Show us your Toyota 4runner, tacoma or truck.

croz

Observer
yep. I've tried to build a somewhat expedition type truck ...that can crawl too;) RST is the poop for SAS, but I also like coming over here for all the latest expedition buildups for ideas.

EricBirk

Adventurer
Living out of the Tacoma for almost two weeks. A little video of some of the adventure. Quite a few dropped out of the group before leaving on the official run. Two 4Runners and a Tacoma. 4Runner without the snorkel is driven by one of the CT4WD Girls Team.

4838989322_c61d1196ee_b.jpg

4838989734_e4280b006f_b.jpg

4838990114_36c0199fa3_b.jpg

4838378331_0118d94646_b.jpg

4838379517_b134f69287_b.jpg

4838378713_7c75e61c75_b.jpg

Freeze,

Thanks for the great pics, they brought back so many memories. We just got back 2 weeks ago from Whipsaw, what a great run. It was our first time and we will definately be going again.
DSC01273.jpg

The only negative was not knowing exactly how to get around to the cabin @ Wells Lake. I followed a bit of BAD advice and decided to try and go through the mud hole. Turns out it is a bit deeper than it originally looked. The water was about a foot from the bottom of the DS window on my Taco. By the time we got her out there was 5+ inches in the cab. Unfortunately no pictures as everyone was scrambling to get me out.
2 days of work yanking out the interior and hosing it off to get the swamp smell out. Everything works fine and now my entire carpet is clean! definately worth the trip!!

freeze

Adventurer
Freeze,

Thanks for the great pics, they brought back so many memories. We just got back 2 weeks ago from Whipsaw, what a great run. It was our first time and we will definately be going again.
DSC01273.jpg

The only negative was not knowing exactly how to get around to the cabin @ Wells Lake. I followed a bit of BAD advice and decided to try and go through the mud hole. Turns out it is a bit deeper than it originally looked. The water was about a foot from the bottom of the DS window on my Taco. By the time we got her out there was 5+ inches in the cab. Unfortunately no pictures as everyone was scrambling to get me out.
2 days of work yanking out the interior and hosing it off to get the swamp smell out. Everything works fine and now my entire carpet is clean! definately worth the trip!!

Right on! Sounds like you also had a great trip! I ended up driving through that same hole water was up midway to the door! Then we realized the trail went the other way.

Nice looking Tacoma you have too!

Beautiful place and really like the signage on the trail that reminds people to be responsible. We need more of this.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
spent the last 6 days on the lost coast with the family. one of our stops included Usal Beach in the Sinkyone Wilderness State Park where i think the state just added their name so they could charge you for nothing. the area is awesome but the state gov has nothing to do with that lol
Anyways 3 generations of toyota on the beach at one time with no links to each other, says toyota is #1 in my book.
LostCoast077.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Lots of great older Toyota's here...I LOVE IT!!!!!!! Were heading out to the Alvord here in 2 weeks after a friends wedding in Christmas valey. se oregon is unbelivable, i've run the Owyhee and can say it's one of my favorite trips. the lost forest is high on the list of places to get and the 4runner is working terrificly.

Wheelingnoob; your SAS is looking fantastic. I like the lower ride height it just looks PERFECT. nicely done, my 4runner is jealous. Oh and i just noticed it's a 2dr as well!!!! Nice, that's a cool rare old 4Runner.

Cheers

Dave

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
Lots of great older Toyota's here...I LOVE IT!!!!!!! Were heading out to the Alvord here in 2 weeks after a friends wedding in Christmas valey. se oregon is unbelivable, i've run the Owyhee and can say it's one of my favorite trips. the lost forest is high on the list of places to get and the 4runner is working terrificly.

Wheelingnoob; your SAS is looking fantastic. I like the lower ride height it just looks PERFECT. nicely done, my 4runner is jealous. Oh and i just noticed it's a 2dr as well!!!! Nice, that's a cool rare old 4Runner.

Cheers

Dave

I would love to hear about the Alvord when you get back! I have had it on my list for a few years, keep getting sucked the the cool coast and sand tho LOL.

Thanks 4Rescue its been a long road to get it were its at now but all worth it. Really glad I stuck with the goal of 33's and low solid axle swap. Having the 2dr is great and a curse at the same time. I love driving it around and in the US I get lots of strange looks from Toyota people and then lots of thumbs up's. But some times having those rear doors would be nice.

blakeape

Adventurer
"Wheelingnoob" I love the stance of your 4runner. Could you give a little more info about the OME front spring and if you used a kit. How is the ride and how about a few more shots including one of the rear bumper? I have a 1988 4runner V5 5spd IFS as my daily driver and bunch of parts at home including a 1998 3.4, 1985 front axle, some extra rear leafs for a RUF swap, etc. I hope to put it all together this winter but maybe I should look at the OME leafs? Nice rig!

Last edited:

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
"Wheelingnoob" I love the stance of your 4runner. Could you give a little more info about the OME front spring and if you used a kit. How is the ride and how about a few more shots including one of the rear bumper? I have a 1988 4runner V5 5spd IFS as my daily driver and bunch of parts at home including a 1998 3.4, 1985 front axle, some extra rear leafs for a RUF swap, etc. I hope to put it all together this winter but maybe I should look at the OME leafs? Nice rig!

Thanks,

It started with a TG 3" IFS eliminator kit. Once it was done I was not happy with it at all. Way to high and soft, felt very unstable. I then started looking at alternatives, I looked at everything from selling it and getting a 2010 taco to just putting on 35" tires and not daily driving it any longer.

I talked to the limited number of people out there that have done low SAS on the 2nd gen and started getting all my data together. After lots of research I settled on the OME parts as they are the best in the business for quality and construction.

I ended up getting the OME Heavy load leafs from a 84-85 4runner (CS009FA x 2) for the front. As well as there Extra duty leaf (D17XL x2) to cope with the added weight of the V6 and the winch and bumper. I also got the OME shackles (GS4 x 1). After installing all the part I have to say there quality is so much better than the trial gear stuff I took off. I also installed 10" travel shocks to compensate for the lower ride height. The rest of the SAS stuff is the TG swap kit and whats left of it. A word of warning I would not use any of the TG bearings when rebuilding your front axle and would only use 555 brand FJ-80 TRE's.

I'm still not totally sure I need the extra leaf in the front and may pull those out and see how it handles that. As it sits right now its nice and firm and I have had no problems with stability.

Hope this has helped you out. I do not have any pictures of the rear bumper yet as I got it done the night before I left on my Oregon trip and still need to finish it.

Jeremy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78