Should I consider this? 1994 Montero RS

Adamdgus

This is my first post, but I have been here for a while reading and learning as much as I can.

I currently have a 1994 Jeep YJ lifted on 33's but it doesn't fit my needs. Not enough room for the family AND gear for play time. Plus, I am a Search and Rescue volunteer and the Wrangler is just too small for that as well.

So, because of this I am looking into a new vehicle that will fit both bills... So far the Montero is at the top of the list, #2 is the Trooper and an XJ is in a distant 3rd.

I found a 94 Montero SR on CL that has 218,000 miles on it, has a clean title, owners says it runs/drives great but needs a lower intake manifold to pass smog (CA). He is asking $800 for it, so even if I paid the asking price I would have several grand from the sale of the YJ to put back into the Montero... So with that does this look like something I should pursue further or does it look like a dead end road?

Here is a link to the CL ad w/ pictures.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/4544831977.html

**** EDIT ****
I also found this 97 LS w/ 140,000 for $800

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/4551506009.html

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:

KarmannMarco

Adventurer
The 94 SR seems like a good deal. Even as a parts truck its well worth the $800.
Have you asked the owner what makes him think he needs the lower intake to pass smog? How he was able to diagnose this?
Regardless if it has good bones it seems like a great starting point.

The LS not so much. No rear locker and a blown head gasket.

With any 2nd gen once you guys it first thing I would do is a timing belt / WP (not the cheap kit) and everything associated with this.
While your in it plugs , wires , all gaskets for the IM and VCs. Also most likely it has bad valve stem seals so it would be wise to knock those out as well ( especially since I presume passing smog where you live is imperative ). There's a sticky with all of the part numbers and everything you will need.
Set aside a couple of weekends and $300-$500 in parts for this.
Good luck.

Adamdgus

Thank you for the info!

I do not know how he diagnosed the lower intake at this point. I will send him a message and post his reply. $300-500 seems far more reasonable than I was thinking!

KarmannMarco

Adventurer
I bought everything from either the dealer or rock auto and didn't buy any cheap Chinese repop parts.
Everything to do the front of the motor and the top of the motor came to around $400 shipping included.
Included in that price was also an oil cooler line (mine were leaking badly)
I did not do the valve stem seals for lack of time so I do not know how much they cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears