Show off you Laptop/Tablet/GPS mounts please

Xodius

Adventurer
Oh oh oh.......I do, I do. However, its hard to read a map while driving along a backcountry trail. That's where the GPS/tablet comes into play where you can see where you need/want to go while traveling. Its basically a map on a nice size screen that follows where you are. You still need to be able to read a map correctly in order to use this technology!

Lol and I am always one on trails that have no cell service so I am on actual maps. I think the only way I could use most of these devices is if they are satellite. The GPS works but most trails I am on are not programmed or mapped. Lol. <----backwoods/desert rat.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Lol and I am always one on trails that have no cell service so I am on actual maps. I think the only way I could use most of these devices is if they are satellite. The GPS works but most trails I am on are not programmed or mapped. Lol. <----backwoods/desert rat.

That's why I use satellite photos trail maps. It tends to make following them easy. Plus, with GPS tracking, you can track and plan your own trails.
attachment.php

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
AFbronco, is that maps pro?

It is. I was testing out the tracking feature and have to say that it was pretty accurate with my GPS setup. Using google maps I can accurately look for the trails I'd be interested in following and keep track of where I'd been. You can download "screenshots" of the trails and areas you want to explore at different zoom levels. The screenshot I posted is about 2 levels up from street level, so you can zoom in a little more for finer details. You can do the same for elevation maps or street maps or any kind of map MapsPro can download and even overlay some like the elevation maps over terrain maps if that's your preference.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
It is. I was testing out the tracking feature and have to say that it was pretty accurate with my GPS setup. Using google maps I can accurately look for the trails I'd be interested in following and keep track of where I'd been. You can download "screenshots" of the trails and areas you want to explore at different zoom levels. The screenshot I posted is about 2 levels up from street level, so you can zoom in a little more for finer details. You can do the same for elevation maps or street maps or any kind of map MapsPro can download and even overlay some like the elevation maps over terrain maps if that's your preference.

I just loaded it onto my new surface. Can't wait to give it a whirl with that. We are planning a big trip for next fall. The wife and I both have surface 3s, and If I could use mine for nav, it would be great!

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I just loaded it onto my new surface. Can't wait to give it a whirl with that. We are planning a big trip for next fall. The wife and I both have surface 3s, and If I could use mine for nav, it would be great!

MapsPro has a nav feature. Granted, it still has a few bug to it, but nothing that would stop you from using it. All you'd need is a GPS receiver, probably Bluetooth unless the Surface 3 can use the USB port as a serial port. The guy who developed MapsPro, Fabien, works closely and directly with his consumers to update and improve MapsPro constantly. It is well worth the money paid for the nav maps considering all that you can do with it along with the amazing customer service.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Oh yeah, I was using it before. and I knew you were trying it out. I have a bt GPS module. I have it again now, and I have to make the in app payments to get it all. Can't wait to setup and try it out on a real windows tablet.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Pro Clip bracket and mount in a Wrangler

I'm using a Pro-Clip bracket and mount to hold the Galaxy Note 4.
http://www.proclipusa.com/
With the limited space of a Wrangler, and the lack of a steel roof, this works awesome.
It can be rotated to portrait mode to work as a dash cam. The HD bracket has the room and the strength to mount more than one device. :ylsmoke::ylsmoke:
Pro-Clip-w-Galaxy-Note-4.jpg

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
New, here, acutally might be my first post. Here is my relatively simple setup.

Ram Mount in the A Pillar, Pro-Clip mount and Galaxy Tab 3. Run back country navigator, Torque and CoPilot apps. Just installed this last week. Still need to get in there and get my USB charger mounted. Eventually hope to get a bluetooth light controller and a backup camera setup running through it.

It is out of my line of sight and sits higher than the visor. I also run a Proclip carrier on a dash mount for my LG Phone.

20151105_104124.jpg

20150807_120807small.jpg

dumb question

But after you order say an grip form ram mount where do you get the arms to secure it to some part of the in my case jeep. My thoughts are ( not sure if this feasible but to use a tripod type mount where one point would be to bolt it into the grab bar screw 2 drilling the side are of the dash and 3 mount to floor or console. But when I look at the ram mounts I see only the mount that actually hold the tablet and a little stubby arm. Any help is appreciated. I really want my gps unto to be vibration free,

AZAstroVanNovice

New, need advice.
i'm on my third "carputer". the first was a 8.4" touchscreen tied to a remote mounted laptop. the second was a Motorola XOOM 10.1" tablet. i'm just wrapping up the install of my new Sony Z2 tablet (details here: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4002). things have gotten simpler on each iteration.

one consistent piece to the puzzle until the latest version has been RAM Mount components - even prior to the carputers for GPS mounting. i've never had a single problem with any of their stuff. lately they are making less dedicated cradles, preferring instead to list the their X-Grip universal mount for most tablets. that works well from what i've seen with friends that have it, but it can look a bit bulky if you care about that sort of thing.

my latest mount is using a ProClipUSA cradle with integrated charger (actually made by Brodit). i'm very happy with it so far. ProCilp also has some adapters to work with the standard AMPS hole pattern so you can combine RAM, ProClip and custom brackets to get what you want.

the gadgetry evolution:

P1110123.JPG

P1070300.JPG

Was you Xoom mount capable of charging as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78