Should I buy a 97 F350 Crew Cab LB, would love your advice

Jigidy

Hi Guys, I've been a long time "lurker" but don't post or comment much. Looking for your help. I currently own a 2001 1500 Suburban with 163,000 miles, it's been a good vehicle but our family of 4 is ready to step up our game in the camping world and I want a truck again. Thinking about getting a truck so we can get a slide in camper for light off roading but mostly just family camping trips around Idaho and occasionally southern Utah.

I have never owned a Ford truck but really like the looks of the OBS Fords. I found a F350 7.3 Crew Cab Long bed that looks to be in excellent condition. It has 187,000 and is listed at $15,988. It's in my price range, I don't want to spend more than $20,000. I have been looking at Chevy 2500 crew cab long beds with the 6.0 Gas but haven't come a cross one as clean and nice as this Ford.

A few of my concerns are
-how old its is
-fairly high mileage (although from what I hear not for these older 7.3)
-reliability. My wife isn't to keen on the idea of an even older/more mileage vehicle than we currently have but I really thing this F350 would do a good job for us. (Haul our family and any camper we find.)
-cold weather starting? We live in the cold mountains of Idaho and this would be my first diesel.

Can anyone give me some advice or thoughts on these trucks? Anything I should look for? Common problems etc.? Should I keep looking for a gas Chevy or jump on this one?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
00U0U_cScpRxuBENB_600x450.jpg

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Jump on that bad boy, last of the user serviceable ford trucks, best diesel ford ever used, still tons of aftermarket support, and clean to boot!!! don't be afraid of the mileage the 7.3 is capable of alot more than that with regular maintenance! and as for cold starting, good glow plugs, good batteries and winterized fuel make for a quick starting powerstroke, I've personally been around 9 different 7.3's that all started at -28 f. Buy it and enjoy the last of the good fords!!

Night_Prowler

My 96 with the 7.3 has 345,000 on it and the majority of those miles have been hard miles. As long as the batteries are strong, glow plug relay, and glow plugs are good you shouldn't have to many issues. If any of these are bad and it's cold forget it. The glow plugs are a pia to change and gets expensive if done in a shop. They are inside the valve cover and the gaskets are where they get you. The worst I have started mine in was 20 below. It more than likely has the block heater in it as well.
They are great trucks, with good tires a beast in the snow, and get great fuel mileage. The down fall is bigger trucks cost more to fix. Oil change alone is an easy $100 plus. By the way you can fit 35" tires under there without any problems.
See if he will come down in price any. Just for comparison in 2011 I picked up an 03 4 door 8' bed, dually loaded lariat with 65,000 on it for $24,000

That same truck here in Colorado would go for $10,000-12,000. The miles are not bad and these diesels do seem to last forever. I have owned mine for over 1.5 years now and have been happy with it. Just for comparison's sake, I purchased mine for $15,400 from a dealer in Arizona. It was owned by a 63 year old man since new according to the Carfax report. The newer F250s with the 6.0 have a bad reputation. I have several friends who own them and have not had any problems at all. One friend had a problem with his but it was due to lack of maintenance and not mechanical flaws. The upside of the bad reputation of the 6.0 is that they can be had for fairly cheap. Take your time and research your options, you will likely have whatever you get for several years.

INSAYN

Adventurer
Man, all this talk of high mileage 97' Ford 7.3 and I feel I've been lagging behind. My 97 7.3 Ford Crewcab 4x4 was purchased used in 2003 with 56k miles for $20K.
I pretty much only use it for my long distance camping needs with the 4 piece family, a few weeks a year. It now has 116k miles on it and still runs like a champ.

Somewhere along the line I ended up with a full spare set of factory Ford/Alcoa's in a weird trade.

jwpnrp

All above is good info. I would keep a cam sensor (only from ford or IH dealer) and 10mm ratcheting wrench / 1/4 drive ratchet & socket in glove box, learn pratice changing it before it gives trouble. sometimes they cause intermittent no starts or misfire issues.

Jigidy

Thanks guys. Really great info. Just read your comments to my family. I'll see if I can get them to come down on the price some. I'll run a carfax report on it as well. Looking forward to my first "build thread" no matter which truck I end up getting.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
The price is high, but clean examples are getting harder and harder to find.

If it is as clean and maintained as it looks, Id jump on it.

My '96 has more then 250k miles on it now, with no end in sight.

Easily one of the best motors and best trucks ever built.

If you are worried about cold weather starting, Id simply replace the glow plugs, inspect the valve cover harnesses close, and install a heavy duty glow plug relay.
With the glow plug system up to par, they have no problems starting in any temp. Still, a super duty gear reduction starter swap doesnt hurt!

amgvr4

Adventurer
I second the lower price comments. $15k is pretty high even for a perfect OBS powerstroke. I love mine and other than fixing some oil and fuel leaks it has been great the last two years and 20k miles. I'm at 250k now and it is still purring like a kitten. If you stock up on Dello 400 at Costco when it is on sale it really helps with the oil change costs. I tow with, wheel, and daily drive mine and it is my favorite and most versatile truck I have ever had.

Seabass

Idiot
Buy it!!! They are great trucks. I've got a pair of them (although one's a gas) they run forever and are durable as anything I've ever owned. The price is a little high, but not crazy. You aren't stealing it for that, however it isn't highway robbery either. Older diesels are holding their value right now- no emissions BS I guess. And easier to work on. I've had mine for nearly two years. I sold a newer truck to buy it. No regrets. And cold weather- you've heard it. Keep them batteries charged and the glow plugs hot and you'll be fine. Unless you can plug it up, then it don't matter. Good luck!

Jigidy

Thanks again guys. I'll see if I can get them to come down on the price. Really appreciate the feedback and support.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
My '97 pictured below. 240k miles, everything rebuilt (other than the engine) and I sold it for $9300. It's now in Peru after 2 years on the road with zero issues. Great trucks, but I think the price is $3-5000 high on the one you're looking at.

adventr

Adventurer
Did you mention if the truck was Auto or Manual trans? If auto, be prepared to have it rebuilt at some point.
5spd manual would be ideal in that truck.

Also, find out what all maintenance has been done to it.

That truck with little to no maintenance history is priced high, but if they can prove things like injectors or HPOP have been replaced recently, then that price is probably pretty fair.

Paul B.

Adventurer
Price seems very high for that much mileage. I've never said on these forums what I paid last December for my '93 F-350, 4x4, 4 door, 460gas, 5 speed manual, 46,000 original miles. Because I didn't think anybody would believe me. But it was less than a quarter of that. (Yes, real story!)

I didn't really know how good of a deal it was at the time. But looking back....I know I grabbed it right away when I heard the price.

Jigidy

That's pretty cool Paul! Unfortunately the F350 I am looking at is at a dealership...and they are 5 hours away so it's making the negotiating a little difficult. If I can get a clean car fax from them and get them to come down a little more on their price I'll drive over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle