Should I buy this T100?

p nut

butter
Forgive me for this ignorant post, but what is the big advantage of a flippac over a RTT? To me, it seems like a bigger pain in the neck to use a flippac, as you'd have to move everything (in the bed) out of the way to climb up in there, whereas with an RTT on a 4Runner, you'd just need to flip it open and crawl in. Perhaps access to gear without having to climb out would be a bonus, but can't see any other benefits. Maybe I'm missing something.

RTT makes even more sense, since you've already got a 4Runner.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Sorry to hear about the Flippac. That undermined your whole plan.

What do you think of pop-up truck campers? The T-100 is a nice pop-up hauler, with some extra versatility (some of the larger campers will fit). Is your 4runner a 1st-gen? I put a pop-up truck camper in the back of my '85 4runner and like it. You can also graft flip-pacs and other shells onto the back of a 1st-gen 4runner, or even a later gen if you don't mind doing some cutting.

I've also seen some great sleeping/camping setups in the truck bed under a shell.

I really like the space and weather protection of a pop-up truck camper, even though it's a bit heavier.

Last edited:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Living space. When teh FP is open, you can "live" in the bed and sleep in the top. I have a 1 foot tall platform for storage and can stand up in all the bed part. We have even set up the chair chairs and table in the bed on a rainy night to play games before bed. Far more comfortable than sitting Indian style playing a board game. For her trying to live in it. I can also cook, eat and get dressed in the bed, never touching my sleeping bags, etc. A RTT works great when camping "around" your truck, a FP allows you be be all within your footprint. That is the reason I upgraded to a flush-able/ order free toilet this year, several times in the deep night, the family didn't want to walk to the cat hole I dug or a port-a-pottie at the beach. I set up the Portajohn tent, but sometimes, they feel safer with it inside at night..)

Forgive me for this ignorant post, but what is the big advantage of a flippac over a RTT? To me, it seems like a bigger pain in the neck to use a flippac, as you'd have to move everything (in the bed) out of the way to climb up in there, whereas with an RTT on a 4Runner, you'd just need to flip it open and crawl in. Perhaps access to gear without having to climb out would be a bonus, but can't see any other benefits. Maybe I'm missing something.

RTT makes even more sense, since you've already got a 4Runner.

p nut

butter
Living space. When teh FP is open, you can "live" in the bed and sleep in the top. I have a 1 foot tall platform for storage and can stand up in all the bed part. We have even set up the chair chairs and table in the bed on a rainy night to play games before bed. Far more comfortable than sitting Indian style playing a board game. For her trying to live in it. I can also cook, eat and get dressed in the bed, never touching my sleeping bags, etc. A RTT works great when camping "around" your truck, a FP allows you be be all within your footprint. That is the reason I upgraded to a flush-able/ order free toilet this year, several times in the deep night, the family didn't want to walk to the cat hole I dug or a port-a-pottie at the beach. I set up the Portajohn tent, but sometimes, they feel safer with it inside at night..)

Makes sense, thanks. I was contemplating whether to go RTT or FP for my next truck. Hopefully, the c-channel frame can handle the extra heft.
:sombrero:

Apologies for the hijack.

RiverGypsy

What's an RTT?

My 4Runner is a 1991, 5 speed manual SR5, 4 cylinder 22RE. I bought it when I was in high school over ten years ago and I've been everywhere with it. I absolutely love it ("Pepe" is his name). I just got new fuel injectors, timing chain, rebuilt head, valve job, spark plugs, water pump, head gasket.... etc. There was a point where I thought it might not be salvageable, so that's when I started looking at T100's and found the flippac. I work seasonally as a mountain guide and ski patroller and spend my off seasons traveling around the country climbing, skiing, and boating. I've sort of always envied my friends with trucks, and even traveled for a couple years in my friend's 1992 Toyota pickup (same engine, etc) which had a flippac and I've wanted one ever since. Got Pepe back from the mechanic the other day and now it runs great.

I didn't really have the money, so I took out a loan... now I don't think it was worth it. I will probably try to sell it when I get back to Bozeman and save up for a couple years until I find another one (and try for a t100 with manual transmission).

Clutch

<---Pass
RTT is a tent that goes on the roof. Roof Top Tent.

I am still pretty spry and healthy, but I don't want to climb down the ladder at 3:00 am to take a wizz...I would chose a Flip Pac over a RTT, that and you live inside the FP rather than outside with a RTT. I had a 4Runner...I prefer pickups over SUV's because you can put campers on them...but that is just me.

IMG_1886_zpsb19adafe.jpg

Prescotttrailertesting312.jpg

RiverGypsy

Here's Pepe and me on what I believe to be my 21st birthday... parked at Shadow Mountain in the Tetons. You can see the first of many versions of sleeping platforms. It sure would be hard to sell this thing... not that people won't want it, but because I'm so attached to it! So who wants to buy a sweet T100 with low miles?

image.jpg

p nut

butter
I am still pretty spry and healthy...

READ: Old and cranky.

:elkgrin:

I'd have a hard time getting rid of that 4Runner, but maybe some time in the T100 will change your mind. One plus for the RTT is if you have to store it, it's not as cumbersome as a FP.

RiverGypsy

I see... Wow, I really have trouble seeing how an RTT has any advantage over a regular tent you just put on the ground. I don't get it. As for me, when given the choice, I'll ******** outside in a hole any day rather than use a real toilet :)

Clutch

<---Pass
READ: Old and cranky.
:elkgrin:

Ha ha...true true!

I see... Wow, I really have trouble seeing how an RTT has any advantage over a regular tent you just put on the ground. I don't get it. As for me, when given the choice, I'll ******** outside in a hole any day rather than use a real toilet :)

Oh I won't sheeot where I sleep, easier to climb out out of the bed of truck than down a ladder...don't fall quite as far. ;)

I did the sleeping in the back of the 4Runner and Pickup with a topper for years. The Flip Pac will shine when the weather is really bad, you know how those mountain storms come in out of no where...nice to be inside something where you can stand up, and move around. Especially changing out of clothes, little heater makes it oh so nice. I sure did like my VW Westy for that reason, just not as capable as a 4WD SUV or Truck.

I wouldn't sell the T100 just yet, another Flip Pac will come up for sale...bummer he sold it out from underneath you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179