Show me your best rover modification.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Ah, Scott: You have great taste indeed. I don't think I would go so far as to say we are slowly ruining the trucks as much as I would say there are tasteful mods and
"not so tasteful" mods. I love the modifications for Camel Trophy and most of the modifications that were done by Special Vehicles, but ... that said, they were not without fault (see Lara Croft truck!).
The great thing is that they can be modified to taste (be it done in taste or not).

The 130 is a thing of beauty as she sits. An 8274 Warn with an ARB would be a nice tasteful addition to that truck. When Dale Knepp had his, he had a simple G4 130 roof rack that clamped to the drip rails but was pretty much low profile and it was a nice touch.

All in all, however, the CT DI disco is my favorite truck when you are looking for something that says "adventure".

As far as my DI 5speed— The nicest mod I have to say is the Escape Gear seat covers!! They really dress the truck up and make you feel "Africa" when you climb in.
Thanks Equipt1 for those!!

Dendy

Wander

Expedition Leader
I didn't know you sold your DI Scott, hope it went to a good home.

I just changed out my door seals with the kit Will Tillery sells, very nice change as they are at least twice as thick as the stock seals. I can't say it's the "best" mod I've made but it provides a drop in wind noise and help keep the dust out.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Matt:
Scott didn't sell his DI - I think I can speak for him when I say he loves that truck and I believe drives it almost everyday. He is simply saying that next to the DI, his ultimate cool landrover would be the 130 crew cab with canvas back.

and while you brought it up, I have that set of door seals but haven't installed yet. How hard was it?
D

Wander

Expedition Leader
Oh good, I was worried for a minute there as his post had a past tense feel to it.

The door seals are not hard at all to change. Just pull the interior trim piece with the weather sealing attached off, clean up any glue residue that is there (there was hardly any on mine) and fit the new seal/trim. I used a small screw driver to pry a corner of the old trim to get it started and then just pulled. I used a rubber mallet to seat the new trim as I went. I also started the new trim in the top corner of the door and worked out and down from there. I did not put any glue on the trim or door surround as I was test fitting but I found the fit is nice and tight and so far it has not moved so I don't know if any adhesive is really needed. My final step was to give a good wipe with vinyl/rubber cleaner/conditioner. Let me know if you have any problems. I wish I had taken pictures during the process but I was a bit sweaty and ready to finish it before it got too hot.

Justin & Nadine

Best mods

The best Mods I did to my 1967 series11a 109 was
#1) Hybrid 1976 bottom end mated to a 1982 top end Mercedes benz 300D engine,
#2)Rocky Mountian Rover parabolics,
#3) Wolf rims with 235/85 R16 toyo M55 tires and of course
#4) Corbeau suspension seats

Last edited:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I really dig the 4.6 conversion in mine. But I think as Scott mentioned, the simpler the better. I am finding myself leaning this way for every vehicle actually. I think the hallmark of a truly great vehicle is that it works well from the factory.

brushogger

Explorer
Getting rid of the 255 55r 18 tires and going to 235 85r 16's. There is a much greater selection for 16" wheels and the tires are quite a bit cheaper. I didn't trust the stock tires in the rocks. For myself, the 235's are the perfect size for my truck. I got the Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires and so far they have been great in everything I've tried them on. I went with steel wheels just because I made a great trade for them. If the factory alloys were 16's, I'd have probably stayed with them.
IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_5359.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I don't think I would go so far as to say we are slowly ruining the trucks as much as I would say there are tasteful mods and
"not so tasteful" mods.

I am very careful to be critical of someone's choices, but I know from my own tinkering that there are vehicles that respond well to modification and some that benefit from few changes. The most enjoyable Defender experience I've had was with a totally stock 300Tdi in Chile and Argentina. It was perfect as is and even (dare I say it) reasonably quick). I am very happy with the current state of my Discovery, save for a few things. I didn't cut any holes or bolt crap on that I have wished not. I will likely redo the driveline slightly to correct some vibration and tidy up the rear storage area.

I would also have done the gearing differently, installing a 1:1 high range case and even lower axle gearing, like the 4:14 sets that are not only strong, but allow all the advantage of the 3.3:1 low range.

We are actually looking at an LR4 for Stephanie. For the past month I have not driven the Disco much- the Triumph seems more appropriate for summer.

Howski

don't have a pic but definately taking off my sway bars. i wouldn't recommend doing this with stock springs but it's fine with my 2" RTE. the truck is a lot more stable and the ride is a lot smoother without them. no more lifting tires then slamming down in off camber situations. it might make it uncomfortable for some to drive on the highway but for me it just gives me something to do on a otherwise boring interstate drive:smiley_drive: just need to use a little more caution and be more alert, which you should be doing anyways

LtFuzz

Explorer
First thing I would do if I were building a D1 would be rotoflex to u-joint.

Takes a single trip through a rock garden to figure out why.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78