Should I buy this? Time Critical

brngk

Observer
I've been looking for a 4runner for quite some time.

Found one today, 1995, V6, 186K miles, 4WD. Owned by a mechanic.
Recent services: timing belt, water pump, belts, hoses, fluids, plugs and rotor.

The price is $3300.

Thanks for the responses, hoping this can be a christmas gift.

Alex

fjatheart

Adventurer
The second generation 4runner is known to have head gasket issues. I would ask if the head gasket has been replaced yet.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
IMO that's too much for a 2nd gen with that kind of mileage.

Around here you can get 2nd gens with <200k for under $2k.

brngk

Observer
Interesting, thanks for the info. My wife would prefer a 3rd gen, due to wider stance, and better safety features. I'll go check it out in an hour and report back.

Thanks for all the fast replies, I love this place.

mattafact

Adventurer
Get a 3rd gen for sure. They ride so much nicer and the interior is far superior to the 2nd gens.

I own a 2nd gen (22re, ha!) fwiw.

4runnin4life

1st gen! Less technology... less room for mechanical failure. Fix it once and you're done. A headgasket change takes 2 hours if you're knowledgable and skip removing intake and exhasut manifolds.

4runnin4life

??Can that be done??

On a 22R? Absolutely. The trick is to utilize a cherry picker. Lifting a head with intake, carburetor, and exhaust manifold will:

1) Jeopardize the procedure of laying the enw gasket and reisntalling the head without knicking surfaces.

2) Kill your back.

With tools laid out, prior experience with a 22R, NO beer and NO dinking around 2 hours is cushy. Just let the down pipe bolts soak in liquid wrench the night before. And don't forget about the hidden coolant hose beneath the intake.

brngk

Observer
Didn't work out for me, as the wife really wants airbags. For interested parties, the price I think is being dropped to $3k. I'm putting a link up in the FS section.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998