Show us your things that flip/fold/slide/pop or otherwise open out/up

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
After reading many of the build threads here I realise that one of the most interesting areas is the unbelievable range "things" people have made to flip, fold, slide or pop out or up from their vehicle.

Maybe a showcase for these inventions would be nice so future builders can see a lot of them in one place. Anyway I'll start the ball rolling with the deck of Wothahellizat Mk1.

19135.jpg

As seen when driving.

19134.jpg

Unlatch the outer cover (this will become the roof), gas struts lift it high enough to clear the lowering deck.

19133.jpg

Winch lowers the deck floor. The rear railing is just hanging there so it swings to stay vertical. Side rails can be seen laid on the deck. Chains will stop the deck at the right place, they are pretty strong but not meant to be load-bearing. You can walk out on the deck with just the chains but stay towards the hinge and only for erecting the side railings.

19132.jpg

Side railings now up, they pin back to the body and are structural providing the strength. The deck is now strong enough to use.

19131.jpg

Reach over and bring up the rear railing. That pins to the side railings. Then get the two roof stays and spin them into captive nuts in the roof and top of the railings. The stays have LH and RH threads and corresponding left and right hand captive nuts.

The structure is now very sturdy as it's fixed at all corners.

14205.jpg

Get chairs, binoculars, drinks and relax watching the whales.

13919.jpg

The deck was about 2M (6.5') off the ground (maybe more looking at this pic), made a really good vantage point and you could walk right under it. It also made a good shelter for the motorbikes.

Anybody else? Anything form a bi-fold table to a triple-nested slideout.

Last edited:

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
Rob Gray, you are in every way awesome. OK, I admit I've never met you, but I'm stoked to see you on Expedition Portal. I've been reading about Wothahellizat and your super list of "other WORTs" for years. I am pretty sure I saw http://www.robgray.com/graynomad/worts/wort_17/index.php on a Nevada or Utah interstate back in October 2005.

I don't have anything that flips, folds, slides, pops, or opens out/up, but I'm going to follow this thread with interest.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Shahn spend 100s of $1000s on that rig, he sold it at some auction where you weren't allowed to set a reserve (******?), it went for a song, $45k IIRC. He was not a happy camper.

It was at Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale AZ.

If I recall correctly the camper had been for sale for some time before it went to the auction.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
the camper had been for sale for some time
That's the biggest problem with doing an "out there" custom rig, it may be your dream but it's probably not anyone else's.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Well I like this thread idea, so I am going to say something just to get it popped up to the top again in hopes that more people will contribute!

I fully agree with Rob, the fact is that we often build to our wants and then can not sell it for nearly what we put into it.

The one linked above, on your sight Rob, says it no longer exists. Are there other photos somewhere that I can search for? I am curious which truck you are speaking of.

Cheers

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Oh, never mind, I found the link. Just did a search of your sight for his rather unique name... :)

Oh, Thanks Haf-e!

motas

Adventurer
I saw a van with a pop out shower. Had a solid floor pull out from under the body and then canvas sides. I have a picture somewhere but not very detailed. I would like something similar but don't have the height for it.

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
Wow, that Wothahellizat reminds me of Ark II (remember that show? That started the Expedition thing for me as a kid).

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Our shower is in the entrance, but we can hang the head on the front door and shower out on the slide-out landing. So that's similar I guess.

I never saw Ark II so googled it, that's some truck.

So to maybe help keep the ball rolling, here's the under-truck storage for some of our "gardening" tools,

31675.jpg

That's a pry bar, sledge hammer, axe, mattock handle and head all in custom cradles with clamps. (The garden gnome is a mate of mine). On the other side is a similar slide-out rack with long-handled shovel, spade and sliding bead breaker for changing tyres.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
What do you mean about a "landing" Rob? I do not recall a slide-out landing in your build, but perhaps I am just not thinking of it in the same terms.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
I just looked and realised I don't really have a good photo of what I call the "landing". It's the small platform that slides out from under the truck in front of the door, the steps hang off it as well.

16-11-2013 12-37-26 PM.jpg

The arrow points to the landing, the the half rectangle drawn in white represents the front door if it was open. The shower head can hang off the door if we want to shower outside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12