Should I get a Subaru

keane

Observer
Unfortunately a couple weeks ago my wife was in an accident and rolled our 2006 vibe. We really liked that car and it is a 50/50 if it is a right off or not. So we are looking at possibly an outback or forester. Looking to spend around 8-10g. What years should I look at. Which motors. Ect. We already have a dedicated wheeling rig. So looking for one to fill the daily driving duties. Drive logging roads and pull a small 1000lbs travel trailer. Hopefully you can all can give me some ideas as what to look for.

Hodaka

Adventurer
Subaru would be great for PG. Like any car, look for one that has been taken care of, with maintenance record. If you find one that you like, take it to a reputable shop for pre-purchase inspection. I'd say 2003-2006 year range for your budget in BC. The Outback has a little more room inside, Forester gets slightly better mileage and slightly more clearance. Almost every one that I look at that has been owned by dog people has been poorly maintained overall, thrashed interior to start. The one I ended up buying was an exception, but still smells like wet dog inside when it's hot and humid, so figure that in if you're not into dogs. (Super popular cars for dog owners)

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
SF (98-02) and SG (03-08) chassis Foresters are pretty tight inside. 8-10 would put you into a later SG, thought it might be tight for an SH (09+) Which is where you get the extra space.

SF and early SG suffer from headgasket issues. 98's blow the headgaskets, 99-05 (or so) leak oil externally (not a huge deal). If looking at those look for a car that has had the headgaskets done already (BTW this goes for all EJ25 Subarus of that vintage)

Outbacks will get you more space, a more comfortable ride and nicer interior amenities. Outback is also available with the bullet-resistant H6 engines (EZ30, EZ30R) and 5 spd auto trans, though 8-10 might be stretching it for a newer H6 with lower miles. For fire roads etc.... the Outback will tackle them just as well as a Forester.

Mild lifts via spacers or springs are available for both the Foresters and Outbacks as well as underbody protection. I have had (or have in my family) every generation of Forester, Tribeca (another potential choice) and 3 generations of Legacy and Outbacks. They have all done everything I wanted them to and then some!

You won't regret it! We were looking at the Matrix/Vibe, but the Subaru is better in almost every way. We got the Impreza wagon, which seems roomier than it looks, but the Forester would be nice. I still prefer the Outback for space and a more traditional wagon look, but I roll with guys who drive both, and either one is a solid choice. If you happen to be involved in another accident, Subaru's are probably one of the safest cars on the road! If your Vibe was FWD, expect a little more in fuel consumption, but it is SO WORTH IT. The most stable, sure-footed, capable and balanced car I've ever owned.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Hey I have two dogs that come everywhere with me and I get compliments on how clean/how good my car smells. Just need to do a little more upkeep! Heavy mat in the back, regularly clean the windows (wet nose marks are brutal to get off if left for very long) and weekly vacuuming. Most importantly you need well taken care of and trained dogs.

I'd ask more questions like how often the car was shampoo'd, or washed. Look for clues on the car that it was taken care of. I know this sounds stupid but hit any cushioned carpet spots with a mallet. It will bring up a lot of smells that are masked by a recent shampooing.

If you show up and the owner already has the windows down, or there's a fresh deodorizer somewhere in the car that's probably not a good sign. You don't get the real smells of a deep down dirty interior until you park it in the heat with the windows up.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Subaru's are great little cars. I personaly had a 2010 outback sport ( the impreza wagon)
Way bigger then the vibe I could sleep/ camp out of the back when needed although I admit I am short 5'8

That car took me places it never should have and just kept going. It was the best handling car I ever had.

You mentioned towing so I will bring up my experience. my 10 OBS had a 2.5 liter in it mated to a five speed manual. I towed a very small trailer with my 650 BMW eduro on it 1000 pounds max most likely closer to 800. In side the cabin I had all my junk for living working and camping for a summer in Wyoming. Rocket box on the roof.

That car hated life. Simply put the transmission just is not designed to tow junk around with. The same motor in the forester is rated for something like 2000 lbs or perhaps 2500. I find that to be laughable. The car was really struggling. I admit I was driving through Ut and WY and ID. Lots of hills. I hauled the trailer with the car empty and it was still a bad experience. Poor handing, little to no power. Car was really struggling. For context, I know own a 2012 Tacoma five speed 4banger 2.7. Not a lot more HP but it is rated to pull 3500lbs. It has and it does several times a year with no problem. But it is geared to do so.

I have had two outbacks three imprezza wagons, and one super old school GL wagon. All of them were great cars. Look for one that has been taken care of. If you buy an older one that has not had the head gasket changed, just factor that into your budget, fix it when it goes and the car will give you many more years of service.
I found that the upkeep on the subies was a bit more then say my tacoma, but if taken care of they will run for ever. Hands down unless it is a clearence problem nothing beats them in the snow.
if it was me, I would shoot for the mid 2000's model Outback with the four cyl not the old boxy style but the newer rounded body that the only made for a few years before they were re done in 2008. My family has one in the fleet now and it has been awesome.

keane

Observer
Great info guys. Seams we are going to be looking for a 2003-2008 4 cly with a Manuel trans. I'm not to worried about being under powers with the trailer on as we don't go far and I'm ok with taking my time. Still not sure on forester or out back. Will probably need to wait and drive a couple. Now for motors is the 2.5 good enough or should I try and find one with a turbo?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Great info guys. Seams we are going to be looking for a 2003-2008 4 cly with a Manuel trans. I'm not to worried about being under powers with the trailer on as we don't go far and I'm ok with taking my time. Still not sure on forester or out back. Will probably need to wait and drive a couple. Now for motors is the 2.5 good enough or should I try and find one with a turbo?

