Should I paint my Ormocar GRP cabin?

pier1234

PG3.JPG

Hi,

I had tought to paint my GFK cabin but after 6 months living with it, I start to prefer keeping it as it is as to have it painted with scratches.

Is it necessary to paint it for higher durability?

Are there any alternative to painting?

Thanks for your comments

Pierre

Isn't it painted in white on the outside as usual on an Ormocar cabin??

Mine is painted grey matched with the trucks cabin.( as on option) The outer roof panel is still white for heat reflection , but painted for sure. The inside only the shower /toilet cabin is painted white , the other panels are left non painted white and after 6 years they are still fine.
Yes and scratches al around , I do a paint polish every year to get the minor scratches out , but the bigger ones are making part of the travel history...

Grts

Neil

Observer
We had our cabin painted at Ormocar.
I noticed that the GRP corner sections and skirts were slightly different GRP to the panels and were looking a bit yellower when damp. I didnt like this look so had it painted with a two pack paint and primer. ( Max Greiner in Permisens ).

I have seen some older unpainted cabins and the GRP had gone flat and almost chalky in appearance . I dont know if this harms the GRP

We are just about to paint the inside walls with a marine paint.

CLOUD 9 AT CROWBOROUGH.jpg

Last edited:

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Pierre, have you considered a vinyl wrap, possibly cheaper than a re-spray and you can add graphics etc easier. The vinyl is pretty tough and would protect the gel coat and maybe even help seal it up a bit better. I was thinking of getting mine wrapped before traveling outback, and probably with add some graphics to my truck before we head out on our round-the-world trip to make it look less like a military vehicle.

Here is some info on vinyl wraps.

http://www.fmldesign.com.au/First-Time-Vinyl-Wrapping-Gold-Coast-Brisbane-Vinyl-Wrapping-Newbies-Graphics-Gold-Coast.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears