Show me your armor

Hi guys,
just wanted to see what sort of armor you guys have. I`m especially interested in diff covers and rock sliders...

Would be great to get some pics... :snorkel:

Superu

Explorer
Front and back

Front

IMG00032.jpg

Back
P9303506.JPG

Superu

Explorer
Both are aftermarket from Primitive Racing. Not sure of the weight.
They are 3/16" aluminum and have been very durable over tHe past few years.

corax

Explorer
I made this for the front diff out of some 1/4" plate that I had lying around - a bit beefier than I'll probably ever need, but it also ties the front and rear lower control arm frame horns together. The square bit towards the front was necessary to prevent the drain plug from contacting the plate.

100_7446.jpg

I also plated the front lower crossmember after I noticed it got beat up pretty badly on one particular trip
100_5270.jpg

Box Rocket

Few different ideas. I don't have any special diff protection on any of my rigs.

First off....sliders on my FZJ80.

_MG_1252.jpg

_MG_2612.jpg

_MG_2614.jpg

Sliders and skidplate on my old FJ40

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

franken-skidplate. Ugly but worked. Solid roundstock and some plate.
IMG_6821.jpg

Box Rocket

more.....sliders on my Tacoma (same design as the ones on my FZJ80)

IMG_7130.jpg

rear bumper slider that follows the lines of the sliders
_MG_0162.jpg

_MG_1442.jpg

Sliders on my old '93 PU (before paint)

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0012-1.jpg

after paint
_MG_6483.jpg

_MG_6465.jpg

Dual t-case Marlin Crawler skidplate
_MG_6467.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Ala5ka

VX'er
This is giving me ideas, I have the stock FX4 plates that I think instead of changing I will be beefing up, keep the stock fitment.

Box Rocket

Home made or what brand?

Looks like they stick out a bit, nice for body protection.

They are both from Trail-Gear. The ones on my Land Cruiser are the 67" Pickup version, but they have held up far better than expected on the cruiser. Right now, all they need is a little touch up paint, otherwise they still look new.

The ones on my Tacoma are the same thing they are just longer and have 4 legs instead of 3. You can purchase an optional kit with scab plates and gussets. They are designed to be welded to the frame (which is what I did) but could also be made to bolt on with a little extra work. They do require welding the legs on. The nice thing about that is that you get to determine how tight they fit to the body, how much the sliders are angled upward, the length of the legs which determines how far out from the body they are. For instance the ones on my cruiser fit tighter to the body than my Tacoma ones because that's how I made them.

They arrive from Trail-gear like this.....main slider and seperate legs.
IMG_7109.jpg

you determine the length of the legs and cut them appropriately

here is how I fit them for body clearance and for the desired angle of the slider.
IMG_7111.jpg

here is one all welded up with the frame plates and gussets
IMG_7113.jpg

then it's just paint, and welding or bolting them to the frame.

Ala5ka

VX'er
This weekend I'm doing sliders, and undercarriage plates. What are the most important areas to cover up? I'm thinking diff covers, gas tank, front skid and trans cross member, what am I forgetting?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears