Should I replace my DIY awning? Looking for something better...

Switch

Observer
10 years ago, I made this DYI awning
DSCN8053.jpg

Overall, it worked pretty well but it had a couple drawbacks:
1: There was no housing so I didn't like to leave it on all the time.
2: Unless I was careful, any metal parts that rubbed on the tarp would cause holes. And it needed to be secured so it did not flap when driving.
3: It took only about 5 minutes to setup but it took at least twice as long to pack up again.

On the positive side:
1: Attaching directly to my truck made it super wind-resistant and simplified the setup.
2: The optional table was really handy for longer camping stays.
3: Replacing the tarp was easy and cheap

In the end, the drawbacks led me to use it less than I would have liked or benefited from. You can't use an awning that you didn't bring with you.

All of the awnings I've seen for sale have a protective cover and simplified roll out/roll up features that address the flaws of my DIY awning. And I can live without the optional table. But I really want to be able to secure the awning to my truck. Has anyone seen a truck awning that can be attached directly to the vehicle? This is the most common feature of RV awnings...

Last edited:

Switch

Observer
Although it takes a few extra minutes to setup. It proved it's worth on a recent desert trip when it rained. The rain was coming in from the North West so we angled the awning down to create a rain shadow. I don't know if this is possible with traditional awnings that appear to be designed for shade rather than rain.

1712723708646.png

Reactions: plh

alia176

Explorer
I'd toss it and spend some serious mooolah!!!! You figured out something quite crucial and that is the effort it takes for setup and teardown. The easier something is to deploy, the more it'll get used. If you can afford a true "pole free" awning, I'd go for that.

Switch

Observer
I decided to give it one more season. I made a big improvement after my last camping trip. I upgraded the attachment points to the truck so I didn't need Bimini fittings with quick release pins. The new mounts snap onto the rock slider tube and tube on the rear bumper.

1713408372571.png

Old rock slider attachment
dscn7850a-jpg.409211

New rock slider attachment
1713408517117.png

Old bumper attachment
1ef38fdb-1329-481d-982a-29f5eaa86d38-jpg.409210

New bumper attachment
1713408490980.png

The result is the poles stay fixed in position before I have the tarp installed. With the old Bimini fittings the poles would flop to one side unless a 2nd person held them in place. Now it is free standing before the tarp is installed. Even without the cross member. And a one person setup instead of two. Which means my wife can help with the tarp instead of holding things up; basically cuttin the setup time in half.
1713408689389.png
That makes adding the cross member (and tarp) much much easier
1713408908061.png

Last edited:

Hnoroian

Observer
I thought I commented on your post when you first did it but I wouldn’t have changed it. I do like your modifications to it though. Coverage is nice and individual components I see as a plus. Take pride in what you have made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online