the exact same truck in long bed form (same year, color, and everything) and after driving it after I purchased mine, I am glad with the short bed decision. The only (big) pitfall I have is the tiny diesel tank. I've removed the emissions system, and am now working on routing the exhaust outside of the frame rail so I can put in a 2nd diesel tank inside the frame, but on the other side of the tail-shaft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle