Should I buy this T100?

RiverGypsy

I'm I the market for a T100 for the flippac I'm about to buy. I know there's a couple threads started about this already but I wanted advice on this one specifically. I've always wanted one of these trucks and thought I came across a great deal here:

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/4872198684.html

She initially offered to go down to $5000. Since I live in Bozeman, MT and the truck is in Iowa, I would have to fly to get it. Probably worth it if you consider that the same truck around here would go for $10000. Since I can't see it, I had her take it to a mechanic today to get it checked out.

Here's what he had to say:

Minor problems:
-some minor rust on rear fenders.
-needs new front brakes
-crack in windshield
-radio antenna won't go up and down

Expensive problems:
-needs four new shocks
-needs new tires
-the timing belt has never been replaced
-the a/c is not working
-the 4wd works but needs a new front axl.

The lowest she'll go is $4500. Is it worth it for me to fly to Omaha to pick this thing up (and drive it back across Nebraska-Ugh!)?

p nut

butter
That is what I call a zero risk purchase. Most or all items are pretty easy to do yourself. Buy it, fix it, and if you don't like it, flip it.

mnewxcv

Observer
other than you saying it needs a new front axle... sounds pretty solid and the price is wayyyyy right for those miles.

Skinny

Seems like a decent truck but I would have to say that price is too high. Looks solid but has been neglected for the last few years. 4wd not working, no T-belt, and cracked windshield reaks "I don't care". I think you could go down further. You are the one taking risk by buying it sight unseen and flying to get it. I know they are rare, well built, and quite a nice platform to build a wheeler out of but I wouldn't jump that far.

At minimum I would want a **** ton of under vehicle and engine bay shots. Even though a tech looked at it, we all have varying degrees of acceptable/mint/garbage. All it will take is to have a rusty fuel tank and some rot on the frame to make your dream a nightmare. I'm looking at lots of hundred dollar bills between doing the T-belt, water pump, all related service, new axle, windshield, fixing A/C (which could go upwards of a grand), etc. All fixable stuff but buyer should always beware.

Sorry, always end up playing devils advocate.

bkg

Explorer
Careful! I grew up in the Omaha area check it for rust!

This. I bought a 96 T100 in 07 from WI (lived in MN most of my life). If there is rust on the rear fenders, I guarantee there is rust all over the undercarriage. I couldn't even change brake pads on mine w/o replacing all of the brake lines (so they didn't get changed) since every thing was rusted shut... You'll likely end up cutting the shocks off...
Not saying don't buy it, but be aware of what you're getting into. You have $1-3K in parts/effort there, plus flight and trip back... so you're getting closer to what you'd pay locally... and something you could inspect directly. Personally, I've owned enough Toyotas (stopped counting at 50) in my life to be willing to pay more for a good unit...
EDIT. get a pic with the steering wheel cover off... Likely the pleather is worn through.

Arclight

SAR guy
That one looks pretty clean! You can always rebuild and fix mechanical stuff, but you can't do a whole lot about rust everywhere.

Feel free to PM with any T100 questions.

Arclight

austintaco

Explorer
Does that 2nd truck, the white one, have a bit of bodywork on the driver side access cab and bed or is that some odd glare in both driver side photos?

bkg

Explorer
Does that 2nd truck, the white one, have a bit of bodywork on the driver side access cab and bed or is that some odd glare in both driver side photos?

looks like the cab and box have been painted - they don't match well. I'd bring a magnet.

RiverGypsy

It does have some bodywork done to that side, and they obviously didn't match the paint too well, but I don't mind some cosmetic issues as long as the truck and engine are solid, which it seems to be. The bad news is that the guy with the flippac sold it out from under me :(

The whole reason I bought the truck and am flying to Seattle is because of the flippac. I signed the loan papers today and the truck is being delivered to my boyfriend tomorrow. I'm at a bit of a loss. I think I might just keep my 4-Runner? The truck needs new tires before I drive it back to Bozeman, but the way these Toyota trucks sell in this town, chances are I could recoup my costs easily enough....

I work seasonally as a mountain guide and ski patroller, and I live in my 4Runner 8 months out of the year. The flippac would have made life a lot more comfortable. Guess I'll start the hunt for another one :(

Arclight

SAR guy
That's a drag! Note that any camper shell for a first-generation Tundra will fit on the T100, so you can always keep trolling Craigslist for something. There is a lot more room in the back of a T100 than a 4Runner, and I camped in mine for quite a while with just a cab-high shell.

Arclight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179