I don't recommend used turbo-charged vehicles. Most are sport versions of whatever model, and have been hooned mercilessly by their prior owners. I'd also recommend against a manual transmission for trailer towing in a light vehicle.

keane

Observer
A trailer will only be towed occasionally. And my wife and I have yet to ever own an automatic and don't really want to on our next vehicle.

nasko

Adventurer
For what it is worth, I have driven my manual 2.5L 2004 Subaru Impreza for ~150K kms in Ontario. It has been through quite a lot, ice, snow, snow storms, salty/slushy roads. The winter conditions here are brutal, the little car has taken everything I have thrown at it. It is the most stable vehicle I have been in. I have towed boats (small aluminum boats with outboard motors ~1000-1500lbs) with it and have never noticed any problems. It does not have very high clearance, but for dirt roads it has done OK. IMO it is a great little car, limited mostly by its small size. Cheers

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Towed two different boats with our 2001 5spd mt Legacy gt till 2010. The new 2010 finally had a big rear seat and better cooling capacity so replaced the old 2001 at 180,000 miles with the 2.5 cvt OB. They tow fine but you run out of cooling long before power on hot outside temp trips with heavy head winds or climbs. 05-09 600-800lbs on a legacy or ob in hot temps 90 degrees and up you can run AC on the flats and the heater on the longer climbs to avoid spiking the running temp. I have many yrs doing that. No issues but I NEVER RAN IT HOT PERIOD. My second boat was 1800lbs all up car towed it fine but any climb in 80degree and up temps was a major over heat risk every climb. The H6 has the same cooling issues all due to the wedge body shape etc. The 2010 is dramatically different cooling system and exhaust are massively improved but long climbs and 100+ temps they do list a cooling limitation of 1500lbs for the AT and nothing for the MT. The Forester and Impreza are great but they are smaller platforms with smaller load ratings. Legacy or OB if your doing more than 600-800lbs trailer for sure. Turbo for towing is a no go they have lower ratings for that due to the heat they generate, that and they are not bullet proof like the 2.5 and h6 non turbos.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
A trailer will only be towed occasionally. And my wife and I have yet to ever own an automatic and don't really want to on our next vehicle.

Get back to me after you've burned the clutch out towing up a long grade. A manual in a one ton rig is one thing with a trailer, the puny single plate clutch in a Forrester or outback and a 1,000lb trailer is quite another. You'll be towing alright, you and your trailer behind a wrecker, but hey, it's your money.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
And you think the 4spd is any better? Unless he has a giant aux cooler hooked up he's going to fry that fluid in no time in an auto. And especially if it has a cooler in the rad, that heat soak is going to boil your engine coolant as well. I'm not sure if subies are plumbed that way though.

If you're car is really struggling up a grade, sacrifice your man card, put on the 4-ways, put it in 3rd and just chug along up the hill at a reasonable speed to not cause an accident. Trying to keep the car at the speed limit up a 10% grade with a 1000lb trailer in a 3000lb vehicle is just stupid. Everyone driving on a road like that should be aware of slow drivers/trucks in the right lane and it shouldn't be a problem slowing down.

I personaly drive a 2900lb vehicle with a 1000lb (usually less) trailer with a 6spd manual tranny and I definitely wouldn't have it any other way. You have way more control with a manual. But the manual tranny in my car is known to be pretty stout with a strong clutch so I have no worries. If your vehicle is known to have a weak clutch and it's used, it would be good insurance to go ahead and upgrade it anyways. But you don't want an overly grabby clutch while trailering either. You have to find that happy medium. I'm sure there's lots of info out there on the subie forums about trailering.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
For whats its worth,

my towing problem was related to just not being happy at highway speeds. I have no problem chugging along at 35 MPH and just getting there.
It becomes a problem when you have vast distances to cover through the mountains.
The subaru ended up getting traded in for the Tacoma because I knew I wanted to Haul fire wood, dirt, Lumber etc. For that little 1000 lbs trailer it did it. Just slowly.

In terms of the five speed, I loved having it in the car, I got a lot more control out of it compared to the auto. I do not know if it is still true with the newer ones but with the five speed becasue of the way the diffs were set up compared to the automatic I feel like I had better traction. Something about the amount of power to each tire and when it was sent where compared to the auto. I was also able to turn off all the traction aids and divert 25 percent to each tire desspite wheel spin.

At least that was my understanding. This worked great in deep snow or on roads that were nasty and I didnt want the computer in the car messing with my driving when I needed to keep my momentum.

I took the car up into the back side of the wastach range in utah once in the winter and was out playing around in the deep stuff with guys that were lifted and chained in their 4x4.

The only problem I ever had with the five speed was first gear. I was just too tall for real off road since they have no low range that meant a lot of clutch work ont he steep stuff or in tricky spots that i really should not have been in to start with.

Needless to say that car gave me 45 thousand problem free miles in the two and half years I had it and at least five thousand of those miles were off road. Lots of desert driving down around canyon lands and Moab, lots of Adventures up in to the wind rivers in Wyoming. Even one stream crossing.... That I do not recommend hahaah

Good luck with the purchase. I think you will be happy as long as you take care o the car it will take care of you. It might take some time to find a five speed. When I bought mine it was the only one on the dealers lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78